PDA

View Full Version : IST Progress

Wannabe2011
01-18-11, 01:36 AM
The other day I went to the gym and ran 1.5 miles on an elliptical in 12:30. Would my time be at all influence by the fact it was an elliptical over treadmill or regular ground?

Also, is it situps or crunches that are done as I think I've seen both in different peoples signatures.

Thanks a bunch Marines!

Casedizzy2821
01-18-11, 02:19 AM
The only real way to test your run time is to run outside. You can "train" on a treadmill, e.g. interval training, but where the rubber meets the road (pun intended) is measuring out 1.5 miles on relatively flat ground, and running it.

I use the eliptical sometimes to switch it up, and I know what you are saying about the miles, but you can't compare it to running. It's apples and oranges.

As far as crunches, it's crunches, not sit-ups. From the order:

c. Abdominal Crunch. The goal of the abdominal crunch event is for a Marine to execute as many proper and complete crunches within the prescribed time limit.

The procedures are:

(1) 2-minute time limit.

(2) On a flat surface, Marines will lie flat on their back with shoulder
blades touching the deck, knees will be bent, and both feet will be flat on the deck.

(3) The arms will be folded across the chest or rib cage with no gap
existing between the arms and chest/rib cage. Both arms must remain in constant contact with chest/rib cage throughout the exercise. A single repetition consists of raising the upper body from the starting position until both forearms or elbows simultaneously touch the thighs, and then returning to the starting position with the shoulder blades touching the deck.

(4) The buttocks will remain in constant contact with the deck throughout
the event. No arching of the lower back or lifting the buttocks is permitted.

(5) An assistant may be used to hold a Marine's legs or feet, at or below
the knees in whatever manner that is most comfortable for the Marine. Kneeling or sitting on the Marine’s feet is permitted.

(6) A repetition will be counted when an accurate and complete abdominal
crunch is performed.

Source: www.usmc.mil/news/.../MCO%20P6100.12%20W%20CH%201.pdf (http://www.usmc.mil/news/.../MCO%20P6100.12%20W%20CH%201.pdf)