PDA

View Full Version : question from a foreigner

coler24
01-16-11, 04:14 PM
hello there,

I have a few questions which I'd be grateful if someone could help me with, I'm an Irishman marrying my girlfriend (who is a US citizen) at the end of this year. I'll be moving to just outside San Francisco,I have searched around the net and there doesn't seem to be any marine bases near San Francisco, Looks like camp pendleton is the closest, though open to correction on that, so I think that rules me out of joining the active service marines, so Im considering the reserve marines, to be a reservist do you have to live a certain distance from the base?
whats life like in the reserve marines? I'll be 26, will I be the old man in training? as I heard most marines are young lads in their teens and early twenties, have 5 years done in the Irish army so have experience of military life, although I reckon the marines are a whole different ball game,
appreciate any help you can give

elliscraig12
01-16-11, 05:13 PM
1. Fill out your profile
2. Marine must be capitalized
3. Read the site rules

coler24
01-16-11, 05:39 PM
not to sure how to edit my previous post, will capitalize Marine in future, no offence intended

0351 Corporal
01-16-11, 06:15 PM
1. You can join Active or Reserve Marine Corps forces no matter where you live in the U.S.

- Training is the same for Active Marines, and Reserve Marines through Boot Camp. Once you earn the title of Marine you will be sent to training at Camp Pendleton. Depending on your MOS (job), you will begin training in the School of Infantry or Marine Combat training, both of which are at the same location on Camp Pendleton.

- After your training is complete you will be shipped to your assigned duty station if you are Active duty. If you are Reserve you will be shipped back home to report to your reserve duty station. You should familiarize yourself with the differences between Marine Corps Active and Marine Corps Reserve.

2. 26 is an average age people seem to be joining the Marine Corps at. You will be old to some, and young to others.

coler24
01-17-11, 05:42 PM
looks like I'll have to try for the reserve then, thank you for your help

advanced
01-18-11, 10:21 AM
Too bad you are not located in the eastern part of the country, then you could go to Parris Island and become a real Marine.

elliscraig12
01-18-11, 11:07 AM
Too bad you are not located in the eastern part of the country, then you could go to Parris Island and become a real Marine.

Lights, Camera, Mount Mother.:nerd:

0351 Corporal
01-18-11, 10:17 PM

Lol. We can't all enjoy the pleasure of fresh clean air, and flat ground to hike through on a hump like Parris Island Marins. Us "Hollywood" Marines have the pleasure of sucking down jet exahust every day, Hiking over mountains, and relishing the mind f*@! that is the reeper.

:marine:

jumpinjack
01-18-11, 10:30 PM
We hollywood Marines are of course the strongest, hardest and badest of the bad, meanest of the mean...OOOOH RAAHH SEMPER FI

TunTvrnWarrior
01-19-11, 07:30 AM

I thought only WM's were made at Parris Island.

advanced
01-19-11, 09:11 AM
I thought only WM's were made at Parris Island.

No - Real Marines are made at PI, that simply includes Women Marines as well.

TunTvrnWarrior
01-19-11, 10:21 AM
I respectfully disagree with you there Advanced. Besides, they issue Parris Island recruits Ivermectin and Phentromine to put in their ditty bag to prevent a pandemic in the Corps.

advanced
01-19-11, 10:41 AM
I respectfully disagree with you there Advanced. Besides, they issue Parris Island recruits Ivermectin and Phentromine to put in their ditty bag to prevent a pandemic in the Corps.

Such big words for a Marine. No disrespect taken TunTvrnWarrior. For your benefit I will admit that I have come to respect many SD Marines as if they were real Marines. A few were even allowed to serve in my unit with real Marines.

Which brand of sunglasses did you like the best?

TunTvrnWarrior
01-19-11, 11:08 AM
Advanced, I know it is a stretch on the big words. After all, whether we went to Parris Island or San Diego, we were only taught one syllable words that would take the barnacles off the side of a ship.

Have a great day. Semper Fi!

advanced
01-19-11, 11:34 AM
Advanced, I know it is a stretch on the big words. After all, whether we went to Parris Island or San Diego, we were only taught one syllable words that would take the barnacles off the side of a ship.

Have a great day. Semper Fi!

You got that right TunTvrnWarrior, good talking to you.

Putting the jesting aside, we are all Marines, we are all equal, there is no difference.

Of course tomorrow is another day. S/F

Warbyrd13
01-19-11, 04:47 PM

But you guys were trained in Cali. The fact the referance to hollywierd is a badge of pride........

But in all fairness all the people there at SD are probaly the smartest an the brightest of the entire state. So at least we get the best from cali an all the crap is else where.