PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Rod in Left Femur

tjwajler
01-27-11, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone, first off I'd like to thank each and every Marine, past and present for their service to our country. I am going to join the Marine Corps. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. I am 18 years old, and about to graduate high school. In April 2010, I got a staff infection in my left femur, and had surgery to clear it up. After the a few months, (and another surgery) the doctors told me I was healed. Well, I wasn't. Three days later, my left femur snapped. I had a titanium rod inserted in it instead of a cast. As of now I can run, and do anything that I use to do. I talked to a recruiter, and he said I have to wait a year from my last surgery before I can join the Marines. Here's my question. I have the opportunity to get the rod removed, but I will have to wait another 1.5+ years before I can join. Should I get it removed, or can I just leave it in? Which way is more likely to cause problems when I join? Right now it acts like a normal leg, except for a slight pain now and then. Personally I am leaning towards leaving it in, but can I join the Marines like this? Will the rod cause problems? Thank you for any help.

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 03:56 PM
The rod in your leg is permanently disqualifying. There is a slim to none chance of a medical waiver, on the closer side of none. Your best bet is to have the rod removed and wait the requisite time. Then you can try to reapply.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 08:46 PM
And there you have it, direct from a recruiter. Closed.