PDA

View Full Version : DOD medical sep

lmholmes11
01-09-11, 11:07 AM
I am currently in the reserves and I just had my medical board for my TBI and PtSD conditions. If I get medical sepparation can I receive my disability lump sum money and receive my va compensation at the same time? Or will my va comp stop payments until the lump sum money is "paid back"? Thank you.

TMM54
01-09-11, 11:32 AM
I had to "pay back" my disability payment - the VA withholds your monthly disability pay until the amount is paid back - that is what happened in my case. Every case may have differences. Hope you don't have to pay anything back - you deserve more. Semper Fi, Tom

sgt tony
01-09-11, 12:12 PM
If you get a lump sum you will have to pay it back before you will receive a VA check.

etihwr
01-10-11, 05:30 AM
I used to work at WRAMC for the Army Wounded Warrior Program and I am a former VSO (for the State of Virginia). If you did not serve in combat, you have to pay it back. If you served in combat you are exempt from paying it back.

On another note, EVERYONE and I mean everyone does their DVA exams wrong. The DVA is a civilian agency. When you do your exam, you have to remember to be a crybaby civilian. Your not a Marine/Special Forces/etc when you take the exam. You need to learn the way the DVA does their exams, just like you learned the rules of basketball or football. Also, if you hear you can't work if you get 100%, you listened to a latrine lawyer who doesn't know what they are talking about. Don't be afraid of getting the max. If anyone wishes to contact me, please write to etihwr2@gmail.com and I'll help you out with your DVA claim.:thumbup:

lmholmes11
01-24-11, 04:25 PM
I used to work at WRAMC for the Army Wounded Warrior Program and I am a former VSO (for the State of Virginia). If you did not serve in combat, you have to pay it back. If you served in combat you are exempt from paying it back.

Ok thank you all for your responces. I have not heard of the combat exempt deal before. Is that just in the army? Or is it DOD wide?

lmholmes11
01-24-11, 04:38 PM
I found the following article on the DFAS website:

"Previously, disability severance pay was always deducted from any compensation administered by the VA for the same disability to which the former member or dependents became entitled (except for death compensation to which dependents become entitled after the member's death). Now, no deduction will be made in the case of disability severance pay received by a member for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations. As was done previously, no deduction is made from any death compensation to which a member's dependents become entitled after the member's death."

Is this really true? The link is below

http://www.dfas.mil/mil-news/june2008/disabilityseverancepay.html

etihwr
01-24-11, 06:02 PM
This is a VA/DoD program. You don't have to pay back your lump sum payout if your rating comes from COMBAT. If the disability is for anything else, you have to pay it back.