PDA

View Full Version : Enlist or OCS?

mikesmith1988
01-27-11, 01:20 PM
Hi I am in need of some direction. I am 22 and graduated from USC in May. I have wanted to become a Marine for some time and have decided that its time for me to get my act together. I want to be deployed and am searching for the best route to accomplish that. I know things are supposed to be cooling down in the next couple of years so I am looking for some help. I have done my research and am down to either enlisting in the reserves or applying to OCS. I have a very good GPA (3.9) from USC and the 18:00 3 mile run, 100 sit ups, and 20 pull ups suggested for OCS is no sweat at all. In other words, I am fairly sure I could get a commission. The next date for OCS is in June. On the other hand as I said, I want to go over there before my time runs out. This makes me think I should enlist in the reserves to volunteer or transfer to a reserve unit that is going to deploy. The training for enlisted marines is quicker and I could enter the enlistment process immediately. I would rather not enlist as active. What is my best option of getting over there? I would want to go in as an 0311 and I have heard that MOS is easier for someone in the reserves to find an open spot. What are my chances? I really appreciate any help or direction you can give me. Thanks.

josephd
01-27-11, 02:05 PM
do you want to be an officer?....if all you want is to deploy then enlist, don't become an officer just so you can deploy and say you've been there and done that. Being an officer is a responsibility that you cannot take lightly,it is something that you have to be sure you want to do. Also, just because you run a perfect PFT like you said doesn't mean you"ll commission no problem.

From the I way read your post there you have no idea what it take to be an officer nor do you have the attitude or maturity to be one. This isn't meant to be malicious in any way, I am just pointing it out.

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 02:45 PM
Hi I am in need of some direction. I am 22 and graduated from USC in May. I have wanted to become a Marine for some time and have decided that its time for me to get my act together. I want to be deployed and am searching for the best route to accomplish that. I know things are supposed to be cooling down in the next couple of years so I am looking for some help. I have done my research and am down to either enlisting in the reserves or applying to OCS. I have a very good GPA (3.9) from USC and the 18:00 3 mile run, 100 sit ups, and 20 pull ups suggested for OCS is no sweat at all. In other words, I am fairly sure I could get a commission. The next date for OCS is in June. On the other hand as I said, I want to go over there before my time runs out. This makes me think I should enlist in the reserves to volunteer or transfer to a reserve unit that is going to deploy. The training for enlisted marines is quicker and I could enter the enlistment process immediately. I would rather not enlist as active. What is my best option of getting over there? I would want to go in as an 0311 and I have heard that MOS is easier for someone in the reserves to find an open spot. What are my chances? I really appreciate any help or direction you can give me. Thanks.

There is no guarantee that you will deploy quickly or slowly as a reservist or officer. As an officer, you would undergo more training, but your MOS is more of a gray area. When you enlist in the reserves, you are guaranteed a specific MOS (I.E. 0311).

Bottom line is this: As a Marine you are going to deploy at some point. No matter which route you go, there is a very high percentage of you deploying either way. That being said, assuming you have no criminal history, little to no drug history and that any tattoos you may have are within the proper regulation, enlisting in the reserves would be a waste of a well qualified officer candidate.

The next step for you, in my eyes, is to get a hold of your local OSO (Officer Selection Officer) and discuss your service in the Marine Corps with him. If you decide you want to look into the reserves as well, he can refer you to an enlisted recruiter.

If you do decide to go the officer route, be prepared. OCS is no joke. This year, OCS had a 45% wash-out rate. No matter what, DO NOT QUIT.

DrZ
01-27-11, 02:46 PM
Mike,
We have some Naval Officers and Officers of Marines on this site and I think you should wait for one of them to give you some answers. I am afraid all I could do is echo Joseph's post.

I just want you to understand something.... combat...even when winding down.. is not a game and not a notch on your belt. Combat is serious business where a poor leader (Officer, SNCO, or NCO) or poor decisions can cost lives.

USNAviator
01-27-11, 07:15 PM
Mike,
We have some Naval Officers and Officers of Marines on this site and I think you should wait for one of them to give you some answers. I am afraid all I could do is echo Joseph's post.

I just want you to understand something.... combat...even when winding down.. is not a game and not a notch on your belt. Combat is serious business where a poor leader (Officer, SNCO, or NCO) or poor decisions can cost lives.

Larry great advice as usual, especially about combat

Mike I applaud your decision to enter into the service of your country but please make sure you are doing it for the right reasons

You went to South Carolina correct? Why didn't you look into NROTC or PLC while you matriculated? Not trying to make a judgment here but I'm curious as to why now?

You graduated in May of '10 with an obvious stellar academic record, kudos to you. With your background, to me your only choice is to go OCS. Yes you will get more training, after OCS there is The Basic School (think of OCS on steroids) Good leaders can be made but great ones are born. You don't want to be put into a position lets say 2 years down the line doubting why you joined in the first place. Your men will sense your doubt and when that happens you've lost them. And Mike if do go the OCS route, your men are your responsibility. They eat before you do, they bed down before you do and please. please take the advice on any NCO who offers it. You might be an Officer by an Act of Congress but an O-1 is the dumbest SOB there is

Go to OCS if you want to serve, you've earned a spot but also do yourself a favor, ask why you want to serve in the first place. And then look at the PTSD thread here on LN regarding combat

I hope I was able to shed some light for you. It's obvious you've done your research so I didn't touch on the particulars of OCS etc. I also hope I wasn't too long winded. Hopefully a real Marine Officer can add more, I'm just a Squid who had some talent and who the Navy trusted with the keys to their Prowler

03Mike
01-28-11, 12:07 PM
Mike Smith - you've gotten some good advice above and I suggest you give it creedence as you weigh your decision. I'm not going to repeat any of it, but I do want to address your belief that things are going to be cooling down.

Looking back over the past several decades, commitments for the Marine Corps have traditionally gone up upon the conclusion of major operations. Given the current world situation (look what's happening in Egypt today) and the fact that you'll be active duty for a minimum of four year, I think it would be a reasonable assumption to say that you'll deploy during that time. It may not be Afghanistan and it may not be a place that you can easily find on a map or even a place that'll be mentioned on CNN.

If your goal is simply to deploy to where the shooting is (whether Congress declares it a combat zone or not), then your best bet is to enlist (active duty) under a combat arms MOS.

ammermda
01-28-11, 02:04 PM
Great advice from all. I'd echo 03Mike's wisdom: as America's quick-reaction force, there will always be a need for the Marine Corps.

Initiative is good, but impatience can lead to bad judgement. I would caution you from rushing into a commitment (enlisted or officer) just for the sake of trying to get to 'the action.' And that would go double if you decide to puruse a commission. Your priority has to become mission accomplishment and the welfare of your Marines; there is little to no room for self-serving intentions.

And one last point: although your GPA and PFT certainly look competitive, do not depend on them to carry you through OCS or service as a leader of Marines. Patience, humility, and tempered confidence go a long way toward gaining the respect of others; not to mention there have been plenty of 300-PFTers that got hurt and didn't finish OCS. (Most didn't have the patience and humility I mentioned, rushed full blast into various physical challenges, and eneded up not graduating [i.e. they didn't accomplish the mission despite their superior physical condition.])

Make an honest self assessment. If you truly want to lead and mentor Marines, go officer. If that's not you're priority go enlisted -- but be aware that leadership values are applicable at ALL ranks.

Just my $.02

USNAviator
01-28-11, 02:17 PM
Great advice from two Marine officers......:thumbup:

DrZ
01-28-11, 02:48 PM
Mike,
I am going to jump in here one more time. As I went through my time in the Corps, I met many fine leaders....both enlisted and officer. I want you to take special note of both the tone and the content of Ammermda's post. When you read it, take special note of the statement....

Your priority has to become mission accomplishment and the welfare of your Marines; there is little to no room for self-serving intentions.

He is an officer and the boss, if you will, of his Marines as well as every Marine he meets. But his goal...his primary task... was to look after the health and well being of his Marines. The job of a leader...of a great leader... is to never rest until his men are taken care of. Not to worry about eating until his men have eaten. Being a leader is so much more than just taking on a title or a name. It is to be respected by each and every man he knows. To have your men walk away thanking you after you have chewed their collective a$$es for something done wrong.

If you can do all this...while maintaining the bearing you need to be an Officer of Marines.... then become an officer. If you can't do all this...enlist and build up the ability through your time as a Pvt, PFC, LCpl, etc.

You don't have to be in combat to be a Marine. You don't need a chest full of medals to have honor. You need the belief and understanding that each and every job is important to accomplish each and every mission of the Corps.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Devil1087
01-29-11, 12:59 AM
Yo, be humble, listen to your senior enlisted but don't let them take advantage of you. You've got the college, don't throw it away, go to OCS dude. 0302 > 0311, you might be the buffer for the bullsh*t but most of it runs down hill, luckily you'll be on top of that hill..

Sgt Leprechaun
02-01-11, 07:21 PM
And there you have it. Closed for the good of the order.