PDA

View Full Version : running pain help, sorry about being long winded

holey336
01-17-11, 05:21 PM
hello all, i know there's a lot written on this topic already but i haven't been able to find any answers to my question. basically i was never big on running and since starting for the Marine Corp i've had alot of shin pain, i think mostly because i did too much too fast. i've seen beginer programs that recommend less running than what im doing now, but my lungs and muscular endurance can handle the runs and i dont want to go backwards by doing less. so im trying to run through the pain without getting injured, and right now in my training scheduel i have a week of non impact cardio to recover a bit. my question is reguarding leg/calf compression to help alleviate some pain and help healing, but wasnt sure if i wear them through out the day, while i sleep, durring the run, after the run ect. or if there are any other tips to help reduce the pain such as calf/shin execises, or anything as long as i dont need to stop running.(my time right now is between 13:30-14:30 :( depending how much my legs hurt and im hoping to be able to leave by march) thanks in adavance for any advice you might have.

holey336
01-17-11, 05:29 PM
also ive fixed my stride, and got fitted for running shoes at a store with fancy shmancy video gait analyasis, plus im doing stretches for the calves/shins (not sure if they're helping) so i dont know why im experiencing so much pain

Vise
01-17-11, 05:30 PM
Marine Corps*

holey336
01-17-11, 05:32 PM
sorry, didnt catch that, i'll edit it if i can

PooleeGewarges
01-17-11, 06:23 PM
When I first started running in 11th grade, I too had shin splints. My coach made me run with the pain, my calves and shin strengthened, so I no longer experience the pain, unless my running shoes are worn out. Get fitting running shoes, some insoles, and start strengthening those legs!

holey336
01-17-11, 06:33 PM
thank you Gewarges, i was worried about making the injuries worse, but i thought running through the pain would help eventually

IHaveEGA843
01-17-11, 08:09 PM
Shoes do make a big difference especially if you're flat footed. I have problems with shin splints and I know its my lack of running experience and my flat feet. The more I run past the pain the more I can run without them starting to affect me while I run.

Build yourself up. Run a mile and if it hurts just finish out the mile. Do 2 miles once you're use to the mile or just a mile an half. Dont kill your lower leg muscles but make them build themselves to the pounding they'll endure during RT.

If you're big on getting those times lower cross train. One day just run 3-4 miles. Depending on your time youll be doing 30-40 min but this is to get you ready and being able to run 3 or more miles. Then do cardio on the eliptical and bike for low to no impact with the ground but build up with the resistence and time. Try doing both for 30 minutes each and push. Your times will come down

Buhler
01-18-11, 10:12 PM
I had the same problem from running in wrestling shoes (no support). After the season ended and I got some decent running shoes w/ good ankle support and tied those mothers tight, and that seemed to help a lot.

kjohnson8824
01-19-11, 12:34 PM
Marine Corps*

If you gave the time and effort to correct him why don't you try to give the guy some real help and answer his question?

kjohnson8824
01-19-11, 12:36 PM
But holey, if your shin splits get worse, DONT RUN a former DI told me that a kid broke his leg on an O course because his shin splints got so bad, Push yourself to see if it gets better but you need to know the difference between hurt and injured. Good luck hope your legs workout for you

IHaveEGA843
01-19-11, 07:12 PM
It depends kjohnson because my shin splits come from the muscles tightening and actually begining to cramp into a knot. I feel it tighten and tighten each step I take but I just push through it.

If its not cramps *usually from lack of water or stretching* then it is a sign of stress fractures. Take a couple days off from impact running and press on the bone where it hurts at. See if the pain is a sudden sharp pain and gets worse as you apply more pressure. If so thats a stress fracture and that will cause you to break your legs the more you run on it. I read that off medical sites and did the test then I knew it was just the muscles especially since after I run I just walk around for a couple min and the pain goes away.

Do that check man because itll suck to be away threw RT for your shin to snap on you.

TFKnight
01-20-11, 03:47 AM
Strech it out! sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front. put a towel or belt behind your foot just below the toes and use it to stretch your shins. Look up shin stretches, there are a lot of them. Ice will help as well.

Lisa 23
06-02-11, 11:32 AM
Body Shop: Don’t take shinsplints in stride

By Allison Pattillo - Special to Military Times
Posted : Sunday Mar 6, 2011 17:31:10 EST

When you increase your running or rucking miles, it’s normal for your muscles to complain a bit. But a dull, aching pain in the front of your lower legs is not normal. That dull ache, known as shinsplints, can sideline even the most experienced athletes.

We consulted with the military’s Human Performance Resource Center, interviewed medical professionals and spoke to athletes for prevention and treatment options to keep you running long and strong.

What is it?

Shinsplints refers to below-the-knee pain from tendonitis, periostitis (inflammation of the bone-tissue covering), stress fractures or compartment syndrome. Depending upon the cause, pain may be constant or felt during or after exercise. The area may be painful to the touch.

Air Force Lt. Col. (Dr.) Anthony Beutler, chief of the Injury Prevention Research Lab at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., recommends this self-test:

“If it hurts to press along the inside edge of your shin bone from just above the ankle bone up to the mid shin, then you likely have shinsplints.”

Shinsplints tend to hurt at the beginning of a running program and then get better. Shin pain that gets worse the more you run, makes it hard to sleep at night, or hasn’t gone away with two to three weeks warrants a trip to the doctor.

Some of the causes

Shinsplints usually are caused by high-impact exercise, such as running — especially running downhill — and by playing stop-and-start sports such as basketball.

In the military, common triggers are running on pavement for long distances, increasing running distance or speed too quickly, running in improper footwear and rucking or marching in boots.

“Shinsplints happen when the shock or force you put on your foot and leg exceeds the shock-absorbing ability of the limb,” Beutler says.

Prevention tips
Some advice to keep you running with your squad:

Check your footwear. Replace running shoes every 300 to 500 miles, and consider orthotic inserts for boots. Walk in the boots before running in them. Then run a quarter-mile in the boots and increase your boot mileage by 10 percent per week.

Don’t increase total running distance by more than 10 percent per week. Preparing your body by gradually increasing distance will allow muscles and ligaments to adjust.

Get variety in your workout. A balanced plan will help keep your body in peak form. Incorporate strength training, stretching and cross-training.

Treat the pain

The ache of shinsplints is your signal to back off high-impact exercise, at least for a while.

RICE — rest, ice, compression and elevation — is the best treatment for shinsplints. When resting, try activities that won’t aggravate your injury, such as swimming and cycling. Apply ice to shins regularly to reduce swelling and trauma. Compression can help with recovery and also limit further injury. Elevate as needed until the pain subsides.

Depending upon the injury and your doctor’s recommendations, stretch and strengthen the lower leg to promote recovery and prevent future incidents.

You may also check with your physician about using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.

Once you’re pain free, follow a return-to-running program. Beutler’s favorite is found at

www.healthyutah.org/downloads/pa/walkrunprogram.pdf (http://www.healthyutah.org/downloads/pa/walkrunprogram.pdf).

See a doctor

Lower leg pain also may be caused by a more serious stress fracture or compartment syndrome, both common in runners.

Compartment syndrome results from repetitive trauma and overuse, with athletes experiencing swelling in the lower legs, pain, numbness and possible permanent nerve damage.

If pain doesn’t go away after two to three weeks of strengthening and stretching exercises, check with your doctor.

EXERCISES

Achieving balanced lower-leg strength will help to prevent injuries such as shinsplints. Try these exercises:

Toe raises
• Beginner: From a standing position, slowly rise up on your toes, then slowly lower back to the floor. Repeat 30 times. Do this two to three times a day.
• Intermediate: Advance by standing on one foot. Rise up on your toes 10 times, then switch legs and repeat 10 times. Do three sets per leg, twice a day.
• Advanced: Stand with the toes of one leg on the edge of a step. Your heel should drop down below the edge. Repeat 10 times. Do three sets per leg, twice a day.

Toes and heels
Spend some time each day walking on your toes. When you get tired of walking on your toes, walk on your heels. To start, aim for five to 10 minutes each.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/offduty/health/offduty-body-shop-dont-take-shinsplints-in-stride-030711w/

Gunstream
06-02-11, 01:26 PM
The exercises listed in the above article will hep tremendously. I also know of one more that I used that helped me phenominally. Lying in bed, hold all of your toes still except for your big toe. Slowly draw each character in the alphabet with your big toe. Repeat with the other foot.

MunkyVsRobot
06-02-11, 04:30 PM
After that Information I think this should be made a sticky, I know this running issue keeps coming up. I suffer from the splints aswell and it is quite helpful.

Redsfan293
06-02-11, 05:42 PM

Redsfan293
06-02-11, 05:44 PM
You should do some swimming or biking. Those both are good for your cardiovascular system and they are not going to make the shin splints worse.