PDA

View Full Version : Total Knee Poll

lonewolf121
01-15-11, 12:32 PM
I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome.

montana
01-15-11, 12:43 PM
a good post...am waiting to read what is said...VA has been on standby to replace both my knees for bout 12 years...told me that my horse back ridding days would be over..and no breaking colts....so have put it off....dont get around real good these days but still break colts and ride

HST
01-15-11, 02:44 PM
If you've got alternate insurance and really need it done go to a real doctor and a real hospital and get it done right. The VA is a bunch of worthless uncaring butchers.

Take their money, maybe get a lu shot there but don't ever let them operate on you, unless you want to wake up on the wrong side of the grass. I used to think that the only thing they could do right was to bury us but the events at Arlington proved that they can't even do that right.,

My knee got busted up bad in 03, a real doctor tried to put it back together. It didn't work. They wanted to do a replacement. I told them only God can make a knee. I lost a bunch of weight, got on a strengthening program, work it every single day, swim hard every day to keep loose and so far, I'm doing OK, some pain sometime but no plastic parts. Your muscles support your frame, if you take care of them, they take care of you.

Old Marine
01-15-11, 03:54 PM
All depends on which VA hospital you go to. Every hospital is different as are the doctors.

HST
01-16-11, 09:07 AM
But how do you know. Civilian hospitals are graded. The VA covers buries their mistakes, covers up the crimes and intimidates the witnesses. My brother,a Chosin vet, was killed at cochran, the VA inspector general's investigators accused the witnesses of being trouble makers. End of investigation! My wifes uncle, a WWII, POW and Chosin vet had the same thing at Long Beach.

Old Marine
01-16-11, 09:53 AM
If you are having a problem with the VA hospital, there is nothing that says you must use them for an operation. You have a choice brother, go to a graded civilian hospital.

HST
01-16-11, 10:21 AM
I do as I did in my response to this vet and I advise every other vet to do the same and to make his or her elected officials of any problems they have with the VA.

If we all do that and demand a fix, the problem will be fixed. The fix is to shut them down and issue every vet a card that allows them to go to the doctor/hospital of their choice for care that is covered under their respective classification.

Old Marine
01-16-11, 10:24 AM
I do as I did in my response to this vet and I advise every other vet to do the same and to make his or her elected officials of any problems they have with the VA.

If we all do that and demand a fix, the problem will be fixed. The fix is to shut them down and issue every vet a card that allows them to go to the doctor/hospital of their choice for care that is covered under their respective classification.

Since you are so against the VA hospital system, it would be interesting to know how you feel about military hospitals.

spotts
01-16-11, 11:39 AM
The Philadelphia VA Hospital did a great job on my knee. I havent had any problems since the surgery in 95.

spotts
01-16-11, 11:41 AM
I also work in the VA regional Office in Philadelphia (Im in the Pension side, not the hospital side) so PM me if you need help through any of the paperwork process. Ill try to help you any way I can.

HST
01-16-11, 12:03 PM
Since you are so against the VA hospital system, it would be interesting to know how you feel about military hospitals.

About the same. Maybe you don't remember the pic's of Walter Reed that were sent to the press a few years ago. Thats the kind of place that the snuffs and their families get sent to when they get hurt. Officers and snco's have a lot different conditions. They did on the Repose and on every base that I've ever been to. The only place where they didn't was on my LZ, there the guys who were hit the worst got out first regardless of rank or the bullsh*t orders that some of them gave me to get them out before lower classes of the Corps.

lonewolf121
01-16-11, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies and opinions!! Thank you spotts; but I'm in like flinn. I have been to the VA in San Diego, Sheridan WY, Seattle WA, Anchorage AK, El Paso TX all of them seem fine on the surface. Though I really can't stand that breed of worker that "knows they can't be fired." I also have TriCare Prime for the family. I still go to the VA for regular stuff; but shy away from any type of real surgery. I really like and completely agree with HST on that the government should close up shop on the VA and issue all those who warrant care separate MED cards to be seen out in town. On the other hand I believe the care may actually be worse because we'd always be put in the back of the line; ever tried to be seen by a regular doc with only Tri Care standard?!

Thank you all and keep the replies coming!!

SF!!

Old Marine
01-16-11, 01:32 PM
About the same. Maybe you don't remember the pic's of Walter Reed that were sent to the press a few years ago. Thats the kind of place that the snuffs and their families get sent to when they get hurt. Officers and snco's have a lot different conditions. They did on the Repose and on every base that I've ever been to. The only place where they didn't was on my LZ, there the guys who were hit the worst got out first regardless of rank or the bullsh*t orders that some of them gave me to get them out before lower classes of the Corps.

Again, depends on the hospital. I would take a military hospital over a disorganized civilian hospital any day and twice on Sunday. Most civilian hospitals remind me of a Chinese Fire Drill.

I would also take the Reno, Nevada VA Hospital over most civilian hospitals.

HST
01-16-11, 04:14 PM
Maybe I ought to visit Reno. I've driven through a few times and I did some cold weather training at Fallon. I've heard that the VA is a lot better in some areas but they arn't worth a sh*t in the major city's and I think you might know why.

SlingerDun
01-16-11, 06:23 PM
I was freight-trained and stomped in 95 while shoeing an ill mannered nag after dark, packed my lame ass down to the VA hospital in Portland. Admittance asked if i ever received VA treatment in the...

Old Marine
01-16-11, 07:50 PM
I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome. Most good doctors are going to tell you that you are too young to have total knee replacemnt. I have been told that most knee replacements are only good for X amount of years, then they have to go in and replace again. I do not know for sure but I have heard that the titanium knees last the longest.

Marine1955
02-08-11, 04:03 AM
I was retired from the Corps 14 years ago because of an incident that involved having my knee crushed. I've got a couple rugg rats now who are always wanting to go out and play; but have to wait for me to have a "good day." SO I've got a question for those of you who have had a Total Knee done at the VA. Was it successful? Good, bad, PITA, etc. Let me know any and all advise or suggestions. Opinion are always welcome.

Don't wait to go to the V.A. and have it done!!!
I got mine done by a trained professional and that does make a big difference having it done by a trained pro as to a wanna be pro. I know mine fills 100% better now and although I can't run and get around like I use to do it's better than before by a lone shot. and what ever you do don't have both knees done at ONCE !!! have one done week then give yourself a week or two cause it will take about 6 weeks to get back on your feet. your P.T. is very important also so do it just like they say to do and get a stationary bike you'll need that also..Believe me...

lonewolf121
02-08-11, 09:12 AM
This is good advice. Thank you! I do have the opportunity to get it done at the hospital that my wife works at. She was almost beside herself telling me about the advances they had there. But then, no surprise here, TriCare Prime doesn't cover the two doctors who I actually trusted to work on it. That's when I started this thread. We are switching our insurance from TriCare Prime to PacMed; which we can do where we are located. Ironically PacMed touts my wife's hospital as the place they will send their patients, "should they need a procedure done." I just have to wait a bit longer; but I believe in this case patience will be a very good thing.

Side note: To all you folks on TriCare who qualify for PacMed or alternative insurances its worth looking into. Maybe not to switch, but to at least check out. I was on the fence for about 3 years before I figured out that PacMed cares more for its clients. TriCare does NOT cover chiropractors, alternative healing, or massage therapy etc...PacMed does. Also PacMed covers eye prescriptions every year; TriCare is every two years.

Old Marine
02-08-11, 09:45 AM
I am on medicare with a secondary of Tri Care For Life. Tricare For Life picks up anything that medicare does not pay for. I am a regular at the doctors office and have been for many years and have not had to pay one red cent out of pocket.

Prescriptions through Tricare For Life are only $3.00 & $9.00. For my wife & I, it is a great deal.

Few years back I tore everything loose in my right knee. Had to have operation to put it back together and everything was taken care of by medicare & tricare for life.

Couple of years ago had my right carotid artery removed and completely cleaned out and the same deal applies. These things were done in a small hospital in Elko, Nevada.

Marine1955
02-11-11, 06:55 PM
This is good advice. Thank you! I do have the opportunity to get it done at the hospital that my wife works at. She was almost beside herself telling me about the advances they had there. But then, no surprise here, TriCare Prime doesn't cover the two doctors who I actually trusted to work on it. That's when I started this thread. We are switching our insurance from TriCare Prime to PacMed; which we can do where we are located. Ironically PacMed touts my wife's hospital as the place they will send their patients, "should they need a procedure done." I just have to wait a bit longer; but I believe in this case patience will be a very good thing.

Side note: To all you folks on TriCare who qualify for PacMed or alternative insurances its worth looking into. Maybe not to switch, but to at least check out. I was on the fence for about 3 years before I figured out that PacMed cares more for its clients. TriCare does NOT cover chiropractors, alternative healing, or massage therapy etc...PacMed does. Also PacMed covers eye prescriptions every year; TriCare is every two years.

does your wife have insurance or are you stuck with VA Plan if she has insurance go with that.

lonewolf121
02-11-11, 07:34 PM
Her insurance is our plan C and expensive. Plan A- Tricare Prime; Plan B- PacMed.

Beck
03-04-11, 02:06 PM
If you've got alternate insurance and really need it done go to a real doctor and a real hospital and get it done right. The VA is a bunch of worthless uncaring butchers.

Take their money, maybe get a lu shot there but don't ever let them operate on you, unless you want to wake up on the wrong side of the grass.
snip . . .

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. I would agree with you from my experience with the VA back in the 1970's.

I had surgery on both my knees (bi lateral release) as I had them smashed in a jeep accident in 1969 at Swamp Lagoon mainside. I was licensing NCO at 8th Marines Motor T.

Both knees got infected and it was a terrible experience in 1978 at the VA in Gainesville, Florida.

In 2008, I had a heart attack and used the VA facilities. I got better care at the VA than I ever did across the street at Shands Hospital at the University of Florida as an insured paying customer. The improvements are extraordinary. My doctor takes good care of me. I understand the bureaucracy can be daunting at times, but Gainvesville VA does a good job for me now. I'm not sure if this improvement is across the board at all VA hospitals or just this one.

Of course, we all want the very best in medical care.

Sorry for the late reply . . . just found this topic.

hawkins0811
04-02-11, 07:14 PM
I had an acl/meniscus reconstruction at the naval hospital Camp Pendleton. They did a great job with my knee, have had no problems since the surgery back in '01.