PDA

View Full Version : Drug arrest and GED...enlist??

Artie
01-22-11, 12:13 AM
Hi,my name is artie,new york,brooklyn...I come from ukraine,been in america for 11 yrs,a citizen,I'm 21,its in my blood to serve in military,my whole family has been in military in ussr,the only branch that I truly acknowledge as a powerful military force are obviously the marines..I know everything about the marine corps,and I respect it for what it is...I've been wanting to join ever since...few dillemas though,I have a high school ged,and an arrest dating to 2008,a drug arrest that was a felony at first,but later dropped to a violation,I know that with a ged I need 16 credits from college.1ill I be able to join with that one arrest? (The worst mistake in my life)

Casedizzy2821
01-22-11, 12:20 AM
Hi,my name is artie,new york,brooklyn...I come from ukraine,been in america for 11 yrs,a citizen,I'm 21,its in my blood to serve in military,my whole family has been in military in ussr,the only branch that I truly acknowledge as a powerful military force are obviously the marines..I know everything about the marine corps,and I respect it for what it is...I've been wanting to join ever since...few dillemas though,I have a high school ged,and an arrest dating to 2008,a drug arrest that was a felony at first,but later dropped to a violation,I know that with a ged I need 16 credits from college.1ill I be able to join with that one arrest? (The worst mistake in my life)

You're fuct. Sorry.

Artie
01-22-11, 12:36 AM
Even with a violation on the record?no possibility of it being waived?even if I get an associate degree?please make my day...because recruiter kept on telling me that I should get college first,and then they'll see if I'm eligible

Artie
01-22-11, 12:39 AM
I plead guilty,never went to trial...first arrest...please cheer me up..or no hope at all?

Casedizzy2821
01-22-11, 01:53 AM
I doubt it. Bottom line, go talk to a recruiter. But with downsizing the Corps, you are an unlikely recruit. There are too many qualified people waiting to join. <br />
<br />
You are a recruiters worst...

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 01:43 AM
First, "Marines" is capitalized.

Next, the Cpl is correct. GED and a drug arrest? Not no way...not no how.

Sorry. Try the army, they *might* consider you. Then again, they might not. The way of the world. Dropping out of school and doing dumb drug things.....there are some things you just can't 'take back' no matter what. This is one of them.

The recruiter told you that (to get the degree) because it will take time to do...in that time, things *may* change. But don't bet the farm on it.

Also, moved to the proper forum....

Artie
01-27-11, 08:15 AM
Understood...I apologize for not capitalizing the Marines...thank you for the replies,and by the way the army just can't wait for me to sign the contract,but the army is not for me,I want the .Marine Corps discipline and training,signed up for college,we'll see what happens then..again Thank You for all the replies.
e

03Mike
01-27-11, 08:26 AM
Just some food for thought...

I trust that English is not your only language?

I'd suggest that you consider getting your two-year degree (associates degree) - that'll wipe out the GED. Also, it'll put your arrest another two years in the past, and if you stay clean and out of trouble, then things may open up for you. Having a foreign language proficiency might help you a great deal. There is interest in what is going on in the former Soviet Republics - who knows what will be happening two years from now? But language proficiency may give you an edge.

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 10:35 AM
Artie, I am currently on recruiting duty and I am sorry to say that with the way things are right now, there is no possibility of a felony-reduced waiver for you. Especially if it were a drug charge...

elliscraig12
01-27-11, 01:30 PM
Just some food for thought...

I trust that English is not your only language?

I'd suggest that you consider getting your two-year degree (associates degree) - that'll wipe out the GED. Also, it'll put your arrest another two years in the past, and if you stay clean and out of trouble, then things may open up for you. Having a foreign language proficiency might help you a great deal. There is interest in what is going on in the former Soviet Republics - who knows what will be happening two years from now? But language proficiency may give you an edge.
I'd go with 03Mike on this one. If you can show the Corps you have more value over the ordinary recruit, then they might listen. It's not that you just know the language, but you're from there. You know the little quirks about the place that you can't learn from a book.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 07:09 PM
The current recruiter NAILS it. Closed as further discussion on this point is moot.