PDA

View Full Version : The biggest mistake, I need help getting back in.

CPLkennethkray
01-16-11, 07:49 PM
My biggest mistake this far was thinking at age 22 that there was something better than the Corp. I got out then, my mistake. I am now 25yrs old, andwant nothing more than to get back to active duty. I have been a college student since getting out and successful one at that. I heard somewhere,on a movie or something that if you wake up everyday and think about fishing, then u are meant to be a fishermen, and if u wake up everyday and think about flying you are meant to be a pilot. Every morning i wake up and want to be a marine, how can I get back to my Marine Corps? Can anyone out there put me in contact with a prior service, or helpme in anyway.

Semper fi brothers

Chad Leddy
01-16-11, 08:51 PM
Join the club...

Burke7051
01-17-11, 01:45 AM
I think about it a lot too still. I kind of regret getting out sometimes and not doing a full 20. Ever thought about either talking to a recruiter, or even the ROTC department if your college has one?

Or maybe just finish up college, and try and get a commission and go the Marine Officer route, you are prior enlisted and with a Degree your chances would be good. You might have a good shot at it.

Best wishes bro.

devilbones2
01-17-11, 06:23 AM
Where are you located and what was your MOS?

TunTvrnWarrior
01-17-11, 07:58 AM
Get the degree first. That is a feather you want in your cover. It will help should you want to go the SNCO, Warrent Officer, or Officer Route. You have said you are a good student, keep at it. Get yourself back into fighting form... you know what to do about that.

Make friends with the local recruiter, not necessarily to get back in right now. See if you can contact senior SNCO and Officer Marines that you served in with in your old unit and develop a dialouge. You may want them to write a letter of reccomendation. Get your ducks in a row. It is my understanding it is very competititve right now.

It is pretty easy to get into the Reserves right now, but I dont think that is what you want from the way you are talking. But if you do, they do have active reserve slots.

Old Marine
01-17-11, 10:31 AM
My biggest mistake this far was thinking at age 22 that there was something better than the Corp. I got out then, my mistake. I am now 25yrs old, andwant nothing more than to get back to active duty. I have been a college student since getting out and successful one at that. I heard somewhere,on a movie or something that if you wake up everyday and think about fishing, then u are meant to be a fishermen, and if u wake up everyday and think about flying you are meant to be a pilot. Every morning i wake up and want to be a marine, how can I get back to my Marine Corps? Can anyone out there put me in contact with a prior service, or helpme in anyway.

Semper fi brothers You should not feel like the Lone Ranger. There seems to be a whole lot of Marines on this forum who wish they were back in. You can always blame it on the Career Planner for not doing his job. Things are never as good on the other side as a person thinks they should be.:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-18-11, 01:56 AM
Basically, take yourself down to the nearest recruiter, DD-214 in hand, and talk to them. I'd advise finishing college first but that's just me.

Ensure you can still pass a PFT.

wildwoman73
01-18-11, 04:52 AM
You should not feel like the Lone Ranger. There seems to be a whole lot of Marines on this forum who wish they were back in. You can always blame it on the Career Planner for not doing his job. Things are never as good on the other side as a person thinks they should be.:evilgrin:
:thumbup: