PDA

View Full Version : Officer MOS Selection at TBS

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 05:45 AM
It's really way too early for me to worry about this, as I am only a soon-to-be Marine Option scholarship midshipman, but I was just wanting to ask some things about how officers are assigned their MOS.

I understand that near the end of TBS, you will be ranked into a linear list of all Lieutenants in your TBS company. And from that list, they make 3 groups. Each group almost always has an equal number of slots for each MOS, so even if you were in the bottom third, you may still get your desired MOS if you're at the top of the bottom third.

Having said all that, my top three MOS preferences I will make at TBS are 1. Infantry 2. Artillery and 3. Armor. I understand these are competitive MOSs, but if I'm in the middle, or even lower in my "third", will I still be likely to gget one of the combat arms slots? Or is it so competitive that the first 20 people in your group will ask for the slots right away during the selection process?

AlohaMarine
01-19-11, 10:45 AM
Its kind of a game. I know lieutenants that put their #1 choice as #2 or #3. Because you just won't get your #1 choice unless you're the #1 in one of the 3 tiers. It worked for all of them.

Secondly, Armor takes like 1 dude from each class. Maybe 1, meaning you may go through a TBS class where they don't need any officers at all. Sucks.

Lastly, you are still way too far away from worrying about this. You still have to graduate high school? College, OCS, and make it through Land Nav at TBS. Good luck.

And you really don't want to be an 0802. I mean holy ****, getting duck taped to a M777 tube and elevated? No thanks. Infantry officers always seem to breed the best lieutenants, but they get alot of ****bags too because they need so many. I would go Air Traffic Control Officer or something that I could use on the civilian side. (I know youre going to say youre going to make it a career, but when you get a 299 PFT and the Career Retention Board canc's your Career Designated request, then what?)

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 04:52 PM
I mean I would be happy with anything combat arms, so I'll just rank them infantry, art, armor

I understand armor has very little, if any slots, so I mean I'll rank it so long as it does have slots for my TBS class.

Worrying is just a weakness of mine, and I really want to be a combat arms officer. And when I say want, I don't mean I'm a teenager who wants to jacked up on testosterone and goes around on these forum sites saying they're gonna go Recon or MARSOC. I just want to be combat arms officer so I can be on the front doing something important to me, and the world. Not saying that the other MOSs are any less important than combat arms, its just that I feel that's where I belong.

MUSTANG0369
01-19-11, 10:03 PM
Check out this link and it should answer any questions. Understand that when I was at the schoolhouse, you had to put 1 Service Support MOS in the top 5.

http://www.dbdriven.net/mymos/All_MOS_Assignment_Process.asp

Hope that it helps.

cmccollum4693
01-19-11, 10:14 PM
So you've been through the process, could you tell me how fast the combat arms positions fill up? And again, I reiterate that I would be happy with any combat arms positon

And by your username, I assume you were prior enlisted? What do you think about enlisting before going officer?

Sgt Leprechaun
01-22-11, 12:50 AM
Closed, as this is basically a dup of the other similiar question you asked. The ONLY reason I'm not deleting it entirely is because of the link the Lt. provided.