PDA

View Full Version : No improvement?

ricky54326
01-10-11, 01:10 AM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions.
I am 6'0(or 6'1.. closer to 6'1) and I weigh about 215. I just wanted to know how come I haven't been seeing any improvement? I have been working myself as hard as I can, doing upper some days, lower some days, core, etc, and cardio daily. I am working out twice a day, and have lost almost no weight, and seemingly gained no muscle. I usually run a mile, do some lifting/core, and then run another half mile to a mile depending on how tired I am. I am usually sweating quite a bit throughout the entire workout. Any ideas? Thanks much for the feedback!

josephd
01-10-11, 01:38 AM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions.
I am 6'0(or 6'1.. closer to 6'1) and I weigh about 215. I just wanted to know how come I haven't been seeing any improvement? I have been working myself as hard as I can, doing upper some days, lower some days, core, etc, and cardio daily. I am working out twice a day, and have lost almost no weight, and seemingly gained no muscle. I usually run a mile, do some lifting/core, and then run another half mile to a mile depending on how tired I am. I am usually sweating quite a bit throughout the entire workout. Any ideas? Thanks much for the feedback!

what kind of time frame are we talking here that you haven't seen an improvement?

to kind of answer the question at hand though....your either not pushing yourself hard enough and/or your calorie intake is greater that what your burning off.

make sure your diet is very clean, drink A LOT of water, easy on the carbs, no junk, no sugar.

based on what you posted about what your actually doing though, your workouts like they are pretty irregular and you are not running even close to enough. Running doesn't burn that many calories/fat so you have to run pretty far for it to do anything. Weight training is where you will see the most results. High reps and low weight.

GunRock0811
01-10-11, 01:51 AM
Try running more, a mile and a half to two miles isn't very much. You should work your way up to being able to run three miles without stopping and resting. Then start to work on bringing the time down. Just remember that three miles is a minimum. You'll be expected to run further during some P.T. sessions in the fleet. I don't know much about dropping weight though. I'm sure someone else here can help you.

SGT7477
01-10-11, 10:50 AM
What are you eating and drinking? Semper Fidelis

03Mike
01-10-11, 03:23 PM
I have been working myself as hard as I can, doing upper some days, lower some days, core, etc, and cardio daily. I am working out twice a day, and have lost almost no weight, and seemingly gained no muscle. I usually run a mile, do some lifting/core, and then run another half mile to a mile depending on how tired I am. I am usually sweating quite a bit throughout the entire workout. Any ideas? Thanks much for the feedback!

Ricky - you need to up the ante on your workouts. Lifting and core are fine, but your cardio - a mile and a half to two miles isn't going to cut it. Unless you are under a pretty severe diet, you're still probably taking in more calories than you are burning. Your workouts need to be a lot more intense and you need to time your runs, always pushing to improve on each one.

Here's a suggestion - keep your two a day workouts, six days a week (give yourself a single day of rest each week - it is important).

Work out #1
Stretch & warm up / jump rope for 10 minutes - get your lifting in, knock out a mile and a half run, shooting for 12 minutes or less.

Work out #2
Stretch & warm up - so some body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, dips, crunches, etc) - run six 440s with a 1 minute break in between each 440. Shoot to run each one under 70 seconds. Finish up with some stadium steps.

Do this for four of your six days of working out. The other two days, rotate in some cross-training - bike, swim, basketball, etc for one of your daily workouts.

Work your way up after a couple of weeks until your first run of the day is three miles and you're running 10-12 440s, the first six under 70 seconds and the rest under 90 seconds each.

ricky54326
01-10-11, 03:55 PM
I am drinking a **** ton of water, ONLY, I haven't touched a soda or anything in months. Also, I am eating fairly basic things.. and not a lot, either, just some pasta, breads, meat once in awhile, and a lot of sandwiches (meat, cheese). I need some variety to my diet but have no clue how to bring it, as I am not a super great chef and cannot afford a lot of ingredients. Any ideas on that?

josephd
01-10-11, 04:13 PM
I am drinking a **** ton of water, ONLY, I haven't touched a soda or anything in months. Also, I am eating fairly basic things.. and not a lot, either, just some pasta, breads, meat once in awhile, and a lot of sandwiches (meat, cheese). I need some variety to my diet but have no clue how to bring it, as I am not a super great chef and cannot afford a lot of ingredients. Any ideas on that?

cut out the bread IMO and stick to the pasta only, its gonna suck but also take out anything that gives flavor like butter, mayo, cheese, etc...eat chicken and fish to take in some protein which will help you build/repair muscle and help you burn calories in return.

SGT7477
01-10-11, 05:07 PM
Get rid of the bread and pasta, we had an old doc that would say if you want to lose weight stay away from everything white,lol,Semper Fidelis.:flag:

03Mike
01-10-11, 07:22 PM
Brothers, I don't think it's the diet as much as it is the "first week of first phase" workouts. A mile run, lifting, followed by a half mile to a mile -- the heart rate isn't getting up high enough for long enough

ricky54326
01-11-11, 12:40 AM
Pasta only sounds a bit bland, but if I only eat that, will that help? I'm not very picky when it comes to what I eat. I literally eat anything, and any quantity of it (be that good or bad sometimes). Anyways, I feel like if I just keep running a bit more, and a bit faster each time I work out, I will get in shape much more quickly, and that theory has helped me out so far. Thanks everyone, Semper Fidelis.

Marine3451
01-12-11, 12:52 PM
Look up the paleo zone diet and crossfit

ricky54326
01-13-11, 03:34 PM
I've lost about 30lbs in the last 2-3 months, but lately i've been at a roadblock, even though my workouts have gotten progressively more intense. No clue what's going on, I'm trying to push myself as hard as I possibly can. Also, my status needs to be changed to "Marine Friend" for now, as I am not in the DEP. I misread the description thinking it was for people who are GOING to join, seeing as I am not actually in the DEP. I am still waiting on a Waiver to get in.

Marine3451
01-13-11, 07:57 PM
I refer you back to my previous post. Google paleo diet and one of the first results is a list of what you should and should not eat. You tube the women of crossfit and see what some of these women can do that should motavate you. Could you tell us what you mean by insrasing intensity because honestly if you don't puke or at least dry heave you didn't work it as intense as you could have. I know from experiance I used to be fat before I joined. Now I do cross fit 5 days on and 2 off and its addicting. Best advice I can give you stop making excuses on and cowboy up. Marines make things happen

ricky54326
01-13-11, 07:59 PM
I do feel like I'm going to puke most of the time after my workouts, lol.

Marine3451
01-13-11, 08:09 PM
For your next workout try this . Run 1 mile do a 100 pullups 200 pushups and 300 airsquats and then run another mile for time. You can break up the pullups pushups and squats any way you need to. Catch is you can rest for more than 30 seconds at any time until you finish the last mile.bwe call this workout murph

Marine3451
01-13-11, 08:10 PM
For your next workout try this . Run 1 mile do a 100 pullups 200 pushups and 300 airsquats and then run another mile for time. You can break up the pullups pushups and squats any way you need to. Catch is you can not rest for more than 30 seconds at any time until you finish the last mile.bwe call this workout murph