PDA

View Full Version : How to increase lung capacity

rockypatel14
01-24-11, 04:31 PM
Hello Marines, I was looking for a way to increase my breathing. Whenever I go on runs, my lungs end up stopping me before my legs do. I do not have asthma or any lung problems. I have smoked for about 5 years and I haven't smoked for the last 4 months. Are there any types of exercises that target cardiovascular/lung strength specifically? Thank you in advance.

usmcmsf
01-24-11, 05:33 PM
High Intensity Interval training

Lisa 23
01-24-11, 05:36 PM
High Intensity Interval training

Great workout.......I love it!

SlingerDun
01-24-11, 07:10 PM
I do not have asthma or any lung problems. Sure you do: 5 years of pollution isn't purged from a pair of human lungs in 4 months, it takes a lot longer. You've got a good start though

Beltayn
01-25-11, 11:22 AM
There's a fundamental truth I've learned about running.

I always imagined growing up that if I worked and worked on running and got better and stronger and faster I would eventually reach a point where running didn't suck.
I was wrong.

As fast, strong, and fit as I have gotten, it has allowed me to run faster and longer. But no matter how much you run, or how good at it you get, running always sucks.

There's no magical answer. It's just mental. You push through and force control over your breathing.
Unless your legs are weak, your cardiovascular system will always get tired before your leg muscles, because, physiologically, they are doing more work.

rockypatel14
01-25-11, 12:44 PM
But no matter how much you run, or how good at it you get, running always sucks.

Hahahah! Thanks for the advice, I guess I just need to realize it sucks and focus on breaking my mental barriers! Thanks!

HOWARDROARK3043
01-25-11, 06:40 PM
running sucks if your slow.............everyday run 4 ,,, 6 minute miles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

indygti
01-26-11, 11:41 AM
As the other Marines said there is no proven effective way of magically making your lung capacity grow aside from hard work.

I personally try to avoid distance running and incorporate other types of workouts instead such as playing more sports and whatnot. The monotony of distance running is almost too much for me to bear anymore.

One thing to remember is that no matter how badass you think you are, cardio kills all.