PDA

View Full Version : ingrown toenail question

lake9
01-17-11, 06:43 PM
I ship out in about 3 weeks and i feel like i have a ingrown toenail coming on. I went to the podiatrist about a week ago because i wanted to confirm if i was correct. He said they will not get infected while at boot camp and doesn't think they are ingrown, Even Though i can feel a small pain from the nail pressing on my skin.
now i can deal with the pain but if it gets infected while at bootcamp thats when you need medical help. So i was wondering what do they do for ingrown toenails at bootcamp? this wont DQ me right?

SlingerDun
01-17-11, 06:54 PM
... i was wondering what do they do for ingrown toenails at bootcamp?They will observe you limping (it can't be hidden as pain advances), send you to sickbay and relieve the pressure.

Do you have a rotary tool? you can do it now if you can isolate the problem...

lake9
01-17-11, 06:57 PM
They will observe you limping (it can't be hidden as pain advances), send you to sickbay and relieve the pressure.

Do you have a rotary tool? you can do it now if you can isolate the problem...

yeah im sure my dads got one laying around...
the side of my nail is growing down into the side into my skin .
but its not infected right now and the pain is very minimal. so if it does get infected they will fix it and i can get back to training correct?

SlingerDun
01-17-11, 07:04 PM
If it does get infected they will fix it and i can get back to training correct?I dont know about all that, what i do know is that: nail will continue to grow and if you don't stop or change it's growth pattern... guess what?

lake9
01-17-11, 07:26 PM
I dont know about all that, what i do know is that: nail will continue to grow and if you don't stop or change it's growth pattern... guess what?

well i dont know what i should do then... i went to a podiatrist and he said it will be fine...i told him bootcamp is no joke etc. etc. that my feet would be under ALOT of stress.

SlingerDun
01-17-11, 07:36 PM
Keep an eye on it, they can feel acutely miserable. Be prepared to debride the misdirected material after numbing your toe with ice, or go back to the doc. It only hurts for a few days after

Lisa 23
01-17-11, 07:56 PM
Understanding Ingrown Nail - Treatment

What Are the Treatments?

Most ingrown nail problems can be prevented with proper grooming of the toes and by wearing better-fitting shoes. Try to reduce pressure on the toe by wearing sandals or by not wearing a shoe for several days.

Avoid trimming the corner of the toenail unless you can easily see and clip the corner of the nail. Otherwise this can lead to a worsening of the ingrown toenail.

Try soaking your toe in warm, salty water, like an Epsom salt solution, two times a day. Apply a local antibiotic cream and bandage. If the nail has not been ingrown for long, it may heal in one to two weeks. Seek help from a health care professional if home management techniques do not relieve your symptoms or if the nail becomes infected.

If you seek medical help because your ingrown nail has become infected, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic. In many cases, your doctor may recommend partial removal of a severely ingrown nail. Unless the ingrowing piece of nail is removed, the problems tend to persist. Permanent removal of the nail root at the ingrown side may be advised if ingrown nails recur. These procedures are done in the doctor's office or surgery center under a local anesthetic.

Sometimes an ingrown nail is caused by a fungus. A podiatrist can determine if you have a fungus and then offer treatment options.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-ingrown-nail-treatment

lake9
01-17-11, 08:01 PM
Understanding Ingrown Nail - Treatment

What Are the Treatments?

Most ingrown nail problems can be prevented with proper grooming of the toes and by wearing better-fitting shoes. Try to reduce pressure on the toe by wearing sandals or by not wearing a shoe for several days.

Avoid trimming the corner of the toenail unless you can easily see and clip the corner of the nail. Otherwise this can lead to a worsening of the ingrown toenail.

Try soaking your toe in warm, salty water, like an Epsom salt solution, two times a day. Apply a local antibiotic cream and bandage. If the nail has not been ingrown for long, it may heal in one to two weeks. Seek help from a health care professional if home management techniques do not relieve your symptoms or if the nail becomes infected.

If you seek medical help because your ingrown nail has become infected, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic. In many cases, your doctor may recommend partial removal of a severely ingrown nail. Unless the ingrowing piece of nail is removed, the problems tend to persist. Permanent removal of the nail root at the ingrown side may be advised if ingrown nails recur. These procedures are done in the doctor's office or surgery center under a local anesthetic.

Sometimes an ingrown nail is caused by a fungus. A podiatrist can determine if you have a fungus and then offer treatment options.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-ingrown-nail-treatment

thanks, thats one of the things iv been doing. everyday after im done with my run i take a bath with Epsom salt. i'm just worried it will get infected and they will send me home because of it...

Zulu 36
01-17-11, 08:34 PM
Keep an eye on it, they can feel acutely miserable. Be prepared to debride the misdirected material after numbing your toe with ice, or go back to the doc. It only hurts for a few days after

I love this. Ingrown nail advice from a farrier. :D

Slinger is correct, however.

hbharrison
01-17-11, 09:02 PM
Slinger works on one big toe at a time.:D

lake9
01-17-11, 09:08 PM
haha..

Quinbo
01-17-11, 10:10 PM
If it gets really bad the doctor will split it down the middle and remove the whole nail then send you to MRP for a couple of weeks so it can heal. They won't send you home.

lake9
01-17-11, 10:23 PM
If it gets really bad the doctor will split it down the middle and remove the whole nail then send you to MRP for a couple of weeks so it can heal. They won't send you home.

well as long as i dont get sent home. it would suck if that happens but id rather die down their then come home with out being a Marine.

SlingerDun
01-17-11, 11:59 PM
I love this. Ingrown nail advice from a farrierdremmel with a pointy micro bit works pretty damn well on keratin and when the digit is on ice it doesn't bleed near as bad. Smear a little sugardyne on the mess, wrap up and you'll be tracking sound, in a few days

I'm done here

Devil1087
01-18-11, 12:00 AM
ahahaha holy sh*t I remember this Marine who had ingrown toenail and it got infected really bad. We tried soaking it in hot water and relieving some of the pressure with a needle. he was screaming like a little girl bahah, it's going to be painful as hell dude. Never saw him again unfortunately, can't tell you what happened with him..

brian0351
01-18-11, 12:13 AM
Jeez,

Be a man, Get a pair of tweezers and cuticle scissors...Slide the tweezers along the side of your nail and a little bit under it. See if you can lift the part that is growing into your toe and clip it. It will hurt like a ***** but will feel better the next day.

I had chronic ingrowns when I was at SOI. The most they will do is numb the toe, and cut out 1/4 to 1/2 of your nail. Then you will most likely get light duty for 4+ days. Depending on where you are at Boot Camp you may be dropped to another phase or they will keep you.

Devil1087
01-18-11, 12:40 AM
Well he actually had to go to the doc's to have it operated on, we were in MOS school at the time. He was a fat body so I think they had to cut into him to get to the nail hahaha

lake9
01-18-11, 12:45 AM
Well he actually had to go to the doc's to have it operated on, we were in MOS school at the time. He was a fat body so I think they had to cut into him to get to the nail hahaha

That sucks..My nail is not nearly that bad. i have had it horribly infected before, that was about two years ago.

Zulu 36
01-18-11, 04:03 PM
That sucks..My nail is not nearly that bad. i have had it horribly infected before, that was about two years ago.

The earlier you take care of it, the easier it is. I've had a couple of ingrown big toenails over my life and took care of them myself. Yeah, it hurt, but so it would if a doctor took care of it.

I've also lost both of my big toe nails a couple of times each from getting them stomped on in fights with people resisting arrest. I just kept the nail taped down until it basically finished coming off by itself, then continued to keep the nail bed protected with a band-aid until the new nail finished growing. Never lost a day of work.

Phantom Blooper
01-18-11, 05:15 PM
Go get a pedicure and let one of those young ladies soak your dogs and rub your legs.....just don't let them put any clear shiat on them....cheaper than a doc.

lake9
01-18-11, 05:38 PM
Go get a pedicure and let one of those young ladies soak your dogs and rub your legs.....just don't let them put any clear shiat on them....cheaper than a doc.

nahhh...
Im just going to tough it out...if it gets infected it gets infected ill deal with it.

thanks everyone for advice:thumbup: