PDA

View Full Version : What benefits do you get from Infantry?

sdmcgoey
01-28-11, 09:46 PM
What benefits do you get from Infantry? Because I'm planning on enlisting soon but don't know which MOS to pick. I'm really interested in Aviation Mechanics and other types of Mechanics, but Infantry sounds like its more prideful, and a fun challenge. I actually would like a career as a helicopter mechanic (for example) once I go back to civilian life. But I'm wondering if the Infantry adventure would be worth it and I could go to college while I'm enlisted (if possible). What is it that makes Marines want to join Infantry the most?

thewookie
01-28-11, 10:00 PM
What benefits do you get from Infantry? Because I'm planning on enlisting soon but don't know which MOS to pick. I'm really interested in Aviation Mechanics and other types of Mechanics, but Infantry sounds like its more prideful, and a fun challenge. I actually would like a career as a helicopter mechanic (for example) once I go back to civilian life. But I'm wondering if the Infantry adventure would be worth it and I could go to college while I'm enlisted (if possible). What is it that makes Marines want to join Infantry the most?

The chow.

R Landry
01-28-11, 10:02 PM
Here's a view from an Army Infantryman:

I can tell you this having served as an Infantryman for most of my career. The Infantry is a branch that offers both challenge and Pride.

No other branch of the Army (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#) offers the level of challenge and pride that you will get from being an Infantryman. The Infantry is the core of the Army Everything else is designed to support it. Everything.

Having said that service and sacrifice of all other soldiers (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#) is not any less. From the Cook to the Personnel clerk. They all have a specific duty that helps the Infantry complete their mission. Their duties help to keep the Infantry focused on winning and bring everyone back home (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#) safely. Do not ever discount the soldier who never leaves the FOB or goes outside the wire you need them to accomplish your mission.

I am currently serving as a Signal soldier in the US Army (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#) Reserve. Though I do not regret going signal I miss the Infantry a lot.

As far as your family is concerned. Their concerns are valid ones. By joining the Infantry you are voluntarily putting yourself at much higher risk than anything else. It is also ultimately YOUR decision to make. I joined the Infantry because I wanted the challenge that it offered. I do not regret it to this day. I am most proud of my service as an Infantryman and can look down at the EIB on my chest with pride. My EIB is one of the things that I consider a lifetime achievement. It represents the trials and hardships that I endured as an Infantryman. It also represents the pride that I have from earning it and shows that I do indeed hold the 11B MOS.

As an Infantry soldier you are held to a MUCH higher standard in the US Army (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#). The Infantry branch prides itself upon being the most fit, well trained, best disciplined fighting soldiers in the world. The rigors of your job as an Infantryman require that you be just that. Your training will be second to none and Yes it will suck at times but that just all goes into that thing we call pride in the end.

When others are sleeping cozy in their beds or sitting in their nice heated or air conditioned offices the Infantry soldier is out busting brush, sleeping on the ground in the rain / mud or snow freezing his butt off, trading rounds with the enemy, and on foot patrol through little villages that no one will ever want to go to or even think about.

There are many exciting MOSs that offer great opportunities, rewarding experiences, training, and job skills for use after your service is done. my opinion is that none of them offer the amount of pride and esprit de corps that the Infantry does. No your job skills aren't transferable outside of the military (http://community.armystudyguide.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2961093521/m/921109394#) except for security and Law Enforcement but that's not Why I joined. I joined the Infantry because I wanted to be able to say to myself that I was and am proud of my service and that I did something worthwhile, rewarding, and honorable.

sdmcgoey
01-28-11, 10:08 PM
Wow thank you alot for that post.
the wookie... not so much

R Landry
01-28-11, 10:12 PM
Sorry for the sloppy post above. But I think that the point is well made for the infantry. Good luck!

thewookie
01-28-11, 10:32 PM
Wow thank you alot for that post.
the wookie... not so much
I didn't help, ooh too bad, you want to know what benefits or how much FUN it will be, even though you want to be a helicopter mechanic down the road,,, c'mon - get real. The benefit is being a US Marine. It isn't always fun or glorious, you will not likely go to school either, and it isn't xbox.

sdmcgoey
01-28-11, 10:47 PM
I didn't help, ooh too bad, you want to know what benefits or how much FUN it will be, even though you want to be a helicopter mechanic down the road,,, c'mon - get real. The benefit is being a US Marine. It isn't always fun or glorious, you will not likely go to school either, and it isn't xbox.

Well I'm good at xbox so I thought I would be a 0326 -- Reconnaissance Man, Parachute and Combatant Diver Qualified.
It should be no sweat.

josephd
01-28-11, 10:52 PM
being a smarta$$ isn't going to get you anywhere on here

sdmcgoey
01-28-11, 10:59 PM
is being Infantry 100 times more bad ass than non Infantry Marines?

jrhd97
01-28-11, 11:01 PM
The benefits are you get to sleep in the mud, hump a heavy pack in extreme heat and humidity, you get to be a buffet for every bug known to man, you pound your knees into oblivion, torture your back, screw up your hearing, eat some unidentifiable chow in little containers trucked in from the chow hall, learn how to make MRE's a little better.
The benefit is earning the title, not what you can get from being a grunt.

jrhd97
01-28-11, 11:04 PM
If you are going to be in our house, follow the site rules and fill out a profile.

sdmcgoey
01-28-11, 11:11 PM
I think I'm going to be a s*** tanker

Mongoose
01-29-11, 06:32 AM
I think I'm going to be a s*** tanker
Well, I hope its in the Army, not our beloved Marine Corps!

advanced
01-29-11, 07:54 AM
Well I'm good at xbox so I thought I would be a 0326 -- Reconnaissance Man, Parachute and Combatant Diver Qualified.
It should be no sweat.

Unlike playing "games" like xbox being Marine Corps Infantry you actually get to kill people in real life. Sometimes, if you're real close, you can even hear the sounds and smells they make as they die.

Kid, hasn't anyone told you that the smart-ass mos you seem to be qualified for is an army mos. Don't leave mad, just leave.

sparkie
01-29-11, 08:32 AM
Kids r kids. I quit worryin about the young and dumb long ago.

Phantom Blooper
01-29-11, 08:41 AM
This is a dumbazz question.....a waste of sperm and bandwidth!

advanced
01-29-11, 08:44 AM
This is a dumbazz question.....a waste of sperm and bandwidth!

Yeah, it's a slow day.