PDA

View Full Version : When Collars buttoned and trousers Unbloused

watson54
01-29-11, 08:11 PM
When Collars buttoned and trousers Unbloused

we knew that it was first phase. or your platoon, didnt know right
from left. like everyone in boot camp, the pride in drilling. as
a team. and being full of pride, we would do good in drill. unbutton the collars blouse the trousers. maybe the smoking lamp would be lit we all know what was next. button collars
unblouse the trouser, then a nice pit call, my favorites are mountain climbers
bends and thrust, make it rain ladies, but when we got to third phase
we were so proud and the title Marine, was so near. Semper Fi

Mongoose
01-29-11, 08:31 PM
It really made you feel like the lowest form of life on the planet.

Old Marine
01-29-11, 10:01 PM
When I attended Recruit Training I do not remember any phase's. Maybe it was because I was so scared that everything was a blur. The one thing I was glad to see were the bus's pull up and load us up for the trip to town. I do not remember if we even had a graduation ceremony. I do remember the D.I's collecting $5.00 per recruit to pay for the blankets that were missing, so we did not have to empty our sea bags Ha. When I got off boot leave and reported to Tent Camp Two at Pendleton, I really enjoyed that training. Got to shoot the BAR from the hip at pop up targets. Then it was up to Pickle Meadows for Cold Weather Training, then to Treasure Island and a boat ride to Korea with the 38th draft.

Quinbo
01-29-11, 10:59 PM
I'm boot to ya all but they also made us do the same. Also a couple times in 3rd phase he had to button unblouse, furl the guidon and carry it upside down cause our senior was so ashamed of us he didn't want anyone to know we were in 3rd phase. I can't remember what the infraction was. 10 straight hours in the pit would have been more enjoyable than that.

hbharrison
01-29-11, 11:52 PM

Gentlmen we was MAGGOTS !

radio relay
01-30-11, 07:42 AM
I don't remember phases either. Just one day they said we could blouse our trousers, and then a few weeks later we were allowed to unbutton our collars. We did have a graduation ceremony in the base theater, and were allowed to wander around MCRD for the afternoon, but could not leave base.

The DI's took their leave, and later in the day we were loaded into cattle cars and taken up to ITR, where we spent the next month in Infantry training. ITR wasn't much different than boot camp, except that we were in tents rather than quonset huts, and could go to the PX, or down to the beach, or over to mainside on weekends. No liberty.

After ITR, we got our orders for our respective MOS schools and a 30 day leave.

DrZ
01-30-11, 07:51 AM
To me the most miserable part of 1st phase was seeing the recruits who were getting ready to graduate in their boots that gleamed, starched utilities (old school) marching in a perfect formation making a single sound.

I felt like worse than anything the DI called us.

What kept me going everyday is knowing that sooner or later...if lucky and smart... I would be one of those recruits getting ready to graduate and would know I could be the driving force for many other 1st phase recruits.

Mongoose
01-30-11, 10:51 AM
I remember, we had to go over to the Navy side to do our drown proofing training. I dont remember the reason. Anyway, we wasnt marching to suit the D.I. So we had to button up, and unblouse. He made us march with our arms inter-locked, and on our tip toes. We also had to whistle while we did all that. All those Navy men looked at us coming down the road and died laughing. I felt like my whole world just ended. It was one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened to me. S/F

Old Marine
01-30-11, 12:24 PM
I remember, we had to go over to the Navy side to do our drown proofing training. I dont remember the reason. Anyway, we wasnt marching to suit the D.I. So we had to button up, and unblouse. He made us march with our arms inter-locked, and on our tip toes. We also had to whistle while we did all that. All those Navy men looked at us coming down the road and died laughing. I felt like my whole world just ended. It was one of the most embarrassing things that ever happened to me. S/F

Hazing a platoon of privates in front of a bunch of squids. Shame,Shame.

Bet those squids were glad they were getting crapped on by the sea gulls.:evilgrin:

Mongoose
01-30-11, 01:52 PM
And that was at San Diego, Billy---imagine the very tough training you would have had at Parris Island. LOL
Your absolutely right, Dave. I can only imagine about the training at P.I. However, I did get a little R&R while I was in Nam. Can I count that?

watson54
03-02-11, 07:23 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW, USS JOHN P. MURTHA

The USS John P. Murtha will be an amphibious transport vessel

Construction on the ship has not yet begun,

spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said he is sticking with his decision to name a warship for the Pennsylvania Democrat.

TunTvrnWarrior
03-02-11, 07:42 PM
I dont think the bucket of bolts will stay together. The keel will be made of Jello.

OLE SARG
03-02-11, 07:50 PM
I think a garbage hauling pos tug boat would be appropriate for the pussy murtha name!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fvcking crook!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

tracs1833
03-02-11, 07:53 PM

As a boot, I was convinced we were the lowest form of life on the planet. After all, we could never do anything right. Just ask that nice man with the 'funny cowboy hat'.

tracs1833
03-02-11, 08:00 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE NEW, USS JOHN P. MURTHA

The USS John P. Murtha will be an amphibious transport vessel

Construction on the ship has not yet begun,

spokeswoman for Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said he is sticking with his decision to name a warship for the Pennsylvania Democrat.

What do I think about it... Not Much!!!!
Why not name the next one the Hanoi Jane Fonda?
Murtha was a Marine, and he may have done excellent service when he was in. But, in my book, when he started calling our guys murderers and publicly convicting them, he reneged on his oath of loyalty and fidelity. If he had any definitive proof of guilt, he should have taken it to the court. Under no circumstances should he have used his political office to express his undocumented personal position to the news.

Wyoming
03-02-11, 08:28 PM
I think, we bloused and unbuttoned after the rifle range??

Tennessee Top
03-03-11, 01:41 AM
One of our DI's had a girlfriend he called "sweetpea".

Sweetpea would drive her vehicle up to one of the chain-link fences and stand next to it in cut-off jeans and a halter-top. The DI would march us over there, put us in a school circle, and let us gawk at her for a couple minutes while they talked. I think every recruit in my platoon had a crush on Sweetpea...I know I did. They should've put a pic of her in our platoon yearbook.

advanced
03-03-11, 05:41 AM
From what I remember at PI we had 5 phases. Phases 1-2 are a blur to me, I don't remember much difference, 3 was the range, 4 was a week of mess duty, and 5 was preparing for final inspection, Elliot's Beach, and graduation.

In 5th phase we finally bloused our boots and wore our top button unbuttoned. We received our MOS's the morning of graduation and that morning we were finally called Marines.

During drill in the early phases we ****ed off the DI's because we weren't cracking our rifles hard enough. So we were made to get down on all 4's and in cadence we had to smack the grinder with our hands to toughen up our little lilly white hands "Not you Napoleon" (he was a black from MS.)

Our worst punishment was when we were told that maybe we did not pack the gear to be real Marines. We were told that many of us should have joined the Army, the Navy, the AF or maybe we should have gone to SD and become Hollywood Marines because of the slack they received.

Silentwarrior17
03-03-11, 07:16 AM
After all, we could never do anything right. Just ask that nice man with the 'funny cowboy hat'.:evilgrin: lol

This started off my morning with a huge laugh. It's going to be a good day now.

sscjoe
03-03-11, 07:40 AM
Question? I graduated from P.I. in Feb. of '76 and there was no I.T.R. We graduated and went on 10 day leave and then off to school. Does anyone know why they stopped I.T.R. during that period?

TunTvrnWarrior
03-03-11, 07:48 AM
Question? I graduated from P.I. in Feb. of '76 and there was no I.T.R. We graduated and went on 10 day leave and then off to school. Does anyone know why they stopped I.T.R. during that period?

It is my understanding that it was due to budget cuts. It was not until General Al Gray re-instituted "Warrior" training (what is now called MCT) that it was brought back in the late 1980's. All we had was "RFTD" which was a week of quasi-infantry training during boot camp until they re-introduced a form of I.T.R.

0331 2 0369
03-03-11, 08:05 AM
To me the most miserable part of 1st phase was seeing the recruits who were getting ready to graduate in their boots that gleamed, starched utilities (old school) marching in a perfect formation making a single sound.

I felt like worse than anything the DI called us.

What kept me going everyday is knowing that sooner or later...if lucky and smart... I would be one of those recruits getting ready to graduate and would know I could be the driving force for many other 1st phase recruits.

I totally agree. Every time I saw those 3rd Phase Recruits, all I could think about was, that will be me one of these days. They looked like a fine well oiled machine will we had to "mob" around. "Hippity Hop Mob Stop".