PDA

View Full Version : Have a question about an age waiver

DallasGuy
01-12-11, 05:06 PM
Good afternoon Marines,

I am 31 years old and I have always wanted to be a Marine. I tried to enlist when I was 20, took the ASVAB, got a 96, went to MEPS for my medical test and took the oath. The problem at that time was that I didn't have a Green Card yet. I only had a Work Permit because when I turned 21 I become an adult to the INS and my process got delayed. My younger siblings got their Green Card right away and I just kept renewing my Work Permit every year.

I remember my recruiter at that time (SSgt. Raymond Valdez) pushing really hard for me to go to boot camp and it was suggested that I go to boot camp first and then go to my MOS school once I got the Green Card. I decided to wait until I got the Green Card and go to boot camp and then MOS school thinking I would get the Green Card in one or two years. Well, it took almost 10 more years to get my Green Card and here I am, wondering if not going to boot camp first back then and then wait costed me my dream to become a Marine. Keep in mind Marines, that was before 9/11 so I'm sure recruiting was different back then.

So my question is, I called two recruiters. One said no right away, the other said my chances of enlisting are less than 5%, that getting a tattoo or even a conviction waiver is easier than getting an age waiver, asked for my phone number and hasn't called back (that was two days before Thanksgiving). I appreciate both Marine recruiters time to talk to me and I understand they're busy trying to find the right candidates.

I'm clean with no drug history, no criminal record, in very good health and shape (workout 6x a week), have no dependents which means I will not be a burden to the Marines, have no medical history, no broken bones, no tattoos, no piercings...in other words I'm clean as purified water. It's my age that's keeping me joining the Marines. What do you Marines recommend me to do? Do I keep calling other recruiters until one accepts to have a meeting with me? Or should I go to my area's Marine recruiting headquarters and request an appointment with the commander? I am really serious about this, I know this what I want, I will NOT waste a Marine recruiter's precious time and I'm willing to do my polee duties until I go to boot camp (in case I have the privilege to enlist). I even talked to my employer and he said he would work with me in case I join the Marines. Do you Marines think I have a good case? It's not like I suddenly decided I wanted to be a Marine and waited until the last minute to join. It was not getting my Green Card that kept me from becoming one of the Few.

I apologize for the long post but I wanted to state the case of what happened and why at my "old" age I want to be a Marine. Thank you in advance to your responses Marines.

Sincerely,

Manuel Martinez

DrZ
01-12-11, 05:30 PM
Sorry Dallas but it looks like you are a few years too old. You can check with the recruiters but I think the cut off for active duty is 28 and reserve is 29. Currently the Marines still have a backlog of people who want to join and they are really not giving many waivers for ANYTHING. You can try but I don't believe your chances are going to be very high.

I found this online...

Active duty Army - 42
Army Reserves - 42
Army Natinal Guard - 42
Active duty Air Force - 27
Air Force Reserve - 34
Air National guard - 34
Active duty Navy - 34
Navy Reserves - 39
Active duty Marines - 28
Marine Corps Reserves - 29
Active duty Coast Guard - 27
Coast Guard Reserves - 27
So if you are still interested in serving in the military and the Marine recruiter tell you no due to age... you might want to check with one of the branches that do not have the same age limit.

Sorry and good luck

Sgt Leprechaun
01-12-11, 07:10 PM
No age waivers, sorry.

DallasGuy
01-13-11, 01:04 AM
Thank you Dr. Z and Sgt. Leprochaun for taking your time to answer my question. Tonight, I called the recruiter I spoke to before Thanksgiving. He remembered me and said he's been busy the last few weeks and said he would call me back in less than an hour. He called me in less than 20 minutes and said he talked to his boss (I don't think Marines use the word boss but I understand the Marine recruiter was talking to a civilian) and he wants to see me tomorrow before 3pm since the recruiting station is having polees do PT on Thursday afternoons around 5pm. He was very straight forward with me and he said in case his boss decides I can apply for an age waiver then the final decision would be taken by the chain of command. If the chain of command says no then it's a final decision. The Marine recruiter said not to get my hopes too high because getting an age waiver is almost impossible these days but said I have nothing to lose....that the worst thing that could happen is that they say no. He even joked saying why I didn't get the damn Green Card like five or six years ago when the Marines were more flexible on age waivers and other waivers as well but since the economy is bad the Corps are more selective because there's lots of guys wanting to join. He said the waiting time to ship to boot camp for Active Duty is almost a year and for Reserves is 3-5 months.

Anyway, I appreciate the Marine's honesty and I'll try not to get my hopes up but even if there's a 1% chance right now of joining, I'll still take the 1%. I'll give you Marines an update tomorrow night. He asked me to bring some PT gear just in case and get ready to run and do some pullups and situps. If I can't get the waiver, then I'll look at the Air Force first and then the Navy (thanks Dr. Z for the age info, much appreciated sir).

Thank you.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 01:27 AM
IF you get it...it'll be the first one I've ever personally heard of. Good luck..but don't get your hopes up.

Casedizzy2821
01-13-11, 02:19 AM
I knew a dude in comm school that enlisted when he was 31, this was in 2008, so it's possible.

Never hearing of an age waiver, or saying it's impossible is really far-fetched. It all depends on the needs of the USMC. If it were 3 years ago, you wouldn't have a problem. However, due to the reduction of the Marine Corps numbers, waivers would be hard to come by now, i.e. when they need people, they waive all kinds of things, when they have a line of poeple to join, they are more picky.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 02:39 AM
No, it's not 'far fetched', it's based on experience. Your 'dude' in comm school...did he have any prior service?

Age waivers are one of those things the Marine Corps hardly, if EVER, does for people without some sort of very, very, specialized skill. Even during tough recruiting times, they just don't grant them. Why? Because it's a young persons 'game', and too many 'older' people are prone to injury.

Nowadays, with numbers at an all time high, and the Corps looking to slash it's numbers, it's even less likely than it would have been in, say, 2005 or 2006. Even then, an age waiver was something that was unheard of. It was easier to enlist with a GED and 2 dependants than to get an age waiver. Heck, it's easier to get an RE code upgraded (one of those folks is a member on this board) than it is to get an age waiver. And those take years.

Casedizzy2821
01-13-11, 02:58 AM
No, it's not 'far fetched', it's based on experience. Your 'dude' in comm school...did he have any prior service?

Age waivers are one of those things the Marine Corps hardly, if EVER, does for people without some sort of very, very, specialized skill. Even during tough recruiting times, they just don't grant them. Why? Because it's a young persons 'game', and too many 'older' people are prone to injury.

Nowadays, with numbers at an all time high, and the Corps looking to slash it's numbers, it's even less likely than it would have been in, say, 2005 or 2006. Even then, an age waiver was something that was unheard of. It was easier to enlist with a GED and 2 dependants than to get an age waiver. Heck, it's easier to get an RE code upgraded (one of those folks is a member on this board) than it is to get an age waiver. And those take years.

Well, there's no point in arguing with you, we both have different experiences.

I joined when I was 27 and was about to turn 28 the next month. Although I didn't need an age waiver (27 was the max age), my recruiters said it wouldn't be a problem if I did. So I am speaking based on my recruiting process.

The 'dude' in comm school had an assoicsates in some type of electronics, but he didn't qualify to be a 2800 (where you would actually apply it). He was an 06xx, so I don't think his 2 year degree really mattered anyway.

I've also come across people I work with (who make fun of me for being 30) saying they had a 29 or 30 year old in their platoon in boot camp. So it is definately impossibe.

That said, we both say eye to eye with respect to the dwindling numbers in the USMC, which is really all that really matters in this case --needs of the Corps.

Also I take offense to old people getting injured and it's a young mans game. That's a bunch of crap. I know plenty of young brokedicks versus older ones. At 30, I can smoke a lot of 20 year olds that grew up on X-box and mountain dew.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-13-11, 03:22 AM
Good on ya. I also speak from experience, as I was a re-tread, 35 year old LCpl in 1997 when I re-enlisted....and ended up in Comm school. So we've chewed some of the same dirt.

I wasn't trying to get you fired up as far as the 'old people' comment...since I'm 'old' LOL...and BTDT, got the T shirt back in the day as the oldest LCpl/Cpl in my entire MEU. I could smoke some of the younger Marines too. *Then*. 10 years makes a big difference.

Regardless...stay low. Keep representin for us old guys :)

DallasGuy
01-15-11, 01:38 AM
Marines, here's an update:

I went yesterday afternoon to the recruiting station. I met with the Marine recruiter (a Sergeant) I spoke to before, had a two minute conversation with him and then he asked me to see his "boss" which was a Gunnery Sergeant. He was impressed I wore a suit and tie because according to him, all guys who go to his office to inquire about the Corps wear jeans or shorts. He asked me why I wanted to join the Marine Corps at such an "old" age and explained to him my situation. He said getting a tattoo or even a conviction waiver is easier than an age one but not impossible. He said not having a Green Card and not being able to enlist was out of my hands but still getting that age waiver would be almost impossible. Then, he asked me to wait outside. He spoke to my recruiter and five minutes later something very strange happened. Each recruiter (four of them were there) interviewed me one by one. They asked me the same questions like "why the Marines", "what do I bring to the table compared to an 18 year old", "what are your expectations of the Corps", "can you handle a 21 year old giving you orders", "why didn't you enlist when you were younger".

I told them the reason why I want to join the Marines is because I want to be part of the finest military branch in the world and that I bring stability and work/education experience to the Corps, something an 18 year old can't match. My job is to recruit teachers for master's degrees in education at a local university, so maybe in the future I could be a Marine recruiter and bring the best men and women to the Marine Corps. That I know this is something I want to do and not waste their time, at least I'm not some stupid kid who can't even wipe his ass and doesn't knows what to do with his life. Also, that I fully understand I'm joining the Marine Corps not the Boy Scouts and that I might get sent to a war zone to defend America....that I might get shipped to different locations depending on the Corps needs and that leisure and "fun" will be limited.

Then, they asked me if I had any PT gear since I was wearing my suit and tie. I said yes, that they were in my trunk. They asked me to change and get ready to run a mile and do some crunches and pull ups. I ran a mile in 11 minutes, did 90 crunches and 12 pull ups. Not bad but not good either, I think I could have done better since I go to the gym 6x a week. One recruiter said I did much better than most 18-22 year olds which I took as a compliment. I was adviced to do more cardio and lose some muscle since that might be a problem in case I go to boot camp.

With that said, the Gunnery Sergeant said if was up to him, he would start the enlistment process right away but he has to go to the Chain of Command (or something like that) for the waiver to be processed. He said whatever his boss decides, it will be a final decision with no appeals accepted. He said he will recommend me to his boss since he got a good impression on me and it was not really my fault I just got the Green Card (18 year wait) and that for that reason only, he believes I have a chance for the age waiver. In the meantime, he asked me to go at least twice a week to his office while the waiver is being processed to improve on my PT and that I should study for the ASVAB. He said if it comes to do a final PT for my waiver I have to do the following: 3 miles in 24 minutes, 100 crunches in 2 or 3 minutes (can't remember) and at least 5 pull ups. I did good on the last two but I need to practice more on the first one. He emphasized to not get my hopes too high. My recruiter asked me to get some paperwork ready (birth certificate, Green Card, SS Card, HS diploma, college transcript, family information) for next week, more than likely he'll take me to MEPS for the ASVAB and do an FBI background check. Even if my waiver gets rejected, he said I can use those ASVAB scores for the Army, Navy and Air Force in case I decide to enlist in any of those branches and those scores are good for two years. Finally, he said to get ready to go to boot camp ASAP (the Reserves are the only choice) in case my age waiver gets approved and the DEP would not apply to me in this case and that more than likely, I would have to go on an open contract. But emphasis was made on not getting my hopes too high. I appreciate their honesty.

A few minutes later, some polees in the DEP showed up for their Thursday night meeting and I left. One more thing, all the recruiters are close to my age (the youngest one is 28, the oldest one is 33.....I asked for their ages). I asked when they were interviewing me one by one if they would join the Marines now at their current age, their answer was NO which kinda surprised me.

Once again Marines, thanks for your time and responses. I hope one day I have the privilege to earn the title Marine. Thanks.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-17-11, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Please continue to keep us in the loop no matter WHAT happens, as your story will be 'proof positive' for us, as well as others. IF you can do it, then there is a window there. If not, then we'll know (for awhile) that there is no window.

Sounds like they (The recruiters) are willing to go the extra nine yards, they vetted you pretty well. Can't say I blame them. Good on 'em for doin that.

DallasGuy
01-25-11, 05:27 PM
Just a quick update:

I'm still waiting for the waiver. In the meantime, I have been running 3 miles a day and going to the recruiting office twice a week. Last Thursday, my recruiter invited me to his office for some PT with the polees. I beat them all (polees and recruiters) in pullups and crunches but they kicked my ass in the 1.5 mile run. They advised me to run 3 miles everyday either at once or 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 in the afternoon.

My recruiter called me yesterday and asked me to go to his office later. When I showed up, he said they ran the FBI background check and I'm clean....they couldn't even find a traffic ticket. The recruiters honestly told me they thought I was lying to them since a 31 year old civilian usually has some baggage and that it could make a good impression on the commander to grant the age waiver. They still emphasized in not getting my hopes to high though. He said they called my current and past employers, verified my college transcripts, called immigration just to make sure the Green Card I provided to them was legit and even the Social Security Administration Administration to make sure my name and number matches that of the SSA records. In other words, all the information and paperwork I provided to him last week was legit but in a way I get the feeling they were looking for even the smallest error that way they could get rid of me. I know it's their job but looks like the younger polees didn't go through that. If that's what it takes to become a Marine, I'll gladly accept it.

The recruiter said he will take me to MEPS later this week or early next week at the latest for the ASVAB and the physical exam. I asked him if the age waiver needed to be granted first and he said he checked with MEPS first and was told it was OK since I could use those scores and physical exam results to join another branch in case. He confided me that I was lucky he even gave me the time of the day because his priorities are 18-22 year old men even though the maximum age to join is 29. He said once somebody inquires about the Marines who's over 23, he simply tries to ignore them. I thanked him for giving me a chance but he looked like he was in a bad mood so I decided it was best for me to go. He called me today and apologized for "being and azz" (which I didn't think he was anyway, I respect him) but he said yesterday was a bad day for him because two guys he was supposed to take to MEPS stood him up and another one guy he was supposed to meet didn't answer the door when he went to his house even though he knew the guy was there. I really respect the recruiters, their job is really time consuming and stressful.

Then he gave me the good news: I'm going to MEPS tomorrow morning for the ASVAB. He said he will pick me up on Wed morning at my house and later that day he will take me to a hotel where I have to spend the night then go to MEPS again on Thursday morning for the medical exam. He thanked me for not wasting his time but he wished I was 3 years younger that way I didn't have to go through the age waiver process. He said if I get the age waiver the only job he has in the Reserves for me is 0151 (Administration) or an open contract. I notified my employer about taking all day Wed and Thurs morning off for personal time so I can't wait for tomorrow.

I'll keep you guys updated. Like Sgt. Leprechaun said, if my waiver gets approved it means there's a possibility for other guys in the future if not then it means for the time being no age waivers are granted, no exceptions. So hopefully my case will answer some questions for those over 28 who are considering the Marine Corps. Thank you Marines for your time and attention.

Lisa 23
01-25-11, 05:41 PM
Hope it all works out for you.....and do keep us in the loop on how everything goes.

Good luck!

devilbones2
01-26-11, 05:27 AM
Great job and good luck on earning the title.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-26-11, 05:45 PM
OUTstanding! Keep it up and keep us in the loop.

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 10:46 AM
Age waivers are easy as long as you can pass the PFT with a good score. Typically they want 225+ but 250+ is best.

The reason age waivers never get processed is because most people over the age of 29 can not meet the physical fitness requirement for the waiver. You sound like a good candidate. Good luck.

DallasGuy
01-27-11, 05:24 PM
Thank you Marines for your kind words.

My recruiter took me to MEPS yesterday to take the ASVAB. I got a 96, it's kinda strange since I remember when I took the ASVAB a decade ago I got the same exact score. My recruiter said it's a very high score and in other circumstances I would qualify for a high skilled MOS but since I'm not a U.S. citizen yet I am disqualified to apply for a MOS that requires a security clearance and even if I was a citizen, I would have to go to bootcamp ASAP for either 0151 or an open contract.

He took me to his office, reviewed some paperwork and took me home. He asked me to be ready by 7pm and bring a change of clothes and a picture ID, my Green Card and my SS card. He picked me up at my house before 7pm, took me to the hotel, checked in and left. Before he left, he told me he didn't have to worry about me drinking alcohol, bringing girls to my room or breaking curfew since I'm not some stupid 18 year old who's spending his first night away from his parents house, according to him, it's an issue that they deal with very often. He wished me luck and he left. I shared a room with a guy who's joining the Army, he just turned 19. Just like the recruiter said, this guy left around 9pm and I didn't hear back from him until 1am. I'm glad that guy will be the Army's problem and not the Marines.

I woke up at 3am, showered, got ready and we were at MEPS by 5am. The only thing I have to say is MEPS still looks the same after 10 years. I got my medical exam, I don't have to go into details, you Marines went through that. Blood, urine, vision, hearing, etc. Final result? I'm in very good health and no drug use record was found. Some Marines at MEPS called me the "old guy" and they warned me if I go to bootcamp to get ready to be called "pops", "grandpa", "old man", etc since I'll be older than every recruit and even some DI's. My recruiter picked me up, said the next step would be taking the oath and enlist but we have to wait for the age waiver to get granted first. If it happens, then I would take the oath and enlist then I might have to go back to MEPS for a final medical exam and get processed to go to boot camp. He explained that if the waiver takes less than 30 days, then a medical exam would be not necessary. He said if I get the waiver, to be ready to leave to San Diego ASAP. He gave me a ride home, changed and then went to work a few hours this afternoon.

What I am doing is getting everything ready in case I have to go to bootcamp in the next 1-3 months. I have enough money saved not to get any income for two years and my recruiter said between boot camp, the 10 day vacation after boot and my MOS school (in that case 0151) could take about 6 to 9 months altogether. My mortgage and bills get deducted from my checking account and I bought my car two years ago in cash so the only thing I have to do is find a family member or friend who can watch my house, furniture and car on a regular basis while I am gone. I know, I have to wait for the age waiver first and more than likely I won't get it but I would rather be safe than sorry. My boss said he will keep my job and not to worry. I am a Financial Advisor for a large company and when people ask me why I want to join the Marine Reserves I tell them it's not for the money or education benefits or even an easier path for U.S. citizenship since I can do those things on my own....it's about something else. A sense of belonging to the most elite branch of the military, a sense of pride and to fulfill my goal I made 10 years ago of one day to become a Marine.

I'll keep you Marines updated. Thanks for your time and attention.

Tennessee Top
02-01-11, 03:52 PM
I knew a dude in comm school that enlisted when he was 31, this was in 2008, so it's possible.

Never hearing of an age waiver, or saying it's impossible is really far-fetched. It all depends on the needs of the USMC. If it were 3 years ago, you wouldn't have a problem. However, due to the reduction of the Marine Corps numbers, waivers would be hard to come by now, i.e. when they need people, they waive all kinds of things, when they have a line of poeple to join, they are more picky.

Glad we never had "dudes" in the Corps when I was on active duty:flag:

DallasGuy
02-07-11, 10:36 PM
Hello Marines, here's an update:

My recruiter called me today and asked me if I could go to his office to do some PT with two polees (basically they needed help in pullups, I do really well in that area). Once the two polees were gone he gave me the news: the commander wants to see me on Thursday morning. He believes that's when the decision to grant or deny me the age waiver will be made. He warned me to get ready to do some PT in case the commander wants proof how physically ready I am to join the Marine Corps. He advised me to be ready for my waiver to be rejected which more than likely that's what is going to happen. I am wearing a suit and tie as a show of respect and I'll bring a backpack with a pair of shorts, shirt and sneakers. In the meantime, I've been working out and running and getting everything ready just in case.

I will let you know on Thursday what the Commander decided. Thanks for your time and attention Marines.

Tennessee Top
02-08-11, 11:58 AM

Since when did the CMC start accepting dudes in our Corps?

I thought all the dudes are back on the block with Jody!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-09-11, 09:11 PM
OUTstanding!!!! Let us know either way!!!

DallasGuy
02-13-11, 06:05 PM
Marines, here's an update:

I went to see the Commander on Thursday morning. I met my recruiter and the Gunnery Sergeant at the recruiting headquarters, I wore a suit and a tie and brought with me my documentation and a backpack with PT gear. The Commander wanted to see the GySgt first, then my recruiter and then me.

I met the Commander after he spoke with the GySgt and my recruiter separately, he asked me to wait until he asked me to sit. Two minutes later he asked me to sit in the chair. He asked me why I wanted to join the Marines at my age. I gave him the reasons why. Then he asked, why did it take so long to get your Green Card? I explained to him how after one turns 21, the process gets delayed. He then said your recruiter and his boss (the GySgt) have great things to say about you and that they believe you're more than qualified to become a Marine and bring a lot to the table. He then called the GySgt and asked me to leave. Two or three minutes later the GySgt left the office and my recruiter was asked to see the Commander. My recruiter went back to the recruiter station and only the GySgt and I stayed. Ten minutes later, two Marines in PT gear asked me to go to a room. They asked me to change my clothes, I told them I had my PT gear in my trunk but they said they already had some PT gear there that I could wear (it was green shorts and green shirt like those recruits wear in bootcamp). I was asked to do a minimum of 12 pullups, do 125 crunches and run 1.5 mile in less than 12 minutes. I did 20 pullups, 150 crunches and ran the 1.5. mile in 10:45 minutes. The two Marines (I honestly forgot their names, I was very nervous) were very nice and complimentary, one of them used to be a Drill Instructor and said if I go to bootcamp I will get hell from the DIs like the other recruits but in a way, they'll be "nice" to me since I would be in bootcamp by choice not because I didn't have a job or wanted to stay away from my parents or did not know what to do with my life like most young recruits. He said most recruits after the age of 26 get that "treatment". Still, he warned me to get ready for the worst and best 13 weeks of my life in case the Commander decided to give me the age waiver.

After that, the two Marines went to the Commander's office and left like 10 minutes later. Then the GySgt was asked to go to his office. Five minutes later the GySgt asked me to go see the Commander one more time. The only question he had was if I had my Green Card in my wallet. I replied yes. He then asked to see it. When he saw the Green Card and the issue date he said, "it was issued in 2010, then you have a good case since the Marines require either U.S. citizenship or legal residency and you did not have any until last year...so you were automatically disqualified until now" "One more thing, the two Marines who watched you during your PT were very impressed so I will give your age waiver a consideration". He wished me a good day and asked to tell the GySgt to see him one more time. Two minutes later the GySgt asked me to go to the recruiting station and meet my recruiter because the Commander decided to grant me the age waiver. I asked the GySgt if I could thank the Commander but he thought it was not a good idea, he simply said "I would leave it like that if I was you"

Once I made it to the recruiting station, every Marine there congratulated me and the GySgt said the Commander said the only reason why he granted me the waiver was because I got the Green Card last year and it was out of my hands not to enlist in the Marine Corps before the age of 29. Otherwise, he would not have given me the time of the day. I was so happy and excited I brought breakfast to everybody and after eating my recruiter asked me to go home or work or whatever I had to do and be back on Saturday and complete all the paperwork because Thursday night is kinda busy for them. He advised me to be ready to go to bootcamp in the next 2-4 weeks and take the final visit to MEPS next week for enlistment and the final medical exam. The GySgt said he will ask his Marines to ask one of their polees to give me their spot for bootcamp (he said there's like 6 or 7 that are supposed to go to San Diego by next month).

I went to the Marine recruiting office yesterday, filled the rest of the paperwork, will go to MEPS on Tuesday and more than likely I will go to bootcamp either by the end of this month or early next month since there's two polees who were supposed to go to boot camp next month that asked to get sent to get shipped at a later date (one got his girlfriend pregnant and the other wants to go together with his two friends in the summer). My recruiter said I'm not a polee and will not be one since my case it's a special one and I need to be out of bootcamp before my birthday this summer. I notified my employers (I do recruiting for a local university on a part-time basis but it's only like 10-20 hours a month) and my full time employer. I told my full time employer my last day at work would be on Feb. 28 or even sooner. My boss said he will keep my position until I get back from my MOS school and we even signed some paperwork to HR for my leave and my guaranteed spot once I get back. In the meantime, I will get everything ready, my parents and siblings will watch my house at least 4 or 5x a week and my finances (bills, mortgage, etc) are already taken care of. One thing my recruiter explained to me is I will get paid during boot camp (didn't know that) and that the money will be available once I graduate from bootcamp (it's not much, but it helps).

That's my story Marines, thanks for you time and attention and I will keep you updated until I go to boot camp. The age waiver was not easy, it's doable but very hard to get.

doc h fmf
02-13-11, 07:25 PM
Goodluck And Cogradulations.

Stephen Doc Hansen Fmf

Tennessee Top
02-13-11, 07:31 PM
Outstanding! Good work and congratulations!!

DrZ
02-13-11, 08:28 PM
Well DallasGuy, since I was the first one to respond to you on your question and I told you that I doubt anything would work out for you.... I wanted to respond one more time after reading your last update....OUTSTANDING!!!! I am very glad this is working out for you. I will continue following your posts. When you make it through boot and come back to let us know.... I look forward to welcoming you into the family of Marines.

Again, congratulations!

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-11, 07:17 PM
OUTFRAKINSTANDING!!!!!

This proves several things:

1: Age waivers for the most part are still NOT being granted, unless you have really, really, off the wall extenuating circumstances. This is NOT the norm.

2: Even if you HAVE those circumstances, you better be in GREAT shape, be motivated, present a professional appearance, and have your stuff 'ready to go' with no excuses.

Again...well done. You earned this. NOW....earn the title!!!!!

No doubt every Marine here would pile on with congrats. However, to keep the thread relevant, I'm going to close it. I would ask that you keep us updated and informed, and by all means, feel free to start a new thread to do that.