PDA

View Full Version : AWOL State Of Mind

thedrifter
10-07-03, 06:06 AM
AWOL STATE OF MIND: CALLS FROM SOLDIERS DESPERATE TO LEAVE IRAQ FLOOD HOTLINE <br />
<br />
October 5, 2003 -- EXCLUSIVE <br />
<br />
Morale among some war-weary GIs in Iraq is so low that a growing number of soldiers -...

Dan_Mills
10-07-03, 02:13 PM
I have gone on record before and I will repeat it now: It is my belief that this extended Reserve and National Guard call up is going to cripple if not destroy our current all volunteer service. I feel that the extended overseas stays, are going to come back to bite us as well. Just as soon as the freeze is lifted, I look for a mass departure from all branches of the service, including our beloved Marine Corps.

Our Ready Reserve and National Guard forces were designed to cover conflicts until our active duty people could build strength and get up to speed. Far too many young men and women are now loosing their jobs, home and futures with deployments of this length. We can say they knew the risk when they signed up, but we haven't had a call up like this since WWII.
I think that if we continue down this path, we need to be ready for a return to the draft, because we will need it to restock our military.