PDA

View Full Version : Size limit in Marine Corps.

naush317
01-29-11, 10:32 PM
I am still in high school yet i am 6'7" and I want to enlist. Is there a size limit or anything like that that i should be concerned about? My dad was talking to some Marines who said that if I got any bigger (6'9" I think) I would have to become an officer, whereas a friend of mine who is a former gunnery sergeant said I just wouldn't be able to be a pilot or drive a tank (none of those appeal to me). Is there a size limit and if so what is it?

Quinbo
01-29-11, 10:51 PM
I'm not positive but I've heard it is 6'9" We had a Marine when I was in barracks duty that was 6' 9" and he wasn't allowed to march in the evening parades because he looked like a giraffe in a hurt of wart hogs.

0351 Corporal
01-30-11, 02:05 AM
It looks to be 80", 6.6 feet (6.7 if you round up). That is only because the height chart for new Marine enlisted only goes to 80". If that's the case try to go for a waver, they are hard as he'll to get approved, but you may be able to get in through affirmative action.

It would have been awesome to have a 6'7" machine gunner in the luge, and of course as backup in the bars.

hbharrison
01-30-11, 06:51 AM
Back win I came in we had one in ITR that was 6'10" he stayed to the end but was let go becuase they said his feet were to big and they could not fit him with shoes size 15. Still have a pic of him in our ITR unit pic.

Zulu 36
01-30-11, 08:39 AM
I am still in high school yet i am 6'7" and I want to enlist. Is there a size limit or anything like that that i should be concerned about? My dad was talking to some Marines who said that if I got any bigger (6'9" I think) I would have to become an officer, whereas a friend of mine who is a former gunnery sergeant said I just wouldn't be able to be a pilot or drive a tank (none of those appeal to me). Is there a size limit and if so what is it?

If you get any taller, they'll make you the periscope on a submarine. Just kidding.:D

The Gunny is right about some jobs, they can only stuff certain sized people into their "work space." As far as height maximums, officer candidates would pretty much come under the same restrictions as enlisted.

naush317
01-30-11, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the help which brings me to my second question, I would like to be a machine gunner. I don't really have a clear idea about what they do other than well, use the mk19, 50, and 240.

Zulu 36
01-30-11, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the help which brings me to my second question, I would like to be a machine gunner. I don't really have a clear idea about what they do other than well, use the mk19, 50, and 240.

That about sums it up. Except for the carrying them all over hell's creation. Not so much the .50 and Mk19, but the 240, yes. There are some more technical things you learn, but mostly you learn those guns inside and out.

Now, the guys in your outfit would probably be more than pleased to let your big azz carry the pig. :D

Old Marine
01-30-11, 01:02 PM
Why would you want to operate a MG. You are already a big enough target.

0351 Corporal
01-30-11, 03:43 PM
If you get any taller, they'll make you the periscope on a submarine. Just kidding.:D

LOL!!!

If you can't get in, just go to the NBA and make millions :marine:

SGT7477
01-30-11, 04:05 PM
Shoot as big as you are you could handle two of them, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-11, 07:23 PM
Run a search here for "Machine Gunner" and 0331. Lots of info. Try google as well.