PDA

View Full Version : Meds and deployments.

dunn2517CB03
01-18-11, 01:52 PM
Been in for 3 years, reserve NCO 0331. Thought id introduce myself first. Recently in about the past year I have had a lot of problems that have never been around before, so I went and got help. I am on an antidepressant Bupropn and also was diagnosed with a pretty severe case of adult adhd that has been negatively affecting me for as long as I can remember, so Im also prescribed aderall. This is threw a civilian doctor, the thing is we are gearing up to deploy to afgan in the next 6months. I come here to get the advice of some brothers on the course of action I should take. Im weary to pass it up the chain and then get medically bumped, or separated or worse. Im looking forward to going with my company and doing work, Im just nervous on what I should do, my doc says if I stop bad **** could go down, but then again how is a grunt gonna get meds at some FOB out in the can. Looking for advice brothers.

Zulu 36
01-18-11, 04:26 PM
Been in for 3 years, reserve NCO 0331. Thought id introduce myself first. Recently in about the past year I have had a lot of problems that have never been around before, so I went and got help. I am on an antidepressant Bupropn and also was diagnosed with a pretty severe case of adult adhd that has been negatively affecting me for as long as I can remember, so Im also prescribed aderall. This is threw a civilian doctor, the thing is we are gearing up to deploy to afgan in the next 6months. I come here to get the advice of some brothers on the course of action I should take. Im weary to pass it up the chain and then get medically bumped, or separated or worse. Im looking forward to going with my company and doing work, Im just nervous on what I should do, my doc says if I stop bad **** could go down, but then again how is a grunt gonna get meds at some FOB out in the can. Looking for advice brothers.

Bupropion (aka: Welbutrin) is a fairly mild anti-depressant as they go and you could wean yourself off that within a month or so (if you needed to). Still, it's better to wean under a doctor's supervision. I take Bupropion along with Zoloft.

Adderall is a pretty powerful medication. You should not wean off of that stuff by yourself. The doctor should be monitoring you while you wean. I don't think the Marine Corps will be very happy to find you on Adderall if you haven't told them. As it is an amphetamine, you would pop hot on a p*ss test. Getting it legally from a civilian doctor (since you are a reservist) will keep you out of the brig, but not necessarily out of trouble as you are supposed to report use of such meds to your unit.

All such meds should be reported to your unit's sick bay. That way, if you are allowed to deploy, they will provide the meds for you. If your unit thinks you should not deploy while taking those meds, especially Adderall, it is probably for the best (best for you and best for your unit).

HM3 Doc Wilder
01-19-11, 10:53 PM
Very informative Zulu36-I never even heard of that amfedermine -I was given WellButin-as a anti-depressant-for tinnitus.My body did'nt like wellbutin.....It kept me up and made my heart hurt.I liked your Cardiac Cath Info also-The IsoVue Dye-shows every blood vessel,every chamber,and left and right-bicuspid(Mitral) valve and tricuspid valve on the right side of the heart.Never the less you were correct in everything else...See I told you you have special skills....Zulu36...S/F.......