PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Marine

davidmacrina
01-28-11, 03:16 PM
my name is david, i am 16. i am 100% planning on enlisting in the marine corps, which i am so pumped for. i have a few questions though, due to the fact that im 16, legally recruiters cannot talk to me. or at least that is what he told me. but yeah here it goes:

1. my first concern is that i have a minor bleeding disorder called Von Willebrand Disease. its very mild and i grew out of it. it was a lot worse as a child, i would just get nosebleeds. i get one every so often now, but it just takes me a little longer for blood to clot than normal blood. i have heard that it will disqualify me and i've also heard that if it is mild, you may be able to get a waiver for it. i would like another opinion on it.

2. i am really getting serious about working out to prepare for boot camp. i am 5'8" 208lb. what the recruiter did tell me is that i will have to get down to 199, maximum weight. i have been searching around for a good workout routine that i can start to do on a consistent basis, but there are so many different ones, i cant decide whats essential and whats just thrown in there for ****s and giggles. if you know a solid program that worked for you, if you dont mind id really appreciate it.

those are just things to get me started until i can go talk to my recruiter for real in may or june, the end of my junior year. but thank you for your time and for your responses, in advance.
Semper Fi.

Zulu 36
01-28-11, 03:47 PM
Read the site rules and profile up.

I think any blood clotting problem is going to DQ you. Perhaps after a profile is up, SoftballCatch might post the appropriate regulation for you.

davidmacrina
01-28-11, 04:12 PM
what do you mean by profiling up?

and oh crap id be devastated if i couldnt enlist..

USNAviator
01-28-11, 04:25 PM
what do you mean by profiling up?

and oh crap id be devastated if i couldnt enlist..

David,you need to fill in your profile. Just click on your name to the left and fill in the form. To give you an example, click on my name and look at my profile or Zulu's

It's pretty basic stuff

Lisa 23
01-28-11, 04:47 PM
POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Four make sure that you have a completed profile less than that is unsat and will get you banned for a period up to and including permanently!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989&page=2

================================================== ===========

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Appointment

Blood and blood-forming tissue diseases
Jun 10 2009

The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/medicalwaiver.htm)) are an authenticated history of:

Anemia.

Current hereditary or acquired anemia, which has not been corrected with therapy before appointment or induction, is disqualifying. For the purposes of this regulation, anemia is defined as hemoglobin of less than 13.5 for males and less than 12 for females.

The following ICD–9 codes are used for diagnosed anemia: hereditary hemolytic anemia (282), sickle cell disease (282.6), acquired hemolytic anemia (283), aplastic anemia (284), or unspecified anemias (285).

Hemorrhagic disorders.

Current or history of coagulation defects (286) to include, but not limited to von Willebrand’s Disease (286.4), idiopathic thrombocytopenia (287) , or Henoch-Schönlein Purpura (287.0), is disqualifying.

Leukopenia. Current or history of diagnosis of any form of chronic or recurrent agranulocytosis and/or leukopenia (288.0) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

usmcmsf
01-28-11, 05:05 PM
Pretty sure that would be a DQ, espcially today, as anything dealing with a waiver is pretty much a no go. But if you do get lucky, being 5'8, or 68 inches, your max weight would be 181 not 199

sparkie
01-28-11, 08:40 PM
Stay home,,, raise some grandbabies,,,,,,,,

davidmacrina
01-28-11, 08:45 PM
i feel terrible for saying that, without having earned the rite, so to all actual marines im sorry..i didnt realize for some reason when i typed that. but yeah i hope i get lucky, because this is the only thing that i want to do with my life and i cant imagine doing anything else. but thank you for your responses. and again sorry.

SGT7477
01-28-11, 09:13 PM
Marine Corps is to be captialized, Semper Fidelis.

03Mike
01-28-11, 10:31 PM
because this is the only thing that i want to do with my life and i cant imagine doing anything else. but thank you for your responses.

David - there are many was to serve your country... the Marine Corps is but one of them. We call ourselves "The Few and the Proud" because not everyone can make it. Some try, but can't cut it. Others find out that for reasons beyond their control they aren't eligible.

Consider some of the other noble ways to serve - there are many Federal careers that will go a long way toward towards supporting warfighters out there at the tip of the spear.

Here's a place to start looking: www.intelligence.gov (http://www.intelligence.gov)

davidmacrina
01-29-11, 10:22 PM
ok i will definitely think of that next time i type Marine Corps, thanks.

and i know there are other options, but i have known i wanted to join the Marine Corps since i was 15 when i saw my sisters friends older brother come back from boot camp. just the way he carried himself and his confidence. i knew i wanted that too. i knew that i wanted to call myself a United States Marine. but even if i get disqualified for service, is there a way to appeal it or something to that extent? i heard you can even write to your Congressman or Senator. i would certainly go that far.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-11, 07:15 PM
Nope. Writing congresscritters is a complete waste of time. Once you are DQ'd, that's pretty much 'it'.

You 'may' be able to get a waiver IF the condition is VERY mild or non occurring AND you don't need medication for it....but I'd rate that chance as less than 1 percent.

Speak to a recruiter and they'll do what needs to be done with it.

Also, I realize you are only 16, but I have to assume you've had basic grammar, spelling, and some sort of education in life. Now is the time to start USING those skills. Check the rules for the site, we are NOT kidding. It's painful to most of us to try and decipher sentences. It also shows laziness on YOUR part.