PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Reserves

Armstrongsbx
01-21-11, 09:42 AM
Hello, so one of the things I'm considering is becoming a reservist while going to college and I just had some questions

1) What would happen after my senior year, I know I would go to boot camp during the summer, but I'm planning to go to college in Colorado (I live on the east coast) but would start college the year after my senior year (fall of 2012), or would I have more training to do and start college in fall of 2013?

2) What do reservists typically do on the weekends/summer?

Thanks

josephd
01-21-11, 12:12 PM
Hello, so one of the things I'm considering is becoming a reservist while going to college and I just had some questions

1) What would happen after my senior year, I know I would go to boot camp during the summer, but I'm planning to go to college in Colorado (I live on the east coast) but would start college the year after my senior year (fall of 2012), or would I have more training to do and start college in fall of 2013?

Thanks

1. It depends on your contract. If your a regular reservist then you'll have to take about a year off in order to complete boot camp, SOI/MCT, and your MOS school. If your a 92 day reservist you can complete boot camp during the summer and make it back for the school year, complete SOI/MCT the next summer, and MOS school (if necessary) the following summer. Be careful if you are enlisting at home because they will contract you to the closest reserve unit to your home. This is gonna be extremely tough if you are going to school in CO.

2. It is all dependent on what kind of unit you are with and what your MOS is.

03Mike
01-21-11, 04:58 PM

Thanks

Just some random thoughts...

Where is the reserve unit you want to join - Colorado or the East Coast?

Remember, you will be expected to attend drills year round - so that means during the school year, and if you're not slated for a military school, then during the summers too.

Reserve units are not interchangeable - you can't drill with one during the school year and another when you go home on break.

What do reservists do on drill weekends? They train.

They may spend some time maintaining their gear, and usually have one weekend drill where they'll handle all the annual admin crap that needs to be done. Generally, there is no real difference in what you do for drills over the summer or winter - except that most units will do their two week active duty training during the summers, since most reserve units have significant numbers of college students -- but that's no guarantee.

slambert
01-22-11, 05:31 PM
Go active duty. You will regret reserves. I do. My active duty status ends next friday when I graduate MOS school. Screw reservist. God meant me to be a Marine all the time not one weekend a month...cant wait to switch..