PDA

View Full Version : Communications MOS

Colby Rogers
01-17-11, 08:52 PM
The MOS i got is field wireman. Can anyone tell what its like? I have heard alot of different things about it and I still don't really know what to expect.

But if it's good enough for the Corps it's good enough for me.

Lisa 23
01-17-11, 09:12 PM
Need some info about field wireman
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100914&highlight=field+wireman

Devil1087
01-18-11, 12:03 AM
Thanks WM... real helpful for the kid..

Well digging trenches to lay wire is what you'll do a lot. Setting up phone lines, maintaining lines that connect FOB's and stuff to each other. Good stuff like that, it's kinda the ass end of the comms MOS though.

Casedizzy2821
01-18-11, 03:34 AM
Thanks WM... real helpful for the kid..

Well digging trenches to lay wire is what you'll do a lot. Setting up phone lines, maintaining lines that connect FOB's and stuff to each other. Good stuff like that, it's kinda the ass end of the comms MOS though.

Laying the wire is only a small portion of the MOS. Programming the phones via the DEOS/RSAM/VX is your main portion.

Most wire these days is done by contractors. You'll do a few wire digs in field ops, but when in the rear, you don't do much of anything (police call, marinenet classes)

Colby Rogers
01-18-11, 09:45 PM
Would I be able to cross train in different comm MOS's while im in?

Casedizzy2821
01-18-11, 10:11 PM
Would I be able to cross train in different comm MOS's while im in?

Yes, absolutely! Just be cool with the other shops (data, transmission, techcon) and they would most likely be receptive to cross train you.

Just be careful what you wish for because the more you know, the more you will be a comm *****, and will be relied on for everything.

Also make sure you know your MOS in and out first before you go learning others.

Colby Rogers
01-20-11, 07:52 PM
Ok cool because I really wanted to be a filed radio operator but I guess that's not what they had in mind for me

Devil1087
01-20-11, 10:25 PM
field radio is a damn good job, if you're good at it at least...

Mwhite732
01-23-11, 11:46 PM
Im stationed here at 29 palms right now doing training for comm, im no wireman but i train with them. You might find yourself here someday. Boring. But anyways. Wiremen Set up phones and **** in country. Good for you. Because everyone wants what you got. Trade favors and maybe you'll get to check your facebook haha.

Colby Rogers
01-24-11, 08:55 PM
What are police calls and marinenet?

Colby Rogers
01-24-11, 08:59 PM
What are trade favors? I don't want to be some mother****er that hardly does anything all day.

Colby Rogers
01-24-11, 11:10 PM
Nevermind I just missunderstood what you said. ha!

AlohaMarine
01-24-11, 11:30 PM
Police calls are awesome things where you and like 5 other guys go outside and strategically locate, close with, and destroy the trash around your place of work or living! Its great, and you can expect to do it well through your 3 year mark. Even after you're a corporal, you'll probably still be doing it. Its amazing. The best part is when you wake up at 4am every day Mon-Fri to police call leaves. You know, the things that fall off trees? Its fun then because its dark out and you can't see any leaves. So you of course trip and fall, and get yelled at. Then at like 0600 when the sun has come up right after you just PT'd your ass off, you'll get back and realize you missed a ton of leaves (because it was dark and you couldn't see, remember?) and you'll have to do it all over again. Only this time your mouth is parched, your legs are sore, and youve got sweat burning your eyes.

By the time youve picked all of them up, youve got 15 minutes to shave, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, and go to formation.

After formation the Gunny will most likely tell you all that you did a horrible job field daying the barracks, and you will all have to go back to police call again. This will last till about 0900, when you finally get to leave and go to work. Then, when you get there, your Master Sergeant will be like "Hey SSgt, have some of your Marines police call around the shop. It looks disgusting"

Repeat for 48 months.

The funny thing is, any poolees reading this are going to think

A.) I'm lieing/exaggerating
or
B.) It won't happen to them.

:)

Devil1087
01-25-11, 02:00 AM
Police calls are awesome things where you and like 5 other guys go outside and strategically locate, close with, and destroy the trash around your place of work or living! Its great, and you can expect to do it well through your 3 year mark. Even after you're a corporal, you'll probably still be doing it. Its amazing. The best part is when you wake up at 4am every day Mon-Fri to police call leaves. You know, the things that fall off trees? Its fun then because its dark out and you can't see any leaves. So you of course trip and fall, and get yelled at. Then at like 0600 when the sun has come up right after you just PT'd your ass off, you'll get back and realize you missed a ton of leaves (because it was dark and you couldn't see, remember?) and you'll have to do it all over again. Only this time your mouth is parched, your legs are sore, and youve got sweat burning your eyes.

By the time youve picked all of them up, youve got 15 minutes to shave, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, and go to formation.

After formation the Gunny will most likely tell you all that you did a horrible job field daying the barracks, and you will all have to go back to police call again. This will last till about 0900, when you finally get to leave and go to work. Then, when you get there, your Master Sergeant will be like "Hey SSgt, have some of your Marines police call around the shop. It looks disgusting"

Repeat for 48 months.

The funny thing is, any poolees reading this are going to think

A.) I'm lieing/exaggerating
or
B.) It won't happen to them.

:)

this

indygti
01-25-11, 08:15 AM
I always preferred to act like I was **** hot and would ***** slap my squad leader and platoon sergeant and tell them to **** off while smoking a cig on the balcony of my barracks. And when I'm done smoking I would throw my cigarette butt in the grass even though I was told not to 14813294814 times and watch all the suckers who are police calling pick it up.

yaaaaaaaa, that's how I roll

Colby Rogers
02-02-11, 09:53 PM
Ok I've been thinking about switching to artillery or combat support. Y'all just confirmed that, thanks. ha!