PDA

View Full Version : Does the Marine Corps round up?

LilRingo
01-30-11, 05:02 PM
Hello Marines,

One quick question: I am 5' 3.5" exactly. For weight standards, do I fall into the 5' 3" category, or the 5' 4" category?

Thanks for any help given.

TheReservist
01-30-11, 05:15 PM
If you need to ask that, you need to work out more

LilRingo
01-30-11, 05:19 PM
Yes, I do. Haha. I either have to lose 15 or 20 lbs.

josephd
01-30-11, 07:05 PM
just make it 20lbs to be safe then, you start getting by on the bare minimum now you'll do it for the rest of your career

MGySgtSki
01-31-11, 01:04 AM
just make it 20lbs to be safe then, you start getting by on the bare minimum now you'll do it for the rest of your career

That's the truth right there.

To answer the original question, OP, you would be rounded up to 5'4" most likely. Really depends on the time of day, but anything over the half inch is rounded up (everything is measured to the benefit of the one getting measured....I'd say to the benefit of the Marine, but you're not one of those yet). The reason I say depends on the time of day is that you're taller in the morning when you wake up than you are in the afternoon when you've been upright and putting weight on your spine all day. You could be 5'3.5" in the morning and be 5'3.0" in the afternoon. Just lose 20+ pounds and you'll be set no matter how much you shrink.

Marine3451
01-31-11, 08:19 AM
Meps will most likely round down if your 1/1000th of a mm below the half inch line. I'm 68.5 inchs. Meps highted me at 68 but for the last three and a half years the Marines Highted me at 69 everytime except once and that was with the IG monitoring them. I always make sure Im bellow the Max for 68 some I'm always good either way

Casedizzy2821
01-31-11, 10:43 PM
Read the order. Also shame on everyone else for not answering the OPs question. Typical crappy Marine Corps customer service.

Source: MCO 6110.3 (www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCO6110.3.pdf (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCO6110.3.pdf))

(a) Height Measurement. The Marine will stand with their back against the wall, heels flat on the deck, shoulders back, with arms to the side in a relaxed manner, and head straight forward. A ruler will be used to mark the Marine’s exact height. Measurement will be recorded to the nearest inch. If the height fraction is less than 1/2 inch, round down to the nearest inch. If height fraction is 1/2 inch or more, round up.

(b) Weight Measurement. Weight will be measured on a calibrated digital or balance beam scale in the required PT uniform, without running shoes. A one-pound reduction will be granted for the PT uniform; however, no other weight reductions are authorized. Measurement will be recorded to the nearest pound. If the weight fraction is 1/2 pound or less, round down to the nearest pound. If more than 1/2 pound, round up.

MGySgtSki
01-31-11, 11:55 PM
Read the order. .

Source: MCO 6110.3 (www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCO6110.3.pdf (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/www.yuma.usmc.mil/services/legal/documents/MCO6110.3.pdf))

(a) Height Measurement. The Marine will stand with their back against the wall, heels flat on the deck, shoulders back, with arms to the side in a relaxed manner, and head straight forward. A ruler will be used to mark the Marine’s exact height. Measurement will be recorded to the nearest inch. If the height fraction is less than 1/2 inch, round down to the nearest inch. If height fraction is 1/2 inch or more, round up.

(b) Weight Measurement. Weight will be measured on a calibrated digital or balance beam scale in the required PT uniform, without running shoes. A one-pound reduction will be granted for the PT uniform; however, no other weight reductions are authorized. Measurement will be recorded to the nearest pound. If the weight fraction is 1/2 pound or less, round down to the nearest pound. If more than 1/2 pound, round up.

That's pretty much what I said.