PDA

View Full Version : MOS and Overall Help.

M7811
01-19-11, 10:11 PM
Hello. I've been wanting to joining the Marine Corps cause I really cant think of anything that enthralled me in the civilian life. I want to enlist after high-school and reserve where I'll attend college for four years in a major of my choice where then I plan to commission. I've talked to my recruiter in my area and I talked to him about the officer route but I got shut down to enlist (Trust me, I wasn't please with this recruiting attitude.)

Enlist wise - I thought of MOS 6199 - - Enlisted Aircrew/Aerial Observer/Gunner. Something away from the battlefield but in the fight for support. I know this Contradict (Every Marine is a Rifleman) in some peoples eyes. But I plan to have children and I am the last of my bloodline.

But what I am here to ask -
If I enlist and reserve what is the chances of me getting deployed and will my college experience be interrupted?

How Likely is it that I'll be put into a grunt platoon instead of my interested job?-

-Army, Airforce, Navy are not an option-

Anything you can do to help me or answering my questions is much appreciated.

-Thanks M7811

Devil1087
01-20-11, 01:57 AM
Every Marine is not a rifleman, every Marine is basically qualified with a rifle. I always love it when people say that to grunts trying to prove themselves, it's a recruiting line. People think of grunts when they think of the Marines, and so that's how they sell themselves. Unless your an 03 or attached to them you will not be doing grunt work, especially as a air winger.

Many will disagree, but in the age of the professional soldier/Marine, that's how it works.

As for aircrew, you're going to be looking at an AG contract. My advise is simple. You cannot have any reason for them to DQ you. Your vision must be no worse than 20/100 to serve in a helicopter, you must have normal color vision that's a big deal because most males have slight problems with that, you must be a damn good swimmer, and have no injuries or conditions that would prevent you from doing the job. They PT you hard to expose any injuries you might be hiding.

If there is anything wrong with you, and you get past MEPS, it will not get past the flight physical. Your ass will be sent to a mech school or something wing related and you will not be aircrew. Simple as that.

So if you meet those requirments you will be fine.

M7811
01-21-11, 12:53 AM
Thank you for your reploy.

Everything checks out and I do have one previous injury that healed fine. I broke my growth plate in 7th or 8th grade but I don't have no pain or anything. but I feel if I enlist that there will be a good 90% chance ill deploy. Cause I do not believe they wont deploy me on a 4 year contract. They want some work out of me after having me trained and such.

Marine3451
01-21-11, 11:41 AM
If your afraid of being deployed your joining the wrong branch. All Marines i know that haven't deployed are always trying to vollenteer for deployment. Marines should have the mentality that they want to be in the fight if they are called to do it. There is always the Coast Guard but please if your going to be one of those that cry about deployments please stay out of my beloved Marine Corps. I have a wife and a kid on the way and if i was ordered to deploy I would happily do it.

M7811
01-21-11, 02:09 PM
I'm not "afraid" of being deployed and I'm not going to "cry" about it. I just want to go to college while I reserve and I am want stay on track with my college while I am a enlisted man trying to receive a degree so I may take my role higher in the corps. I have what it takes mentality regardless what people say. You don't know someone better than you know yourself.

From what I hear the Marines like Pre-Experience before being commissioned.

Devil1087
01-21-11, 03:08 PM
The only problem with a reserve MOS is that you must be in a state that actually has a wing unit. So if you're in California or near Yuma or something you'll be fine.

M7811
01-21-11, 04:09 PM
I live near the capital of West Virginia and all we have is a engineer corp. I am not familiar with the jobs they offer besides combat engineer.

03Mike
01-21-11, 04:39 PM
If I enlist and reserve what is the chances of me getting deployed and will my college experience be interrupted?

Relatively high - or at least better than 50/50.

We are in the middle of a war in Afghanistan and who knows where else the Marines will be sent in the next 4 or 5 years. Sometimes reserve units are activated and deployed overseas in support of (or for) combat operations, and sometimes they are activated and sent overseas to fulfill treaty obligations for international training, and sometimes they are activated to conduct training or other operations domestically (JTF-6).

Commitments are too high, and the force too small, to expect to go to a reserve unit and not get activated over a 4 year period. Might happen, but you'd be wise to expect to get called at least once.

M7811
01-21-11, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the reply.

So my best bet is to just attend college and get a degree where ill then be commissioned?

If I commission can I choose my career field or how does commissioning after college go if you don't care to elaborate.

03Mike
01-21-11, 05:03 PM
I would advise you to figure out what you want to do and why. Joining the reserves while in college can be very viable. What is your primary goal? Becoming an Officer of Marines? Getting a college degree? Getting experience by joining the reserves? Getting money by joining the reserves?

Your answers to these questions can help you figure out what to do - but only one can be your primary goal.

You can do a search on here to find out details about how officer MOSs are assigned at The Basic School (TBS). The short version - they are assigned based upon the needs of the Marine Corps, and are distributed largely based upon your class rank (scores based upon academics, physical fitness, and leadership) and secondarily based upon your personal choices. No officer MOSs are assigned prior to commissioning.

M7811
01-21-11, 06:19 PM
My main goal would be to become a marine officer. I would like to do PLC's but I cant get in contact with my OSO here where I live - Due to recruiter wanting me to enlist.

I'm not an (A) Student in highschool so I might be screwed on my end.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-21-11, 11:17 PM
Then wait until you graduate, because you WILL deploy. Either that or enlist and go from there. Either way...you'll be going someplace.

03Mike
01-22-11, 12:09 PM
My main goal would be to become a marine officer. I would like to do PLC's but I cant get in contact with my OSO here where I live - Due to recruiter wanting me to enlist.

You need to understand that your local recruiter has nothing to do with officer accessions. Going to talk to your recruiter about officer programs, quite frankly, is like talking to an electrician about plumbing. The recruiter's job is to assist young men and women in enlisting in the Marines. Depending on how many poolees he has, and what his quotas are, he's not going to send away a prospective recruit to an Officer Selection Office. If you're undecided, he's going to try and convince you to enlist and talk you out of talking to an OSO. You don't need to go through the local recruiter to talk to the OSO.

If your primary goal is to become an Officer of Marines, you will need to talk to an OSO. You can look them up on the web and find the one for your area. Be advised, chances are the OSO will not want to spend much time with you until you are a college student. Sure, you may get some basic info, but he won't invest much time until you are ready to fill out your PLC application - he has too many officer candidates in the pipeline right now.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 06:31 PM
Well said, sir. That answers the question PERFECTLY. Closed.