PDA

View Full Version : Camp Pendleton training exercise accident leaves one Marine dead

Komenko
01-14-11, 06:20 PM
CAMP PENDLETON (CNS/KUSI) - A Marine Corps amphibious-assault vessel capsized and sank off the coast of Camp Pendleton today, prompting an urgent military- civilian rescue and recovery effort.
The accident just north of Oceanside Harbor was reported shortly before noon, USMC officials said. A crew of four reportedly was aboard the vessel at the time. The status of the involved Marines was unclear in the early afternoon.
Lifeguards and a dive team were among the civilian crews aiding military personnel in the emergency, according to Oceanside police.
Update:
A press briefing concerning the death of a Marine, during a training accident Friday, will be held near the Camp Pendleton Main Gate at 4 p.m.

The Marine was killed when the amphibious assault vehicle he was riding in became submerged under water in the Del Mar boat basin during a training exercise here Friday.

The incident occurred at approximately 11:30 a.m. Six Marines were in the vehicle during the incident. No injuries were reported among the five survivors.

http://www.kusi.com/story/13847331/camp-pend

I was down at Del Mar today when this happened. Was praying that they would get everybody out alive. Pray for this Marine's family tonight.

Devil1087
01-14-11, 07:28 PM
Word dude, I've always hated those things, they're deathtraps, literally moving broad sides of barns.

This sucks dude.

micarr57
01-14-11, 08:16 PM
catastrophic hydraulic failure of the plenum covers about the only way for that to happen in the basin bad deal

jumpinjack
01-14-11, 08:39 PM
Was out in one, doing war exercises off the coast of Delmar, we was running off a LST and deep sixing when we hit the water, a boot LT grunt jumped up all freaked out and tryed to pop the top hatch. I was in the co seat, upped down and tackled him to the deck. A full bird was on board, I looked at him scared and he gave me a thumbs up. That dude would have drowned all onboard. We assaulted the beach and dropped the ramp. I thought for sure my butt was fodder for jumping the LT.

Semper Fi

Swampfox
01-14-11, 09:01 PM
Aww Man, that sucks. Prayers outbound.

AlohaMarine
01-15-11, 01:38 AM
Is there a rank/name of the deceased?

I know quite a few crewmen...

Komenko
01-15-11, 03:04 AM
Is there a rank/name of the deceased?

I know quite a few crewmen...

You wouldn't know this Marine. It was a student at the school doing his first splash into the water! Plus the Corps isn't releasing his name.

WXSgt
01-15-11, 11:46 AM
You wouldn't know this Marine. It was a student at the school doing his first splash into the water! Plus the Corps isn't releasing his name.

It could have been the instructor onboard. my guess is that unfortunately it is as it is their responsibility to get the students out. if i am incorrect about an instructor onboard please let me know but yes this sucks my prayers are there for the family and all

foreverproud
01-15-11, 06:30 PM
Breaks my heart. My prayers are with his family and friends.

RIP Marine.

Quinbo
01-15-11, 11:36 PM
That is sad to hear.

I'm curious if it is possible to hit the wrong lever and lower the gate while the thing is swimming. Their bilge pumps are fast but not that fast.

micarr57
01-16-11, 09:24 AM
from what i understand is a sgt rice
didn't have tracks engaged and drove it down with the jets
sgt was the instructor
bad deal