PDA

View Full Version : What would vets like to assist with?

0351 Corporal
01-21-11, 03:37 PM
Hello all,

I'm meeting up with a non profit organization recieving a grant that will benefit veteran communities. The meeting is to decide what veteran needed help will receive funding. Being a veteran myself I thought I would ask the veterans what they could use help with. Any ideas are welcome. So far we are considering things like subsidized child care cost assistance, and rental deposit assistance. Please let me know your ideas, and I will take them to the meeting.

Thanks! :marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-21-11, 11:08 PM
Deposits when moving, such as utilities.

AlohaMarine
01-22-11, 01:58 AM
You two summed it up. Deposits deposits deposits. Maybe moving expenses too?

0351 Corporal
01-22-11, 05:18 PM
Thank you for your ideas, rest assured deposits will be hit heavily in the meeting, along with moving expenses. Please keep the good ideas coming, the meeting is in a week and this is a great opportunity for vets to put in their 2 cents.

Big Jim
01-22-11, 05:30 PM
There was a vets organization that helped with food vouchers where I used to live....I thought THAT was a dam good idea to vets and their families who really needed it.

Rocky C
01-22-11, 05:43 PM
Immediate help getting enrolled in the VA Health Care System before the time limit expires.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 06:39 PM
I really, really, LIKE that one.

0351 Corporal
01-24-11, 04:03 PM
ok, so far I have:

- Immediate help getting enrolled in the VA Health Care System before the time limit expires
- food vouchers
- Deposits
- Moving Expenses

Please keep the ideas coming, i'll be hitting them hard at the meeting.

0351 Corporal
02-02-11, 01:35 AM
Alright, so here is what happened. After about 2 hours of conversing, the money from the grant will be set aside for the following:

- Child Care
- Deposits
- Moving Expenses
- Emergency Housing assistance (I.E. If you are within 1 week of not having a place to live, you will be given a hotel/transitory assistance).
- Therapeutic Activity costs for veterans suffering from PTSD.

Thank you all for your ideas and support. Semper Fi! :marine:

coreymac21
02-02-11, 06:40 AM
How about assistance with local disabled veterans they are home bounds, ect..