PDA

View Full Version : HBO documentary about my unit, airs February 17th

Accord
01-23-11, 08:52 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs003.snc6/165372_1827842054011_1179091819_32227105_3246547_n .jpg

1/6 battle of Marjah, rah.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-11, 11:25 PM
Think it'll be any good Accord? More importantly...are YOU IN IT?

AlohaMarine
01-24-11, 12:50 AM
Sweet John, can't wait to see it.

Accord
01-24-11, 10:18 AM
Think it'll be any good Accord? More importantly...are YOU IN IT?

HBO is very pro-military and when they do something they do it right, I'm assuming this is probably going to be one of the most real accounts of the REAL war actually going on than anything else that's come out since 9/11. Don't know if i'm in it, but I saw the HBO camera dudes rolling around so i'm sure i'm at least in the background of a few scenes.

lonewolf121
01-24-11, 11:50 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

indygti
01-24-11, 12:55 PM
I don't have HBO otherwise I'd watch the premiere. Does anyone here have a DVR that they'd be willing to use and upload the show onto the internet? If so that would be fantastic. If not hopefully someone else will do it.

SF

foreverproud
02-08-11, 06:16 PM
Here's the trailer ....

http://www.hbo.com/#/documentaries/the-battle-for-marjah/video/trailer.html/eNpVzrEKwjAQxnFKoKKv4HKb+AoBB624KQ5uTmd7mkiS0+tV7O ibG6wOrv8PfnyTyrj5wzfEy4ShV19XnJSeau6GZxyaX97jhXYY qTyuue4iJUXx1Fo4OIIVqgaCDQtsUa7ochb0gaScYqd8C9gvVD oaF0X5GjX-gmbhNAjnLMSv8HmV1wECC61DIQsUc3gDXHZAmw==

Tennessee Top
02-08-11, 06:29 PM
Going to set my DVR!

EGA1957
02-09-11, 06:16 PM
Here's one synopsis: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/02/01/the-battle-for-marjah-the-harrowing-story-of-the-us-marines-battle-to-liberate-a-key-afghanistan-town-debuts-feb-17-on-hbo-815110/20110201hbo01/

Paul4iezos
02-10-11, 02:11 PM
HBO is very pro-military and when they do something they do it right, I'm assuming this is probably going to be one of the most real accounts of the REAL war actually going on than anything else that's come out since 9/11. Don't know if i'm in it, but I saw the HBO camera dudes rolling around so i'm sure i'm at least in the background of a few scenes.

Congratz Marine and will watch it as well, just wanted to note if anyone hasnt seen "Generation Kill" thats another great HBO series about Marines in Iraq and it was written from the view of a reporter who went through all of the combat the Recon Marines in it went through. Also written about by the platoon lt. Nate Fick in One Bullet Away

lonewolf121
02-10-11, 05:31 PM
Set my DVR last night! Semper Fi!!

JaysProudDad
02-17-11, 08:19 PM
I am watching it!! We all need to know what our Marines are really doing for our country to appreciate it!! Lets learn a leason from the past, and that is don't let the liberal media hijack our nation's patriotic loyalty to our troops!!

dback13
02-17-11, 08:26 PM
You weren't even there.....

Marine1011
02-17-11, 08:33 PM
An jest how do you know that for a fact there, dback? Man up and tell us

03Foxtrot
02-17-11, 10:05 PM
I watched it tonight and I believe it to be an excellent presentation. As usual, there is a vast difference between what the politicians and generals say, and what the boots on the ground, the grunts say about a war. The vast difference for example, between the high praise given by the President and generals for the performance of the Afghan forces "fighting" along side the Marines and the total lack of confidence the Marines obviously have for the less than acceptable behavior of the Afghan forces. This reminds me of what I remember about the ARVN in Viet-Nam. There were some highly motivated and well trained units that performed with professionalism and courage, but I did not have the pleasure of their company. The ones that we were forced to work with would steal from us, fall asleep on watch and give information to the enemy, all the while avoiding combat when possible. Some things seem to never change and I salute these modern Marines who have both a difficult enemy to fight and new rules of engagement that give the enemy the upper hand, just as the rules of engagement in Viet-Nam gave the same advantage to out enemy. Free fire zones and H and I fire were approved but so was having to wait for approval to a high level before air strikes were allowed and let's not forget the micro-management by the Secretary of Defense and the President himself and who can forget the off-limit areas where the NVA were allowed to assemble and rearm that the vast majority of us were never allowed to attack. Both of these wars had/have an enemy that uses our own restrictions against causing civilian casualties against us, thereby causing some needless Marine casualties. I see much in common with the direction of these two wars and the political restrictions having too much influence and most of all, I see the same courage and determination of our Marines in dealing with the cards they are dealt and fighting the war that America sends them to. Like some Marine officer on the program said "Marines don't fight wars, we fight battles." And if I may add, we fight to win, no matter the circumstances or the odds against us. I salute the modern Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan and I am proud of the youth of America that still stands tall as U.S. Marines.
Semper Fidelis

DocGreek
02-17-11, 10:47 PM
:D.......HA! HA! HA! HA!......GEE!....I've NEVER heard OUR gubmint lie about how GREAT "WE" were doin'!
"Vietnamization", and instead of "search and destroy", "sweep and clear", "The Domino Principle", and having to call the "rear", for permission to "engage" the enemy!!!
GOLLY-GEE!!!!.....kinda' sounds like what I just watched, and heard on HBO.....EH?.........:D

walkingdead 9th
02-18-11, 12:21 AM
ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh raaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.semper fi

walkingdead 9th
02-18-11, 12:28 AM
:usmc:
I watched it tonight and I believe it to be an excellent presentation. As usual, there is a vast difference between what the politicians and generals say, and what the boots on the ground, the grunts say about a war. The vast difference for example, between the high praise given by the President and generals for the performance of the Afghan forces "fighting" along side the Marines and the total lack of confidence the Marines obviously have for the less than acceptable behavior of the Afghan forces. This reminds me of what I remember about the ARVN in Viet-Nam. There were some highly motivated and well trained units that performed with professionalism and courage, but I did not have the pleasure of their company. The ones that we were forced to work with would steal from us, fall asleep on watch and give information to the enemy, all the while avoiding combat when possible. Some things seem to never change and I salute these modern Marines who have both a difficult enemy to fight and new rules of engagement that give the enemy the upper hand, just as the rules of engagement in Viet-Nam gave the same advantage to out enemy. Free fire zones and H and I fire were approved but so was having to wait for approval to a high level before air strikes were allowed and let's not forget the micro-management by the Secretary of Defense and the President himself and who can forget the off-limit areas where the NVA were allowed to assemble and rearm that the vast majority of us were never allowed to attack. Both of these wars had/have an enemy that uses our own restrictions against causing civilian casualties against us, thereby causing some needless Marine casualties. I see much in common with the direction of these two wars and the political restrictions having too much influence and most of all, I see the same courage and determination of our Marines in dealing with the cards they are dealt and fighting the war that America sends them to. Like some Marine officer on the program said "Marines don't fight wars, we fight battles." And if I may add, we fight to win, no matter the circumstances or the odds against us. I salute the modern Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan and I am proud of the youth of America that still stands tall as U.S. Marines.
Semper Fidelis

walkingdead 9th
02-18-11, 12:33 AM
i want to thank all the young marines who are carrying on thetraditions of the marine corp as did we in vietnam.i spent a lot of time with the arvns on the rockpile and khe sahn.of course there were to many politics preventing us from doing what we needed to do.anyway ty u oung marines for carrying on the highest traditions of the corps SEMPER FI' """""

JaysProudDad
02-18-11, 12:47 AM
You weren't even there.....

I dont get your reply? I am and always have been pro military and I supported my son's decision to join the Corps (he just finished SOI East and is a 0311 now). So your comment about if I was at Marjah or not dosen't make sense. I saw this thread about the HBO doc. under "new posts" and it seemed to me that the subject of a documentary is open for response to those who are going to watch it.

I support media organizations like HBO. They respectfully portray our Marines and Soldiers as committed and corageous young men and women serving their country (and doing a tough job , even though politics (politicians) further complicate their mission and add more risk to loss of life). Also, I was refering to the liberal media of the past as a contrast to HBO. I remember during the late 60s and early 70s the media was on a anti-military campaign (anti-American) and they made it seem like we were the bad guys. This "spin machine" had the politicians dancing to their tune and affecting the battle field with self defeating strategies that put our troops in a hole.

I have nothing but appreciation and admiration for the military (especially our Marines) as they rose to the occasion after 9/11 and took the battle where it belonged. IMHO it is because of their sacrifice that our country has been safe since then(and no one can deny this). I don't know where you were on 9/11, but WTC Ground Zero was where I was, and it was my personal battlefield for many months and it still effects me today. I sincerely thank you and all the other young men and women for signing up right after that and doing what was, and still is, necessary to protect our homes from fanatical anti-american elements.

dback13
02-18-11, 08:13 AM
An jest how do you know that for a fact there, dback? Man up and tell us

because I was. OP directed....

Gunz
02-18-11, 08:40 AM
Cool profile picture of the twin towers JaysProudDad

Gunz
02-18-11, 08:44 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs003.snc6/165372_1827842054011_1179091819_32227105_3246547_n .jpg

1/6 battle of Marjah, rah.

Very cool, wish I had HBO.

Gunz
02-18-11, 08:47 AM
I dont get your reply?

I didn't understand it either. He should be more specific as to who he was talking to.

DocGreek
02-18-11, 09:18 AM
.....WELL, watched and recorded the show. I also recorded "Restrepo" when it first aired.
As an FMF Doc, my opinion is VERY biased. Marines take "IT" to the enemy, soldiers.....sleep in bunkers and play their guitars, under Christmas lights!
I'm surprised that Doc's were only mentioned a few times. I also didn't see any Marines wearing "headsets", to comm. with each other, and the CO......NORMAL!
How many KIA's and WIA's were there? It's a GOOD show and I'll watch it several more times.....good one, HBO!!
SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....:flag:

JaysProudDad
02-18-11, 10:22 AM
Cool profile picture of the twin towers JaysProudDad
Yeah, thanks! Ive seen alot of them and this one really caught my eye, so I downloaded it.. if you want I can email it to you.

Old Marine
02-18-11, 10:23 AM
Outstanding.

JaysProudDad
02-18-11, 11:11 AM
I know "Open Squad Bay' is for you guys to share stories, so I don't want to overstay my welcome here but, quick question please.

I wanted to buy my son a graduation gift. I was thinking of a k-Bar and I saw them on Amazon for a great price. Do you think they are genuine or should I stick with buying through the K-bar company directly? Also, can anyone suggest a USMC jewelry sourse? (my wife wants to get him a ring) Bradfordexchange.com seems to have nice stuff...any experiences (good or bad) dealing with them?

Tennessee Top
02-18-11, 11:58 AM
I know "Open Squad Bay' is for you guys to share stories, so I don't want to overstay my welcome here but, quick question please.

I wanted to buy my son a graduation gift. I was thinking of a k-Bar and I saw them on Amazon for a great price. Do you think they are genuine or should I stick with buying through the K-bar company directly? Also, can anyone suggest a USMC jewelry sourse? (my wife wants to get him a ring) Bradfordexchange.com seems to have nice stuff...any experiences (good or bad) dealing with them?

Go to www.grunt.com (http://www.grunt.com) it's a USMC specialty website owned by a Marine and has KA-BARS, jewelery, graduation gifts, clothing, and anything else you need...including caskets!!! I order from there all the time.

Good luck.

Gunz
02-18-11, 12:27 PM
Go to www.grunt.com (http://www.grunt.com) it's a USMC specialty website owned by a Marine and has KA-BARS, jewelery, graduation gifts, clothing, and anything else you need...including caskets!!! I order from there all the time.

Top,

Exactly how many caskets have your ordered? You must have a daughter.

JaysProudDad
02-18-11, 01:45 PM

Good luck.

Thank You!

That was a great site! I ordered my son the USMC American Legend KBAR and they offered engraving for the blood groove and handle. I just had the blood groove engraved with his name , MOS and PI graduation date for a nice touch.

03Foxtrot
02-18-11, 02:22 PM
Accord,
I am in remiss for not thanking you sooner, both for bringing this documentary to our attention and for your continued fight against our enemies as a brother Marine. Please tell your buddies what high esteem we hold you and your generation in and that I am honored to call you brother and when you are again deployed to Afghanistan, if possible, share your address here as I will be only too happy to be one of your resupply or communication avenues for assistance while in the war zone.
Semper Fi

Hamelink83
02-18-11, 04:12 PM
interesting to see what the place was like 3 months before I got there as well as seeing the ground I tromped around on again.

Hamelink83
02-20-11, 04:03 AM
Watched the documentary and have to say it was done very well. The thing that struck me the most was the audio, it is spot on. I recommend it although for those of us that have been there, it's hard to watch. The Bravo company base that was featured is now Cop Turbett, named after Cpl Jacob Turbett, the engineer that was killed during filming. Semper Fi Brother

Another well job well done to HBO when it comes to Marines.

VictoryttBold
03-25-11, 08:45 PM
:flag:http://www.youwatch.org/online-the-battle-for-marjah-2011-movie-war.html

For those of you that aren't fortunate enough to have HBO, you can watch the documentary, at the above link for free.

EGTSpec
03-25-11, 10:23 PM
Thanks, I watched most of it. Great documentary.

VictoryttBold
03-26-11, 10:23 PM
:flag:I thought it was an excellent documentary.

wildwoman73
03-27-11, 07:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken, did they air this again this weekend??? I think I saw it.

EGA1957
04-20-11, 11:07 PM
Tim Hetherington, journalist/photographer (including Restrepo), killed in Misrata, Libya today along with another American journalist.

crazymjb
04-21-11, 11:35 AM
I knew he was in Marja at one point, but I didn't think he was part of this project.

Mike