PDA

View Full Version : Intel Contract

MrAskew
01-13-11, 01:31 AM
After taking the ASVAB and scoring high enough for an Intel job, I was ready to sign a Signal Intel 26xx contract, but my recruiter tells me all intel is on the same contract meaning 02xx is also a possibility. I don't want an 02xx because I was told that it's 99 percent desk work and no field work or active work in it, just a bunch of reading.. Is there anything that can swing my chances towards 26xx over 02xx? Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 01:44 AM
Whomever told you that is wrong. Search for 0231 here and see what they do. As far as the other....no. "Needs of the Corps".

Casedizzy2821
01-13-11, 02:23 AM
It all depends on where you are stationed. Plenty of intel guys in our unit work at a desk and make power point presentations all day for the higher ups. You probably won't be doing any high-speed Jason Bourne stuff. Sorry. Go MARSOC for that.

The Sergeant above me is correct. It's 02/26xx, and they pick your final MOS either in Boot Camp or when you check into school based on the needs of The Marine Corps

MrAskew
01-13-11, 05:45 AM
Whomever told you that is wrong. Search for 0231 here and see what they do. As far as the other....no. "Needs of the Corps".

So It's not a desk job? Ill look it up.

And theres nothing that will swing my chances towards field 26xx? What scores and stuff do they look for? Thanks

MrAskew
01-13-11, 06:04 AM
Sorry for the double post, but another question. If I pass the Dlab would that make me a Signal Intel Linguist or what? Just trying to get as much info as possible, thanks

SSgt Lamie
01-13-11, 07:01 AM
There is no PASS or FAIL for the DLAB. But the score that you receive will affect the chances of attaining certain jobs. Each specific MOS may have a minimum score that they require on both the ASVAB and DLAB. If you want to know for sure you can ask your Recruiter, or look up the Marine Corps MOS Manual and do a little research. It will answer most of your questions.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 05:17 PM
SSgt is dead on. 0231 'can' be a desk job...or not. There are several good postings from 0231's right here on the site. Read them, and learn.

MrAskew
01-13-11, 07:27 PM
Ok, the last question I have is.. What makes them choose a 26xx MOS for someone rather than a 02xx? Is it purely random? And say I did pass the DLAB, would that make me whatever MOS they already chose just a Linguist on top of that? Sorry if Im asking too much, I'll do the rest of the research thanks

Devil1087
01-14-11, 03:28 PM
DLAB determines if you get sent to learn a language, that'd fall under the 26XX field. If you fail it's not a big deal, you can still be a 26XX just not a linguist.