PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Islanders celebrate heritage

thedrifter
10-07-03, 06:13 AM
Pacific Islanders celebrate heritage
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003103184816
Story by Staff. Sgt. Jesus A. Lora

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(October 3, 2003) -- Here on the mainland this weekend, there was an explosion of vibrant colors and deep pounding drums echoed at Ski Beach, Mission Bay Park at the 9th Annual Pacific Islanders Festival.

The Pacific Islands are enriched with magical traditions of music, dance and a heritage that dates back hundreds of years. Each year visitor's flock to these islands and are captivated by a unique beauty that can be treasured for a lifetime.

Songs of the Pacific was this year's theme that showcased singing and chanting, dancing and storytelling, exotic food, crafts, and artifacts in the finest Pacific Islander tradition.

"I went last year and had a blast," said PFC Billy Quinn, missile optical technician, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines, Camp Pendleton, Calif. My girlfriend called me last night and asked me to go to this year's festival which is kind of different now that I'm a Marine. I feel more of a pride than I did last year being a civilian."

In front of the Hawaiian decorative stage, an ocean of blankets and lawn chairs laid across the sea of green. The morning's mist greeted the more than 50,000 people for this year's festival.

Mainlanders were treated to exotic sounds and dance from Hawaii, Tonga, New Zealand, Guam, and the crowd's favorite, Samoa.

On Saturday, one of the first bands to play had the crowd swaying side-to-side, like smooth tunes of a crystal-blue ocean of Island Soul. This newly formed band mixed island reggae with R&B flavor.

Dancers from New Zealand, Tonga and many others continued the island rhythm and enticed the goers to stomp their feet in unison to the different beats of assorted drums.

King Kamehameha, fabled ruler of the Hawaiian islands for more than a century, must have felt the energy below and waved his mighty arm and washed away the overcast, which spilled beautiful rays of sunshine that brightened the hearts and minds of those in attendance.

The island magic continued Sunday with more rainbows of colors, assorted shells and feathers, with deep pounding drums that seemed to bounce off the heavens above. The Pacific Islands not only brought the energy on stage, but also served many exotic foods for people to enjoy.

Lumpia, from Guam, and other assorted dishes from Tonga, Hawaii and Samoa had festival goers going back for seconds and thirds.

"I love what I do here," said Pete Porotesano, a cook with Ola Mo Keriso Samoan Church. I cook for the enjoyment of seeing people's smiles "We will cook more than 40 cases of chicken for this festival and the money will be donated to the construction of our new church."

An island festival would not be complete without craft booths from around the world. More than 60 booths brought treasures from different islands, each having its own culture and history.

The Aloha spirit was definitely felt and enjoyed during this two-day festival. Locals and visitors alike enjoyed this festival.

One little girl who attended the festival told her mother upon leaving, "Mommy I can't wait for the next time we come, I like the flowers and the dancers. I don't want to leave."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003103185132/$file/White-line_lr.jpg

The dancers from Imahen Taotao Tano Chamorro, representing Guam, preformed a "Tasion Aparima," which tells a story with hand movements. The dancers wore White Kukui nuts on their skirts, part of their traditional dress.
Photo by: Staff. Sgt. Jesus A. Lora

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003103185016/$file/screaming-guy_lr.jpg

Petty Officer 2nd class, Ron Bayaca, a Navy corpsmen, Balboa Hospital, performs New Zealand's "Haka" dance. "Haka" is a warrior's dance intended to frighten known enemies and prepare men for battle.
Photo by: Staff. Sgt. Jesus A. Lora

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7F12F709B3946A2085256DB4007D4513?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: