PDA

View Full Version : USNA to Marine

CodyH
01-22-11, 05:16 PM
I was wondering how hard it would be to do this and if there is any extra things have to do.

0351 Corporal
01-22-11, 05:21 PM
Go to this link, it will tell you in detail what you need to do.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2072327_transfer-between-military-branches.html

USNAviator
01-22-11, 05:22 PM
I was wondering how hard it would be to do this and if there is any extra things have to do.

USNA to me means US Naval Academy. Is that your meaning as well? If it is then I can further answer your question

CodyH
01-22-11, 06:18 PM
Sorry yes I mention united states naval academy.

USNAviator
01-22-11, 06:32 PM
Sorry yes I mention united states naval academy.

Yes you can choose to enter the Marines from the Academy. In fact during your summers you have the option to train with Marines at different billets.

Upon completion of your academic career, you are commissioned a 2nd Lt. in the Corps and go on to The Basic School for further training

Aproximately 20% of the seniors at the Academy opt to join the Corps, mainly as ground officers

CodyH
01-22-11, 06:32 PM

CodyH
01-22-11, 06:34 PM
Is there a limit in the number of seniors that can go to the marines? If so what is it and could I go force recon.

USNAviator
01-22-11, 06:45 PM
Is there a limit in the number of seniors that can go to the marines? If so what is it and could I go force recon.

Not that I'm aware of. Now if the entire senior or First Year class decided to fore go Naval service then they would proabaly set some sort of limit.

Hope this helps. Your 16, are you interested in attending the Academy? If so there is plenty of info out there for you to explore

Good luck!

CodyH
01-22-11, 06:53 PM
Yes I am very interested in the academy then going to the marines

elliscraig12
01-22-11, 07:09 PM
1. Read the site rules
2. Fill out your profile
3. Marine is always capitalized

USNAviator
01-22-11, 07:23 PM
1. Read the site rules
2. Fill out your profile
3. Marine is always capitalized

LOL...Craig I was going to mention that to the lad if he asked one more question

Also, Cody if you do pursue an appointment to any service academy, I can guarentee they will teach you to say thank you when some one helps you! It's simple manners!!. Learn it now, it will serve you well in life.

CodyH
01-22-11, 07:23 PM
I'm am very sorry about the Marine not being capitalized . Thank you

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 07:46 PM
Moved this to the correct forum.

Cody, the officer here has given you excellent advice.

Furthermore, I'll add a few things:

Competition for Academy appointments is INTENSE. If you haven't been a stellar performer in academics before now, as WELL as doing outside school extra activities (Scouts, etc) then your chances of getting an appointment are not very good. I kid you not....you are going to be competing against the absolute best people in your area.

EVERYone wants 'Force recon'. If I had a nickel....

Anyway, that is waaaaay down the road. IF you are really serious about Canoe U, getting IN there should be your ONLY focus at the moment. NOTHING else. Not even being a Marine....(much less recon blahblahblah).

Pay attention to the Commander. He posts here for a REASON. I expect respect to his rank. He earned it.

USNAviator
01-22-11, 08:01 PM
Moved this to the correct forum.

Cody, the officer here has given you excellent advice.

Furthermore, I'll add a few things:

Competition for Academy appointments is INTENSE. If you haven't been a stellar performer in academics before now, as WELL as doing outside school extra activities (Scouts, etc) then your chances of getting an appointment are not very good. I kid you not....you are going to be competing against the absolute best people in your area.

EVERYone wants 'Force recon'. If I had a nickel....

Anyway, that is waaaaay down the road. IF you are really serious about Canoe U, getting IN there should be your ONLY focus at the moment. NOTHING else. Not even being a Marine....(much less recon blahblahblah).

Pay attention to the Commander. He posts here for a REASON. I expect respect to his rank. He earned it.

Good advice Jason and thank you Sgt. for the kind words. Much appreciated!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 08:04 PM
Anytime sir.

CodyH
01-22-11, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for the advise. What do I need the be doing now (I'm a sophomore) and what would be considered good grades?

USNAviator
01-22-11, 08:36 PM
Thank you all for the advise. What do I need the be doing now (I'm a sophomore) and what would be considered good grades?

You don't get it do you? After what I told you and after what Sgt. Lep told you, good grief boy. BTW, it's spelled, advice

You're dismissed!

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 08:44 PM
3.8 or better.

And invest in a dictionary...or spell check. Seriously.

CodyH
01-22-11, 08:57 PM
Lol I'm sorry idk what it is but I want more so I will search the Internet. I'm on the usna right now. Thank you for the help.

03Mike
01-23-11, 09:23 AM
One final note - for an appointment to any of the service academies, you'll need to be at or near the top of your graduating class.

0351 Corporal
01-23-11, 07:03 PM
The Commander and Sgt. Lep provided more than enough information for you, howerver, If you're still digging for information about getting in, go to this link. It pretty much sums up what you need to be working on and toward right now at your age.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6297531_naval-academy-qualifications.html

USNAviator
01-23-11, 07:48 PM
Lol I'm sorry idk what it is but I want more so I will search the Internet. I'm on the usna right now. Thank you for the help.

No problems here Cody. I sincerely wish you all the best in your quest. But you have to step out of the IM, texting,Twitter mode and realize that is not how the real world works. If you are going to communicate with adults, you must learn punctuation, spelling etc. If not, you'll look the fool

Getting into the Academy (follow my lead here re. spelling) is a very difficult path. As Sgt. Lep pointed out, you must be at or near the top of your class in many areas

First and foremost is academics, a 3.8 GPA is about right. But you must also equate that with athletics, civic duty etc.. Next comes your request for an apointment from a member of your state's Federal legislative body. You can't get in without an apointment and there are only so many slots available. Most Plebe classes amount to about 1200 students, from which about 900 will earn their commisssion. Many quit during their Plebe year, some others are bilged out (dismissed) for other reasons

You're a rising junior. Concentrate on your whole academic situation. Be as well rounded as you can be and stay out of trouble

CodyH
01-23-11, 10:36 PM
First I would like to thank all of you for the help. 3.8 is right around where my gpa is maybe a little lower. I am involved in football and track as well as I go to a church group. Again thank you all.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-11, 10:41 PM
You are welcome....however, let me be clear. Based on what you've just stated..you are 'average' for an applicant. You want to STAND out.

Higher GPA...3.9 or better.

"Being involved" means you show up. Being a LEADER is what counts. Not a 'star' player (although that is a different animal entirely)...but a leader is what the admissions folks LOOK for.

Church is great...but what do you do there? Lots of people 'go' to church. You want to stand OUT in the crowd. Leadership positions are what make you do that.

Based on what you've told us, again, I see 'average' as compared to other applicants. "One of the crowd". Nothing wrong with that of course...but you want to get selected not just be another nice kid.

Let me give you a better, more personal example....

A boy I know, who is 11, is considering the USNA.

He is already a National Merit Scholar from Elementary school with a high GPA
He was a leader in his 'Peer Mentor' program
He was awarded the Cub Scout "Arrow of Light" (Highest award you earn as a Cubbie) and was a Den chief (Leadership, elected job).

He is currently in Boy Scouts, has been for almost a year, and is working on his rank advancement to 2nd class. Should be a '1st' class in another six months after that. Earned 3 merit badges already. Currently a color bearer for the Troop. In middle school has consistently made "High Honors" with Honors classes his first year.

So, think THIS kid has a chance?

He's my son. And you better believe that is what I'm prepping him for.

CodyH
01-23-11, 11:34 PM
That is actually really cool that he is that active and I also have the "arrow of light" I wish I would have stayed with the scouts would have helped a lot. Also do they look at class strength like if I am advanced. Because I'm 2years ahead in math and 1 year ahead in science and English or do they just look at gpa? Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
01-23-11, 11:35 PM
Never too late.....(Unless you are 18).

03Mike
01-24-11, 11:56 AM
That is actually really cool that he is that active and I also have the "arrow of light" I wish I would have stayed with the scouts would have helped a lot. Also do they look at class strength like if I am advanced. Because I'm 2years ahead in math and 1 year ahead in science and English or do they just look at gpa? Thanks

College credits and/or AP credits will help.

What you have to consider is that there are many applicants for each slot, so you really have to stand out.

A couple of thoughts that you may want to consider:

1. Find you local American Legion detachment and look into earning a slot at "Boys State" - would look really good on your application if you got that.

2. Get involved in your church's mission work - even if it's local stuff like working at a soup kitchen.

3. Look for your local Marine Corps League detachment, and talk to the Marines there about helping out with Toys for Tots or other community programs that they have.

4. Look for your local Habitat for Humanity office and look into volunteering there.

You are going to be competing with students who are in the top 5% or 10% in their high school class. They'll be Eagle Scouts or Gold Award. They'll be captains of sports teams. They'll have hours of community service - whether through a church or a local civic group. This is the crowd that you'll have to compare to - and stand out from. Our nation's service academies are as competitive as (if not more competitive than) the most exclusive private colleges and universities.

It's never too late to get involved, and getting letters of reference from the groups that I mentioned above, will carry some weight.

CodyH
01-24-11, 04:45 PM
Thanks both of you. I will be in the top 10% of my class and I'm going on a mission trip this summer. I will have a lot of work to do on the rest. This is going to be hard.

CodyH
01-24-11, 04:55 PM
Although I do have all the physical qualities.

USNAviator
01-24-11, 06:29 PM
A boy I know, who is 11, is considering the USNA.

He is already a National Merit Scholar from Elementary school with a high GPA
He was a leader in his 'Peer Mentor' program
He was awarded the Cub Scout "Arrow of Light" (Highest award you earn as a Cubbie) and was a Den chief (Leadership, elected job).

He is currently in Boy Scouts, has been for almost a year, and is working on his rank advancement to 2nd class. Should be a '1st' class in another six months after that. Earned 3 merit badges already. Currently a color bearer for the Troop. In middle school has consistently made "High Honors" with Honors classes his first year.

So, think THIS kid has a chance?

He's my son. And you better believe that is what I'm prepping him for.

Jason when I started to read this I was thinking, this kid sounds familiar. What an outstanding young man you and your wife are raising.

I was on the wait list at the Academy. Unfortunately, I lived in N. Virginia, as you know populated with the sons of 0-7's and above. I didn't get in but it all worked out

USNAviator
01-24-11, 07:15 PM
7 mids expelled from Academy over Spice

Seven midshipmen were expelled Thursday from the Naval Academy for “use or possession of spice,” a marijuana-like designer drug banned by the Navy, the school’s spokesman confirmed Monday.
Cmdr. Joe Carpenter said the former midshipmen were male sophomores and juniors. Citing privacy laws, Carpenter declined to provide names or further details.
The investigation began in September after a midshipman reported spice usage to officials, Carpenter said.
"An investigation remains ongoing,” he said. “And any additional allegations will be fully investigated, and where they’re substantiated, we’ll hold the violators accountable.”
The expulsions are the most recent in a series of spice incidents throughout the Navy. Investigators broke up spice rings aboard the aircraft carrier George Washington and at Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., in 2009.

My final remarks on this subject.

Cody, when I gave you some advice to stay out of trouble I meant it.. Stay the course and don't hang around with people who will divert you from your goals

Probably doesn't sound like a big deal, getting kicked out of school? But the idiot juniors now have to repay every cent the Government invested in them. Once you enter into your junior year you are essentially in the Navy. There is a saying at the Academy "two and five". Meaning two more years till they graduate and five they owe Uncle Sam

So these juniors are now on the hook for well over $100K, probably closer to $150K

ggyoung
01-25-11, 11:23 AM
There is always "The Citadel" or any other military academe.

03Mike
01-25-11, 02:48 PM
The Citadel - Charleston, SC
Virginia Military Institute (VMI) - Lexington, VA
Norwich University - Northfield, VT

Did I miss any?

ggyoung
01-25-11, 04:21 PM
I can not think of any.

Lisa 23
01-25-11, 04:52 PM
Valley Forge Military Academy & College - Wayne, Pennsylvania.
The campus occupies 100 acres of rolling countryside, and is located just 15 miles west of Philadelphia.
http://www.vfmac.edu/

USNAviator
01-25-11, 05:49 PM
The campus occupies 100 acres of rolling countryside, and is located just 15 miles west of Philadelphia.

Wow Valley Forge is now a college Lisa? I remember my parents threatenting to send me their when I acted up as a kid.........lol

USNAviator
01-25-11, 06:40 PM
The Citadel - Charleston, SC
Virginia Military Institute (VMI) - Lexington, VA
Norwich University - Northfield, VT

Did I miss any?

I was just doing some research on Congressional appointments to service academies. To my surprise, Merchant Marine Academy and the Coast Guard Academy are considered service academies. The CGA does not require a congressional appointmet but the MMA does

VMI, the Citadel and Norwich are not considered service academies because they do not need an appointment to attend. However, they are considered military schools.

Also, Texas A@M has a very strong military element in the undergrad schools. They are called the Corps of Cadets, wear riding boots as part of their uniform and stand through the entire football game. I believe they are referred to as the twelth man

Sorry gentleman, I teach history and sometimes get carried away with arcane facts.....;)

03Mike
01-25-11, 07:27 PM
Dan - I was looking to list "military academies" outside of the service academies.

Schools like Texas A&M and Virginia Tech have very strong "Corps of Cadets" programs, but not every student wears a uniform or has to participate in the Corps of Cadets. I'm more familiar with the Citadel and VMI than with Norwich, but I know that the VMI and the Citadel require four years of ROTC whether or not the cadet intends to seek a commission. At both of those schools, the cadets are considered part of the State militias.

Now, just to challenge the history teacher in you -- VMI is the only military school in the country where the cadets parade with fixed bayonets. Do you know why?

03Mike
01-25-11, 07:30 PM

Valley Forge is officially a two year college, and for many, serve as a prep school for the service academies.

USNAviator
01-25-11, 07:53 PM
Dan - I was looking to list "military academies" outside of the service academies.

Schools like Texas A&M and Virginia Tech have very strong "Corps of Cadets" programs, but not every student wears a uniform or has to participate in the Corps of Cadets. I'm more familiar with the Citadel and VMI than with Norwich, but I know that the VMI and the Citadel require four years of ROTC whether or not the cadet intends to seek a commission. At both of those schools, the cadets are considered part of the State militias.

Now, just to challenge the history teacher in you -- VMI is the only military school in the country where the cadets parade with fixed bayonets. Do you know why?

LOL...I believe it has something to do with the battle of New Market, VA. Am I right? I believe the Keydets took to the battlefield, ill equiped, ill prepared and still put up one hell of a fight

As a personal note, I'm a native Virginian and I was never more proud when I watched a pass in review at VMI and then the whole Corps came to attention when they played Shenadoah and Bonnie Blue Flag.

Last fall I taught a course on the History of the Marine Corps at VMI. What a pleasure it was to walk into a classroom, have a senior Keydet sound off, "ten hut" and have the whole class stand. No Ipods, no cell phones, no sleeping...well you get the idea

03Mike
01-26-11, 10:23 AM
VMI is the only military academy/school to have its cadets fight as a unit and to lose cadets in battle (New Market, 1964).

Dan - let me know when/if you head back to VMI to teach, as my son is a Keydet and in the NROTC unit.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-26-11, 05:43 PM
Dan, thanks!

VMI is correct sir. BTW it's "1864"...not 1964 LOL.

Dan, wish I could teach that stuff. I think it would be a blast. You should bring me along as an adjunct 'instructor' LOL

USNAviator
01-26-11, 05:52 PM
Report: Academy tops with high school seniors

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — U.S. News & World Report has named the Naval Academy the country’s most popular liberal arts college.

The ranking is based on its yield, or the number of accepted students who decide to enroll as freshmen.

In the fall of 2009, 1,251 of the 1,464 students accepted to the Naval Academy decided to enroll, a yield of 85.5 percent.

Academy superintendent Vice Adm. Michael Miller said in a statement that the academy offers a great opportunity to the country’s most talented student.

Second on the list is the U.S. Military Academy.

And Navy beats Army again........;)

USNAviator
01-26-11, 05:58 PM
VMI is the only military academy/school to have its cadets fight as a unit and to lose cadets in battle (New Market, 1964).

Dan - let me know when/if you head back to VMI to teach, as my son is a Keydet and in the NROTC unit.

Mike I sent you a vistors message in your profile. Congrats on your son being part the Keydets. Is he through his Rat Year? Not many people know Patton went to VMI. He didn't graduate, went on to the Point

I always think of VMI as being heavily slanted toward the Army. Are there many going for the Navy/Marine option?

Sgt Leprechaun
01-26-11, 06:02 PM
VMI used to be heavily USMC tilted. I believe General Puller attended as well.

USNAviator
01-26-11, 06:24 PM
VMI used to be heavily USMC tilted. I believe General Puller attended as well.

I looked up Gen. Puller's record. Yes he did attend but dropped out before his first year ended. Went enlisted into the Corps during WW1. I know the good General was from Virginia so his attending VMI isn't all that surprising

But I am surprised that VMI is/was heavily tilted toward the Corps

Sgt Leprechaun
01-26-11, 06:27 PM
I knew it was something along those lines but couldn't remember for sure :)

03Mike
01-26-11, 07:01 PM
Still has a very, very strong Marine option program within NROTC.

Puller did attend, as did Lem Shepard, I believe William Upshur did as well.