PDA

View Full Version : Dropping a Marine Option NROTC scholarship to enlist

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 07:09 PM
I'm trying to make a very tough decision, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Here's the deal: I've been awarded a MC Option Scholarship to my state university, which I would start this coming fall semester.

The only thing that brings me to this dilemma is that I want to serve a combat arms role in the Marines. As much as I respect every MOS in the Marines, I know that i belong in Combat Arms. And the reason I'm questioning on whether i should go directly into being an officer, or enlisting then later becoming an officer, is that there's a good chance I won't get to serve in one of the combat arms MOS's as an officer.

Of course, unlike officers, enlistees are allowed to pick their mos, so naturally I would pick 0311, and accomplish what I want to do in life. Then later after a 4 year enlistment, I would then start on becoming an officer via another scholarship or the MECEP program.

I know I probably sound like a dumbass, but I don't want to complete OCS, commission, then go to TBS and get an MOS where I'll never see combat. If what I just mentioned happened after already serving a combat enlistment, then I would be fine with it because I did what I wanted, even if it was for only 4 years.

NeverQuit
01-19-11, 07:39 PM
Okay where did you hear that Officers can't pick their MOS? Perform and you will get the job you want when you are done with The Basic School. If i am wrong i hope an officer will come along and correct me. I did 4 years enlisted and now i am working on a degree to get commissioned, your decision but i say take the scholarship. Go to (MARINE OCS . COM) obviously put the words together alot of good info there.

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 07:58 PM
Well officers get to order their preferred MOSs on a wish list. And it is somewhat decided based on your performance, but it's not simply being at the top of your class. They split up your TBS class into three groups. Each group gets an equal number of slots, and each group is ranked. So you could be at the bottom of the top tier, and not get what you want, whereas someone at the top of the bottom tier will get their first choice

Zulu 36
01-19-11, 08:03 PM
Active duty enlisted do not necessarily get to pick their exact MOS. For instance, if you got an infantry contract, you would sign for 03XX and your exact infantry MOS will be decided at SOI. You might want to be a rifleman, but end up a mortar man, and being the boot, guess who gets to carry the base plate?

Lately, it has become very hard to get infantry slots. The wanna-be's and poolee's complain about it all of the time here because so many want to be grunts. So there is no guarantee you can get 03XX even as enlisted.

Who knows what will be going on in four-years? We could be up to our eyes in a war with Iran, North Korea, or China and getting an infantry commission would be really easy.

Bust your butt in school, ROTC, and TBS. An infantry officer's commission could easily be yours.

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 08:17 PM
Well I would not mind being a mortarman. I just want to be in combat arms, whether its rifleman, mortarman, whatever. I just want to have my chance to do my part on the front.

NeverQuit
01-19-11, 08:59 PM
Even if you do Intel Officer your first command would be with a sniper platoon, there are so many MOS under the Combat arms field that you should have no problem getting what you want, neither way is a picnic but the choice is ultamately yours. Pay is alot nicer as an officer than a Pvt lol

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 09:09 PM
I'm gonna have a long talk with my district MC option coordinator, my family, and some self-reflection on this. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming please!

AlohaMarine
01-19-11, 09:23 PM
I turned down an Army ROTC scholarship to enlist in the Corps.

Two guys I got scholarships with both dropped out of college, I guess they didn't have the determination.

Anyway, that was Army though so its unrelateable, however I still feel stupid for doing it. I could be a Lieutenant right now.

gonzo4
01-19-11, 09:47 PM
I had the same exact scholarship you are talking about right now. I was sooo poor even with tuition and the monthly stipend and other scholarships I dropped out and enlisted. It's a great option if you are able to complete it but remember you still pay room and board etc. Good luck to you.

USNAviator
01-19-11, 09:52 PM
I'm gonna have a long talk with my district MC option coordinator, my family, and some self-reflection on this. Thanks for all the help, keep it coming please!

I was commissioned over 30 years ago and I know things change but my advice is to take the scholarship. Four years from now you will have the option to prove yourself at TBS

Cadets at the service academies, in Feb of their senior year,have the opportunity to pick their MOS. It's based on several factors, academics, PT scores among several others. Bottom line, the higher you rank the greater your chance at getting your choice

At the Naval Academy the top two choices are Aviation and Surface Warfare. Sub service is third but is so difficult to get into many realize that their chances are very slim on succeeding. Just because you make it into Aviation doesn't mean you'll be driving an F-18 Super Hornet. You can bilge out of flight school and then where do you go?

You're young and in high school about to embark on the start of your life. You've earned a scholarship and I applaud you for that. Take your time, do well in school but also enjoy yourself. You're only going this way once.

Not matter what you decide, I'm glad that there are still young people such as yourself who want to serve this great nation

DIBLO7
01-20-11, 09:13 AM
If you want to be an officer, take the scholarship. Only a small percentage of enlisted Marines are able to switch over, especially with the MECEP rules getting even tighter. You need to think about what your ultimate goals are, if they include being an officer, do it now and roll the dice on getting a combat arms slot (which you probably will). If they are just "I want to be infantry" and the officer thing is "cool" but doesn't really matter to you, go enlisted.

I, right now, could list off at least 10 midshipmen that would kill for your scholarship. The Navy is giving out fewer and fewer, and at least for the next few years those numbers are going to continue to go down. There's my .02, do with it what you want.

cmccollum4693
01-20-11, 07:58 PM
Like I said, the only thing that has me worried is that I won't get combat arms since it is a competitive MOS to acquire at TBS. I just don't want to be stuck doing an MOS I don't really love, and never having the chance to see combat. It's not a adrenaline-junky thing, it's just I think that's where I need do my part for my country.

You said that I will probably get a combat arms MOS at TBS. What makes you say that?

Zulu 36
01-20-11, 08:25 PM
If you take the scholarship, like the Lieutenant and the Commander recommend, who knows what will be happening in four-years? Four-years ago, the Corps was taking darned near anyone who wanted to be a grunt and was otherwise qualified. Waivers were pretty easy to get too. However, things have changed a lot in those four-years and it can change in the other direction again just as easily.

Your life, your choice.

DIBLO7
01-20-11, 09:49 PM
You said that I will probably get a combat arms MOS at TBS. What makes you say that?

I haven't been to TBS yet (I go in about a month); however, I have lots of friends that are there now or just graduated from there and gouge that I've gotten from them has been just about everyone has been getting near their top pics. That is unless your a dirtbag, then all bets are off.

josephd
01-20-11, 10:33 PM
Even if you don't get a combat MOS at TBS, alot of fresh Lt.'s in the fleet are getting the opportunity to lead as platoon commanders with various security and provisional rifle platoons(I know 2 personally). Even though the 03 officer slots are competitive and get filled quickly, there is a large need to Plt. Commanders and the like on the ground in country.

cmccollum4693
01-21-11, 08:28 PM
does anyone know how fast artillery slots fill up?

USNAviator
01-21-11, 08:54 PM
does anyone know how fast artillery slots fill up?

OK you've had two threads pretty much about the same subject matter. Son, you're not even in collerge and you're concerned about what the TOA will be re artillery slots four years from now??

Give it a rest. Take the scholarship, study hard and enjoy your college years. Don't over think it, it's not that complicated. The Corps will put you where they need you, end of story.

No one here and no one at the puzzle building can foresee the needs of any military unit four years down the road. If you are meant to be a Marine officer it will happen. If you are to be a Marine enlisted, that too will also happen.

But don't be in such a hurry to go in harms way. It's not that pretty, not that glorious. Perhaps you should take a look at the PTSD thread here on LN?

Good luck to you anyway

Casedizzy2821
01-21-11, 11:10 PM
Take the scholarship, holy crap. Free college, commission, you'll be 23 with a free college degree, you'll be a Marine, and an officer. Must be nice. You might hate the Marine Corps on the black or shiny side, but at least on the shiny side, you will come out with a degree.

I waited too long to enlist, now I am hurrying up my degree, am an age waiver candidate, fighting for MCP, and the selection is getting tighter. FML. I would kill for your spot. Oh if I could do it all over again. You have the opportunity of a lifetime! Don't throw it away for some Call of Duty fantasy!

You can still be a combat officer. No MOS is guaranteed enlisted side. Even if you had an 03xx contract, you will have to wait upwards of 6 months to get it.

Google 1st Lt.Robert Kelly, may he RIP.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 12:49 AM
Do the scholarship. I have an officer friend who got her degree (UGIP) and believed she would be going 02...wrong answer. She JUST, after 8 years, got a lat move back to the field she wanted (and did as an enlisted).

In other words, no guarantees. But as has already been stated, things change with time. Worry about GRADUATING and all the other things that go with it, instead of sweating something that you, at this point, have little control over, and is so far in the future it doesn't matter what ANY of us say now anyway...things will be different.

Concentrate on the 'here and now'.

And I moved this to the correct forum.