PDA

View Full Version : College and qualifying for PLC

oarodriguez55
01-22-11, 11:03 PM
Hello everyone. I am currently short of swearing in at MEPS - need a simple medical waiver for some random birthmark I had removed - as an enlisted Marine recruit. I am very proud of how long I've come along and can't wait to go to boot camp to earn my place. My biggest concern, however, is that I feel like I have not recieved all the information I need to insure that I am joining the Marines the best way possible for the goals I want to accomplish.

I've learned so far that excuses are worthless when applying for the Corps, so I'll get straight to the facts. I currently have a 1.46 gpa, after having unsuccessfully atteneded a local community college, for a AA/2yr. Transfer degree. I had to choose between work and school... so I choose work. I am by no means ashamed of that, because in the handful of years I have committed to working, during and outside, of school, I have accomplished so much for my career and myself; and, I have worked with non-profit organizations to help improve the community around me. I have earned the respect and the recommendations of many of my peers, co-workers, and employers. I have worked really hard to learn all I can on my own, and when money was tight, and school was un-affordable, or out of the question, I have taken the time to study math on my own. I currently work as a Signal Tech Installer (aka. Lineman/Fiber Optics). Its a job that I love, and has provided many opportunities for me, including being promoted to a Foreman position. I am the second youngest on my yard to accomplish this, in the least amount of time (only 6 months, when the requirement is 3 years), and will be responsible for upgrading the PEDs in downtown Raleigh. I now only work 3 days a week, 40 hour weeks, and make a good living - no benefits, but thats a whole 'nother story.

Now that I'm financially stable, and the timing is right, I enrolled in APUS Online, for a BA in International Studies. My academic goal is to get my transcript strong enough to have a fighting chance to transfer into NC State. Aside from these goals, I feel it is the perfect time to join the Marines. I am now 23, I have a family of my own, and they are fueling me to finally pursue my dream of becoming a Marine, not to mention that the TA with be a great help. And so here I am, days away from being a "poolee."

Problem is, I want more than just enlistment. I want to become an Officer, regardless of what I have to do. As of now, it is estimated that I have until September to raise my gpa to a 2.0 and transfer my credits for a promotion as an Enlisted Marine. My question is, after I swear in and declare my MOS - this Monday - and join DEP, do I still reserve the right to speak with an OCO about joining and applying for Commission via PLC? Or should I simply speak with an OCO this Monday to see what he has to tell me?

I received a 88 on my ASVB (with only a handful of days to study), and would be willing to take it again, because I am confident I can score at least a 100 with proper preparation. I'm not sure if my SAT scores are still valid, but they were above 1000 when I first took them, and I'd be willing to take them again.

I wrote what seems to be an essay because I really need the truth, and not sales pitches. With my current resume, what real chance do I have of making it into PLC (considering what wavers are available, and the use of work experience and recommendations), or being qualified by a OCO and the Board? Or am I better off just going about my way enlisted, and proving that I have what it takes? I want to take the most direct path no matter how many loops I have to jump through, or how many teeth I have to get kicked in during training.

Thank you for your time in advanced. Despite how I do it, I am not going to give up on my goal.

josephd
01-22-11, 11:51 PM
To put it simply....No.

Once you are enlisted (unless you are in the reserves and a full time college student) you aren't eligible for PLC. You can talk to an OSO all day about what you want if he will listen but as long as you are on contract there is really nothing he can do.

My suggestion to you is if you want to be an officer than continue with and finish school and get a package started for a PLC or OCC board to go to OCS.

One thing to keep in mind also, I am not sure about this APUS online school you are going to but make sure it is accredited in order for you to be eligible to go to OCS and become an officer. There is a few of those online schools that their degrees aren't accepted by the Corps.

oarodriguez55
01-23-11, 12:23 AM
Thank you for your advice. This is very helpful information that I did not know, or could seem to find any where. I will simply visit an OSO this Monday; the worst that can happen is that I will be told that I am not eligible. APUS is the American Public University. It is the same university that runs the American Military University online. They are accredited, and I plan on transferring to ncstate as soon as I can.

03Mike
01-23-11, 09:21 AM
Josephd hit nail on the head with one stroke - PLC is not an enlisted commissioning program and is not available to those on active duty. PLC is specifically for students enrolled in pursuit of a 4 year degree. OCC is for a commissioning program for those who already have a college degree.

There are certain enlisted commissioning programs available for those on active duty, but they are extremely competitive, and don't bet on getting into one of those until you are on your second enlistment. For many folks, it is easier to do one enlistment tour, get out, enroll to finish college and enroll in PLC and earn their commission that way.

On a side note - a degree from either APUS school (American Military Univeristy or American Public Univeristy) are recognized by the Department of Defense for commissioning purposes. I have known several folks who have received a commission with an AMU degree.

oarodriguez55
01-26-11, 10:39 PM
Good news, I came in contact with my local OSO office, and they gave me lots of helpful information, including informing me about how transcripts can change when transferring from one college to another (like in my case, I'm applying to PLC with my APU transcript, no my previous). I know they will eventually want to see all transcripts, but at least now I have my foot in the door. Its all up to me from here I guess.

If anyone has any helpful tips for what to do and not do during the application process, other than the books and materials I'm supposed to read, please let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

03Mike
01-27-11, 08:18 AM
If anyone has any helpful tips for what to do and not do during the application process, other than the books and materials I'm supposed to read, please let me know. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PT - get in shape and stay in shape. You'll want a 280 or better on the PFT before going to PLC Jr.

Stay out of trouble

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone. I am currently short of swearing in at MEPS - need a simple medical waiver for some random birthmark I had removed - as an enlisted Marine recruit. I am very proud of how long I've come along and can't wait to go to boot camp to earn my place. My biggest concern, however, is that I feel like I have not recieved all the information I need to insure that I am joining the Marines the best way possible for the goals I want to accomplish.

I've learned so far that excuses are worthless when applying for the Corps, so I'll get straight to the facts. I currently have a 1.46 gpa, after having unsuccessfully atteneded a local community college, for a AA/2yr. Transfer degree. I had to choose between work and school... so I choose work. I am by no means ashamed of that, because in the handful of years I have committed to working, during and outside, of school, I have accomplished so much for my career and myself; and, I have worked with non-profit organizations to help improve the community around me. I have earned the respect and the recommendations of many of my peers, co-workers, and employers. I have worked really hard to learn all I can on my own, and when money was tight, and school was un-affordable, or out of the question, I have taken the time to study math on my own. I currently work as a Signal Tech Installer (aka. Lineman/Fiber Optics). Its a job that I love, and has provided many opportunities for me, including being promoted to a Foreman position. I am the second youngest on my yard to accomplish this, in the least amount of time (only 6 months, when the requirement is 3 years), and will be responsible for upgrading the PEDs in downtown Raleigh. I now only work 3 days a week, 40 hour weeks, and make a good living - no benefits, but thats a whole 'nother story.

Now that I'm financially stable, and the timing is right, I enrolled in APUS Online, for a BA in International Studies. My academic goal is to get my transcript strong enough to have a fighting chance to transfer into NC State. Aside from these goals, I feel it is the perfect time to join the Marines. I am now 23, I have a family of my own, and they are fueling me to finally pursue my dream of becoming a Marine, not to mention that the TA with be a great help. And so here I am, days away from being a "poolee."

Problem is, I want more than just enlistment. I want to become an Officer, regardless of what I have to do. As of now, it is estimated that I have until September to raise my gpa to a 2.0 and transfer my credits for a promotion as an Enlisted Marine. My question is, after I swear in and declare my MOS - this Monday - and join DEP, do I still reserve the right to speak with an OCO about joining and applying for Commission via PLC? Or should I simply speak with an OCO this Monday to see what he has to tell me?

I received a 88 on my ASVB (with only a handful of days to study), and would be willing to take it again, because I am confident I can score at least a 100 with proper preparation. I'm not sure if my SAT scores are still valid, but they were above 1000 when I first took them, and I'd be willing to take them again.

I wrote what seems to be an essay because I really need the truth, and not sales pitches. With my current resume, what real chance do I have of making it into PLC (considering what wavers are available, and the use of work experience and recommendations), or being qualified by a OCO and the Board? Or am I better off just going about my way enlisted, and proving that I have what it takes? I want to take the most direct path no matter how many loops I have to jump through, or how many teeth I have to get kicked in during training.

Thank you for your time in advanced. Despite how I do it, I am not going to give up on my goal.

You have a family? How many dependants do you have? Meaning wife, children, etc.?

What tattoos do you have?