PDA

View Full Version : Admins in the Reserves

SoonToBe3521
01-24-11, 04:30 PM
I've heard that it's hard to get promoted in the Reserves, I don't really know how promotions work in the Marine Corps. I'd like to go Reserve, and I want to be an Admin. So I'm wondering if I should consider another MOS. It's not the pay I'm worried about, I just don't want to not really get anywhere rank-wise throughout my career if I'm a Reservist. Can someone shed some light on the subject for me? Thanks in advance.

Marine3451
01-24-11, 06:36 PM
Reserve cutting scores come out every 3 months but you automaticly get promoted to lance corporal. I personally feel a reservist that has no active duty experience and has never been activated to active duty for an extended period of time shouldnt rate anything past Lance Corporal but you should worry more about making it thru boot camp than getting promoted

josephd
01-24-11, 06:45 PM
Reserve cutting scores come out every 3 months but you automaticly get promoted to lance corporal. I personally feel a reservist that has no active duty experience and has never been activated to active duty for an extended period of time shouldnt rate anything past Lance Corporal but you should worry more about making it thru boot camp than getting promoted

I completely agree and I am a reservist.

Promotions work the same way in the reserves as they do in the AD fleet, only thing that is different is the cutting scores are usually a bit higher and you compete against your whole MOS field instead of exact MOS. Myself for example, I compete for Corporal slots against all other 13xx MOSs not just the 1391's which is what my MOS is.

So with all that it usually does take a bit longer to pick up than your AD counterpart.