PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance I could recieve waivers [take 2]?

Cj1892
01-12-11, 10:49 PM
I used the search bar on this site and could not find questions really similar to mine. Also I asked this question before and didn't get responses because I had not filled out my profile, So I went and fixed that.[ Thanks to SoftballCatch23] Sorry for the inconvenience. Lets try again,

At a young age i was diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety. At age 13, My anxiety kind of took over my life, I was a young kid who was afraid of alot of things. So my parents and I decided it was best for me to go into a children's psychiatric unit so my doctor could evaluate me and regulate my medicine. I am now 18. My Anxiety is completely gone. I no longer have problems with it at all. Not that this matters to anybody, but I am an interior firefighter for my local volunteer fire department, Just an example that things have changed significantly for me in 5 years. Now i have spoken to a recruiter twice already, He said I need to be off all my medication for 1 year with doctors approval. Then after 1 year medication free, get clearance that being off my medication i was still able to function properly in my social, work and academic life. I am currently only on 1 medication for ADHD that was supposed to help me function in school. I have never had a history of anxiety/panic attacks, It was mainly just generalized anxiety as a young kid. I know all 3 of these are possible DQ's, But if I go to MEPS with all the proper documentation from my Doctor, Do i stand any chance of receiving waivers? My recruiter has never given me a sure answer about this even though i have asked him several times. I want to become a Marine so bad, But I realize with my past problems this could never happen. I am fully aware that Bootcamp and the military as a whole is very mentally demanding, So I don't want to hear that its a bad idea for me. I have put forth so much thought into this and I will never know if i can become a Marine unless I try. So basically I want to know If there is the slightest chance I could receive waivers and get through MEPS?
Thanks. Respectfully submitted-CJW:iwo:

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 01:42 AM
That's because basically, those decisions are made by doctors at MEPS and the recruiter can only give 'general' opinions based on what he's seen in the past.

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): What he told you is correct. Waivers, however, for something like this, unless you have STELLAR write ups from your docs, are going to be difficult to come by. Not impossible mind you....but VERY difficult.