PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a varicocelectomy before?

dcrow9
01-25-11, 10:45 AM
I had a varicocelectomy about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to enlist but my recruiter said major surgeries require a 6 month waiting period before I can pass MEPS. He said minor surgeries are different, but he doesn't know what to classify mine as. In a couple weeks I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon and he will be able to write me a doctors note saying I'm completely healed with no restrictions. If I do require a 6 month wait, could a note like this speed it up? Anyone know what the Marine's policy is on this surgery? Here's a link to what exactly it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicocele

WKranz
01-25-11, 11:45 AM
I had a hydrocelectomy at one point. The waiting period is more because the surgery is recent I believe.

My surgery was when I was much younger and i cant recall even needing a waiver though.

dcrow9
01-26-11, 08:42 AM
I had a hydrocelectomy at one point. The waiting period is more because the surgery is recent I believe.

My surgery was when I was much younger and i cant recall even needing a waiver though.

It was an outpatient surgery and I was back to work in 3 days. It was very minor. I hope I don't need to wait 6 months.

Lisa 23
01-26-11, 08:51 AM
Even if you have to wait the 6 months, or possibly more, use that time to better prepare yourself for boot camp.
And.....as with any type of surgery, it's better to be safe than sorry.

dcrow9
01-26-11, 10:33 AM
Even if you have to wait the 6 months, or possibly more, use that time to better prepare yourself for boot camp.
And.....as with any type of surgery, it's better to be safe than sorry.

The only thing I'm worried about is once I'm eligible, I may have to wait even longer to ship out for my MOS. I'm graduating college in May and I can't wait too long to get a salary because I need to start paying my student loans back quickly. Nothing really I can do though I'll just see what they say. Just wanted to see if anyone here had this surgery so I knew what to expect from the Marines.

SSgt Lamie
01-27-11, 10:57 AM
The surgery is something that you should worry about. I know the condition is something that a person can enlist with and then ship to Recruit Training and have the surgery done there before they start training. As far as the waiting period I couldn't tell you honestly. Have you Recruiter contact the MEPS and ask for you.

As far as shipping out as soon as possible, that may be the bigger issue for you. Most Recruiting Stations are booked solid with very few holes over the next few months with very few holes available. Here in Milwaukee we are now placing people in October and November to ship to Recruit Training. This is something else that you will have to discuss with your Recruiter to see the soonest that you may be able to leave.

elliscraig12
01-27-11, 01:08 PM
I had this done on Oki back in 86. After 4 weeks light duty I was fine. In fact I stayed in for another 7 years with no ill affect. I can't see why it would be a problem.

dcrow9
01-28-11, 11:21 AM
My recruiter said if the scar heals to the point where you can't see it and I don't have any problems with it, then I should just not mention it and I'll be fine. I don't feel comfortable lying, especially about a surgery. What do you think about that?

Lisa 23
01-28-11, 11:26 AM
DO NOT LIE about the surgery you had. They will find out. <br />
You DO NOT want to be discharged for fraudulent enlistment.

dcrow9
02-02-11, 03:03 PM
So I saw my doc for a follow up the other day. I have a hematoma and a build up of fluid in my scrotum. Both will get smaller, but most likely will not go away 100%. I'm having a follow up with him in 3 months. I told my recruiter all this but he said he doesn't know what will happen and that's basically it. Anyone know how this will affect me? Am I going to be a permanent DQ?

afraziaaaa
02-03-11, 08:14 AM
I had a varicocelectomy about 2 weeks ago. I am trying to enlist but my recruiter said major surgeries require a 6 month waiting period before I can pass MEPS. He said minor surgeries are different, but he doesn't know what to classify mine as. In a couple weeks I have a follow up appointment with my surgeon and he will be able to write me a doctors note saying I'm completely healed with no restrictions. If I do require a 6 month wait, could a note like this speed it up? Anyone know what the Marine's policy is on this surgery? Here's a link to what exactly it is.

1. Ask your recruiter about the MEDREP program

2. Ask your recruiter to call MEPS for advice on how to proceed with you if he hasn't already.

Old Marine
02-03-11, 09:45 AM

Any special reason you had this surgery? At 21 years of age, that is pretty young for this surgery. Do you ever plan on getting married and having children? Whoops, just reread the post. Wrong surgery.

dcrow9
02-03-11, 11:55 AM
1. Ask your recruiter about the MEDREP program

2. Ask your recruiter to call MEPS for advice on how to proceed with you if he hasn't already.

I will ask him to call. I looked up the MEDREP program and it looks like it will let me go to recruit training with an issue and have surgery afterwards. How would that apply to me? I already had surgery.

dcrow9
02-07-11, 10:09 AM
What can I do now? My recruiter says I probably gotta wait 6 months from my surgery date to go to MEPS but isn't positive. I keep telling him to call MEPS and ask but he won't. Do I really have to wait 6 months, or can I go earlier and see what they say?