PDA

View Full Version : Allowed to bring/use

Taviah
01-21-11, 08:23 PM
Hey, I am wondering a few things. I have this quartz crystal that is important to me, will I be allowed to take it with me and keep it relatively nearby (like hang on to it on Sunday at least) during boot camp? It is basically spiritual to me.

Also I have a SOG desert dagger and wonder if I'll be allowed to use it on deployment or if I buy a Saiga12 what are the chances of being allowed to use that?

Komenko
01-21-11, 09:24 PM
Hey, I am wondering a few things. I have this quartz crystal that is important to me, will I be allowed to take it with me and keep it relatively nearby (like hang on to it on Sunday at least) during boot camp? It is basically spiritual to me.

Also I have a SOG desert dagger and wonder if I'll be allowed to use it on deployment or if I buy a Saiga12 what are the chances of being allowed to use that?

anything you take to boot camp will be bagged up and put in storage till you graduate. you can use just about any knife while on deployment but can't use personal weapons such as guns or swords!

Casedizzy2821
01-21-11, 10:48 PM
If you claim your quartz crystal is "religious material" they will let you keep it. You just better be ready to answer for it in receiving.

But ya if it's religious you can keep it. Not if its basically spiritual. It better be religious, otherwise they won't buy your story. Say your Pagan or something. They have Pagan churches in boot camp.

As far as your knives, I would worry about boot camp and finishing SOI before you worry about knives. Not to mention, you will probabbly buy 6 more knives before you deploy because that's what boots do.

To answer your question directly, yes and no you can bring it on deployment. You will hear this a lot but "it all depends on your unit".

The following questions can be answered by "it all depends on your unit":

Can I go to jump school?
Can I go to SEER school?
Can I get my black belt?
Can I be a MCMAP instructor?
Will I be able to realisticaly go to college?
Will I have to go on humps in the fleet?
Will PT be hard?
Will I get hazed?
Will I get to meet Obama?

I hated that answer, but it's true. It all depends on your command. You won't understand it until you've experienced it.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-21-11, 11:23 PM
To go to Recruit training? The 'crystal' thing...maybe. I wouldn't count on it, and you SURE aren't going to be allowed to hang it anywhere.

As has been stated, the knife is 'unit dependant'. Sounds like a cop out but it's the truth. Even 'unit dependant' can be too broad, as sometimes it changes for each commander!

I wouldn't worry too muhc about that part as of yet.