PDA

View Full Version : Marine's going green..fewer convoys = fewer ambushes = fewer casualties.

thewookie
01-15-11, 07:26 AM
Another example of how the Corps is leading the way.
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae359/thewookie_photos/marinesolar.jpg

Helmand Province in Afghanistan isn’t the most obvious proving ground for a green-energy project. But a Marine company that shipped out to war armed with solar panels says it cut down on its generators’ fuel consumption by nearly 90 percent. That might just get the rest of the military to note that you can battle insurgents and carbon footprints at the same time.

Pretty impressively, if a Marine press release is to be believed. One of the company’s squad leaders, Staff Sgt. David Doty, said that the energy generated by the solar panels has dropped his generators’ fuel consumption from 20 gallons a day to just 2.5 gallons. And the more gas the Marines save with solar power, the less they’ll have to truck in through convoys that insurgents shoot at and blow up.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01/afghanistans-green-marines-cut-fuel-use-by-90-percent/

Beside the fuel savings another good thing is generators break, a lot, in dusty conditions like Iraq/Afghanistan. The solar panels eliminate one more piece of equipment that can/will go tits up at the worst possible moment.

Semper Fi

advanced
01-15-11, 07:45 AM
Beside the fuel savings another good thing is generators break, a lot, in dusty conditions like Iraq/Afghanistan. The solar panels eliminate one more piece of equipment that can/will go tits up at the worst possible moment.

Semper Fi

You know, I've always been kinda fond of tits up.

SGT7477
01-15-11, 07:54 AM
We will always lead the way, Semper Fidelis.

Phantom Blooper
01-15-11, 08:01 AM
I've always been kinda fond of tits up.

Perky....

sparkie
01-15-11, 08:07 AM
I love a good thread 'adjustment'.

advanced
01-15-11, 08:09 AM
I love a good thread 'adjustment'.

Sparkie, I'm having a hard time understanding you. Is that a tits up or a tits down?

sparkie
01-15-11, 08:13 AM
I like em waving in the breeze.