PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Marine tattoo after grad?

just1guy
01-25-11, 03:13 PM
Never really thought i would want any military tattoo and am still debating on getting one, if i did it would be something simple like the Marine logo in black. As i get closer to my ship date and more into the "Marine" mindset, it really is an honor and i would be proud to show something like that. My question is how many of you Marines out there got a tattoo after graduation and what you got,where, things like that.

oh also, i was looking at the restrictions on where one can have tattoos, later i have plans to get a small tattoo on the neck but it would be below the collar, is this still considered restricted or would i be able to get it?

KevinR
01-25-11, 04:19 PM
I got one straight out of boot camp. It's on my upper arm and is a bull dog with USMC below it. I got another on about 3 years after I got out of the Military. I'm not sure about the regs on tattoos anymore, but I do know that they have gotten pretty strict on where they are, and how many you have. When I was in, there really weren't any rules on how many you could have. (At least no rules that I knew of). I got a bunch while I was in (forearms and all) and never had any issues. But it's changed, my friend.

Devil1087
01-25-11, 05:05 PM
Never really thought i would want any military tattoo and am still debating on getting one, if i did it would be something simple like the Marine logo in black. As i get closer to my ship date and more into the "Marine" mindset, it really is an honor and i would be proud to show something like that. My question is how many of you Marines out there got a tattoo after graduation and what you got,where, things like that.

oh also, i was looking at the restrictions on where one can have tattoos, later i have plans to get a small tattoo on the neck but it would be below the collar, is this still considered restricted or would i be able to get it?

My advice is to wait until your first re-enlistment before considering a moto tat...When unmotivated you gets out in 4 years you're going to regret it.

"Yeah, I'm a US Marine, so I need a tattoo, like now."

"I just wanted to get a tattoo that I'd never regret..."

Vandrel
01-25-11, 05:16 PM
My favorite is people who get MOS tats and get dropped from the MOS school or whatever and end up in a different MOS.... lol

03Mike
01-25-11, 07:33 PM
My advice is to wait until your first re-enlistment before considering a moto tat...When unmotivated you gets out in 4 years you're going to regret it.

"Yeah, I'm a US Marine, so I need a tattoo, like now."

"I just wanted to get a tattoo that I'd never regret..."

Concur - boot camp may seem like a big deal when you graduate, but then you show up in the fleet and you realize that you've got a long way to go.

Old Marine
01-25-11, 07:41 PM
There is a function on the computer called the search function. Use it.

lonewolf121
01-25-11, 07:44 PM
DO NOT get a tattoo on your neck! Upper back at most; but not the neck. If it's not covered by the collar of your t-shirt you will be asking for trouble.

KevinR
01-26-11, 08:04 AM
My favorite is people who get MOS tats and get dropped from the MOS school or whatever and end up in a different MOS.... lol

I think the worst that I've seen is people getting them prior to going to bootcamp. (Bad idea). We had a guy with one in bootcamp, and he ended up not making it.

Marine3451
01-26-11, 09:03 AM
I got an EGA tattoo on my arm in MOS school and 3 years later still havent regretted it.

thewookie
01-26-11, 09:21 AM
We had a guy with one in bootcamp, and he ended up not making it.

Sweet. :marine:

Don't put the cart before the horse; some of these wanna bees should pay attention to that.

I got mine as soon as I got to Lejeune, and over the years I have added to it and I'm getting ready to have some touch-up done to the original; but I've never regretted it.

KevinR
01-26-11, 09:29 AM
Sweet. :marine:

Don't put the cart before the horse; some of these wanna bees should pay attention to that.

I got mine as soon as I got to Lejeune, and over the years I have added to it and I'm getting ready to have some touch-up done to the original; but I've never regretted it.

I've never regretted any of my "motto" tats. However, I do have others that I regret. :thumbdown

Apache
01-26-11, 10:27 AM
Thought
You will have this until you are planted

I have two---not saying thou shalt not just want you to think about a tatto

thediesel713
01-26-11, 06:04 PM
Do not get a "Marine" tat. You have not earned it and do not rate it. If you make it, than stop at the first tattoo shop you see after boot, but nothing on the hands, face or neck. I would recommend nothing visible in a T shirt.