PDA

View Full Version : Ocs/plc

tab2111
01-18-11, 08:42 PM
I am a current college student determined into becoming a Marine. My question is only about the route I should take to get there. I have looked into going through OCS/PLC as early as this coming summer, but have also considered joining the Reserves for the year and a half or so until I graduate with my college degree. I was just wondering if I did go into the reserves if it would be possible or easy to eventually go active duty after I graduate and also if it would make a difference in my ultimate goal of becoming an officer in the Marine Corps after graduation. I am obviously open to all the information, advice, and help I can receive so if anyone knows of anything they feel is worth sharing, I would appreciate it greatly.

0351 Corporal
01-18-11, 10:37 PM
Are you wanting to be a Marine Reserve Officer that wants to go active after 1 1/2 years, or are you wanting to be a Reserve Enlisted Marine that wants to go to OCS after 1 1/2 years?

tab2111
01-18-11, 11:39 PM
I envisioned being a Reserved Enlisted Marine and trying to go to OCS in 1 1/2 years, but I didn't know how being a Marine Reserve Officer would work out or if was possible since I wouldn't have a college degree for another 1 1/2 years. Isn't a degree needed to become an officer, whether it be active duty or reserve?

josephd
01-18-11, 11:42 PM
Don't bother with enlisting in the reserves IMO, get a PLC package started, go to OCS, finish school, and commission. I am speaking from experience here, once you enlist in the reserves you will get set back and caught up with being a Marine. Focus on school and staying out of trouble in order to get accepted into PLC.

0351 Corporal
01-19-11, 12:13 AM
Don't bother with enlisting in the reserves IMO, get a PLC package started, go to OCS, finish school, and commission. I am speaking from experience here, once you enlist in the reserves you will get set back and caught up with being a Marine. Focus on school and staying out of trouble in order to get accepted into PLC.

josephd is right, once enlisted, you're going to be too busy to do anything, especially if you get activated, which will probably happen. Also from my experiance in a weapons company infantry battalion, once they got you, there is no way in hell they're gunna let you go after 1 year and a half.

tab2111
01-19-11, 12:19 AM
Advice, noted. Thanks a lot for the help josephd & 0351 Corporal. I was planning on pursuing my goal to become an officer through PLC while in school and not getting involved in the reserves, but I figured it'd be best to weigh all my options.

0351 Corporal
01-19-11, 01:26 AM
No worries, good luck with your future endevors

ammermda
01-19-11, 08:15 PM
Good advice above. Recommend you listen to it + patience