PDA

View Full Version : Advice for 0321?

twalls93
01-19-11, 10:55 PM
Hey Marines,

I got a few questions for you, hope you can answer them for me.

Ive been talking to a recruiter since around July of 2010, and am 100% set on being a Marine. I have yet to go to MEPS, because of some paperwork problems for ADD from 6th grade, but that's all straightened out now, and I am supposed to go up to Fort Jackson at the beginning of February. Although I have not sworn my oath and all, my recruiter says my ship date will most likely be August/September. For a long time, I have been pretty deadset on going 0311, but I have been thinking about going all the way, and trying to get into Scout Sniper school. Now, don't flame me for such a childish statement. I understand that is by no means "easy" to get there. I know that most likely wouldn't happen until i've been in for several years, if at all. Now that I have started to think about taking this course of action, a few people have told me it would be in my best interests to pick 0321 as my primary MOS selection and 0311 as secondary. I have yet to bring this up with my recruiter, as he wants me to try Intel if I score high enough. Now, i know there is only a mediocre chance of getting straight into 0321, and that it is likely i will have to go 0311 and parallel to 0321 later on. On to my question though. I have read from several sources online that say I must get a 1st class swimming qual. to be eligible, but as I understand it, they don't do that in boot camp anymore. What would i have to do instead, and what would be my best move to have the best chance of getting 0321 as soon as I can? I also had problems with my ears, which stopped me from learning how to properly swim, but finally got that fixed recently, and that has all been cleared by MEPS. I can tread water and move, but as soon as the lake warms up and the pool on base reopens, I'm gonna fix the crap outa that problem.

Thanks for reading this essay, and I hope you all can help, and maybe give a little extra advice.

fs19
01-19-11, 11:32 PM
Try reading this: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70637

twalls93
01-20-11, 05:40 AM
Thanks, I did read that before posting, but my main question in all of this was about the swimming qualification. What is the alternative to Class 1 , or how would I get that, since they don't do it in boot anymore. Would they just send me to qualify after boot?

Thanks again.

Lisa 23
01-20-11, 08:13 AM
Recruit Training Schedule

Week 4:
Swim qualification

There are four levels of swim/water survival qualification in recruit training. The Marines are an amphibious service, and water survival training is designed to increase our competence and survivability in an amphibious environment.

Combat Water Survival – By definition, the Marine Corps is an amphibious assault force. Therefore all Marine recruits are required to know how to survive in the water. Recruits receive basic water survival training at the indoor pool, which is safely conducted by specially trained instructors.

Training in combat water survival develops a recruit's confidence in the water.

All recruits must pass the minimum requirement level of Combat Water Survival-4 (CWS-4), which requires recruits to perform a variety of water survival and swimming techniques. If a recruit meets the CWS-4 requirements, he/she may upgrade to a higher level.

All recruits train in the camouflage utility uniform, but those upgrading may be required to train in full combat gear, which includes a rifle, helmet, flak jacket and pack.

1st class swim qual
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43574&page=2

twalls93
01-20-11, 06:46 PM
I have read that, and the requirements, but I have recently read on several threads here and on various websites that they do not allow recruits to attempt to qualify for Class 1, which I understand is what is needed.

Warmonger2
01-23-11, 02:12 AM
i have a question i re enlist next week as 0321. i am currently an 0811 artillery i have to go thru soi west and become an 0311 and then brc. my question is what happens if i happen to fail out either med or cant hack it? would i get thrown back to gay ass artillery or 0311 or re cycled? i have a cws 1 and a 285 pft 2030 run 20 pull ups n 100sit ups good at humpin never fell out or back of any run and a tour to iraq in 08 as machine gunner.

thewookie
01-23-11, 07:31 AM
what happens if i happen to fail

:idea:

Warmonger2
01-24-11, 02:08 AM
wow thanks man for the good advice

03Mike
01-24-11, 11:42 AM
what happens if i happen to fail out either med or cant hack it? would i get thrown back to gay ass artillery or 0311 or re cycled?

I guess a lot depends on when and where you fail out.

If you complete SOI and are designated an 0311 (or 03XX) and fail out of recon selection, then I'd guess that you'd be assigned to an infantry battalion for duty as an 03XX.

Might want to update your profile - it says you enlisted in 2007 and that your current rank is E-1. I would assume that as an 0811 and reinlisting, that you're at least an E-3?

Warmonger2
01-25-11, 04:21 AM
true n yea i havent updated n hey are you recon cuz i have alot of questions and yea thats what im told id be an 0311 n get thrown in there which isnt a problem but i dont plan on failing. do u or anyone no what exactly to expect like i no alot of swimin but like the intial swim is 500m timed under 15mins is that combat side stroke along with the breast stroke n what other stuff is there and is there any good advice u can give me.

03Mike
01-25-11, 09:41 AM
No - I was never in recon.

Wardawg
01-27-11, 12:47 AM
Watch the Making the Cut: USMC Recon video from the National Geographic. It shows the last summer class that graduated. Most of your Training questions will be answered. Mine were.

MGySgtSki
01-27-11, 01:25 AM
true n yea i havent updated n hey are you recon cuz i have alot of questions and yea thats what im told id be an 0311 n get thrown in there which isnt a problem but i dont plan on failing. do u or anyone no what exactly to expect like i no alot of swimin but like the intial swim is 500m timed under 15mins is that combat side stroke along with the breast stroke n what other stuff is there and is there any good advice u can give me.

500 meter timed using your survival strokes (breast/side/back). Don't expect a lot of swimming, but expect for the pool time to be very stressful. After that initial S-1/modified S-1 swim qual (not sure which they're using these days), expect the next time you're in the water for it to be salt water with fins on. Best advice I can give you for the pool portion is don't freak out in the pool. Stay relaxed and you'll do fine.

Warmonger2
01-27-11, 01:30 AM
**** yea thats the best advice so far thanks alot and yea i watched surviving the cut like 5 times already im preparing for brc still ill probly be there in 4 or 5 months also how much running and is it alot of boots and uts? and is that 500m and all that updated?

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 02:20 AM
I have read that, and the requirements, but I have recently read on several threads here and on various websites that they do not allow recruits to attempt to qualify for Class 1, which I understand is what is needed.

Who, or what order, did you get this from? "Several threads"? Here? Or elsewhere?

MGySgtSki
01-27-11, 05:14 AM
Who, or what order, did you get this from? "Several threads"? Here? Or elsewhere?

If it's like it used to be, it really just depends on the gang of recruits and how well things are going. If there were a ton of swim rocks, then you more than likely wouldn't get a shot at trying for more than the minimum. If there were mostly decent swimmers, you might be able to shoot for S2 or maybe even S1.

And to answer the other question about running, we did a TON of running when I was there, but the schedule varied daily (ruck runs/humps, long slower runs, shorter FAST runs, intervals and hill workouts, etc). Pretty sure there's a holding section at the school house to work you up to where you need to be prior to picking up with a class. This used to be accomplished at the individual units, but I hear that it's all at the school house now that they consolidated everything out West.