PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Q's

SheDevilPup
01-25-11, 10:34 PM
I searched the forums, couldn't really find answers to my questions. If there are answers already on the forums and I just wasn't looking hard enough can someone please post the forum links? Thanks ahead of time.

First off. I know I've still got a bit of a wait before I enlist and ship off (about 4 months till enlistment and a year before I want to ship) but I'm really wanting to go into the 60XX field. How fast does the 60XX MOS promote? I've heard that it's an MOS that is very undermanned but for all I know that could just be all hearsay.

Secondly. I'm trying to decide between Marine Reserves and Active Duty. Not sure how long of a contract, ideally somewhere between 5 - 8 years. I know that it is nearly impossible to switch between the two, especially Active to Reserves, and I also know that it's something I'll have to decide on my own but I want to get a general consensus of what might have better benefits for an 18 yr old single individual. I'm definitely leaning towards Active Duty but the Reserves will allow me to choose where I want to get stationed and let me go to college at the same time.

Which leads me to my last question. If I do go Active Duty and say I get stationed on the East Coast/Hawaii/Okinawa as opposed to the West Coast (I'd really prefer to get stationed over here) is it possible to get transfer orders to a West Coast duty station after... say a year of serving with the unit I get stationed with after MOS school??

I just want to have all my thoughts and plans as organized as possible when I do sit down with my recruiter and start to get the ball rolling so I'll take all the knowledge and tips I can get.

Thank you for all your time Marines.

Very Respectfully,

SDP

TunTvrnWarrior
01-25-11, 11:08 PM
Wow that is a lot of things to ask. First off, you might get some grief over your name that you chose for this forum. You have to earn the title Marine before you can be called a Devildog or Devilpup. Just letting you know. Being a sea cadet or JROTC doesnt impress anyone here, but I think it is outstanding that you are involved in something that can possibly give you PFC out of boot camp.

If it has not changed since I was in a long, long, long time ago.... If you get stationed let's say.. East Coast Camp Lejuene, you probably will have to wait until your first enlistment is up before transfering to West Coast.

Make it your goal to be top in your class in your MOS school and you may be able to have your choice of duty station. It really ultimatly depends on the needs of the Corps.

60XX field promotion potential? It has been years since I have been in, but it is my understanding promotions are quicker these days than when I was in. Find an NCO that will mentor you through that process once you get into the fleet to give you all the good gouge on that.

Active or Reserve? I would say go Reserve, get your college out of the way. Dont wait around for that. If you have your bachelors, you will have more doors open for you should you decide to go active. Given your time with the Sea Cadets, I might suggest you look into PLC while in College. If you do decide to go Reserve, get accepted by a college and find out what reserve units are close by the college so you can determine what MOS's they have available.

Lisa 23
01-26-11, 07:44 AM
My opinion, college right after high school, then decide if you want to enlist or go the officer route.
When I was in and towards the end of my MOS school, they gave us a wish list....East Coast, West Coast or Overseas. I chose Overseas first.
And just so you know, Hawaii is on the West Coast and Okinawa is Overseas.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-26-11, 07:49 AM
I was stationed at Kaneohe and it didnt look like the west coast to me, but I bet in HQMC logic, it is. Kaneohe has a west coast, east coast and a north coast. I had 3 years of it.

haebyungdae
01-26-11, 09:24 AM
Hawaii is considered OCONUS. I got a free ticket for COT PCS'ing from Hawaii to Korea.

Back on topic, everything that TunTrnWarrior said is spot on.

However, make sure you can actually get a contract for a 60XX MOS before you start planning for it. Researching and planning is good and all, but any effort will be wasted if you end up unable to go that route. Solidify first in your mind that first and foremost you want to be a Marine, everything else is easy after that.

SheDevilPup
01-26-11, 09:54 AM
Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate getting feedback so fast.

I am deadset on becoming a Marine. No doubt about that at all.

I gave the college route a lot of serious thinking. And I mean A LOT of serious thinking about whether it'd be something I could do and honestly I just can't see myself going through another 2 - 4 years of schooling. Don't get me wrong, I'm a good student (I've got a 3.75 GPA right now) but it's not something that I can really see in the cards for me. Who knows, I might change my mind while I'm in...

Still can't really choose between AD and Reserves but again, I'll probably have a good idea of what I want when I go to sign my contract in May.

I suppose I'm just way overthinking all of this and if I just focus on first becoming a Marine all of the little things will fall into place. Thank you all again for taking the time to give me some pointers. (: