PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with IA Billets

BGW
01-09-11, 03:29 AM
In my Marine Corps career I would like to have at least one combat deployment and I would like to finish my Marine Corps career with MSG duty. The unit I am currently in will not be going to Afghanistan any time soon so I talked to my SNCOIC about this and he told me that the only thing I can do is just re-enlist another four years, complete my three years of MSG and when I go back to the fleet get into a unit that would deploy to Afghanistan for the last part of my enlistment. <O:p</O:p

I searched through the forums about this and found one thread but no one provided any information so I am here to try and see if anyone can provide me with information. I am currently in Okinawa and apparently not that many units from Oki goes to Afghanistan, this is quite unfortunate. You know I never even met someone who went on an IA billet. Does this damn thing even exist?

I do look forward to the responses, thanks.

thewookie
01-09-11, 07:47 AM
What is an IA billet? And your story or explanation of what you want to do seems fuzzy.

stretchusa
01-09-11, 09:21 AM
What is an IA billet? And your story or explanation of what you want to do seems fuzzy.
IA=individual augmentation, basically it is supposed to be a way for Marines stuck in a non-deployable unit to deploy if they want to. Not quite sure how it all works.

Wood5831
01-09-11, 10:04 AM
OP- are you on Active Duty or Reserves? I ask this is because your occupation is listed as a college student.

If you are a Reservist, MSG is out of the question unless you augment to active duty and become a full timer.

thewookie
01-09-11, 10:08 AM
IA=individual augmentation, basically it is supposed to be a way for Marines stuck in a non-deployable unit to deploy if they want to. Not quite sure how it all works.

Got it, thanks.

josephd
01-09-11, 07:31 PM
Yes they do exist but not sure how they work if you are active duty. I know as a reservist, we can call up to MARFORRES HQ and request a listing of anything available. Apply for them from there and get a release from your unit.

HOWARDROARK3043
01-09-11, 10:02 PM
you are on futema? so you are airwing? I find that Marines that work the hardest in every aspect of the Marine Corps and life get all the perks,,,,,,,,,it hard to find a crappy Marine at some advanced school or on a good assignment,,,,, put in the time,,, know your job and everybody elses job,,, network with snco's,,, dont be the Lcpl hanging in the barracks,,, get out and teach drill run a 300 pft ---volunteer....... all those things are what put you ahead of the class and Magically good things happen,.. but what do I know

BGW
01-10-11, 03:31 AM
I apologize about the confusion, yes I am active. I updated my profile now. As for what I want to do being a little fuzzy allow me to try again. I am currently stationed in Okinawa, my unit will not be making any combat deployments any time soon. Now I would like to go on a combat deployment and then once I am done with that go to MSG duty and finish my glorious Marine career as such.

I PCS in about a year or so, in order to make my MSG duty happen I would have to try to get on a combat deployment before I PCS. If this how ever fails and I end up having to PCS back to the states I would have to wait another 12 months on station until I can put a package in for MSG. That would be a long time and time isnt something I want to waist.

I suppose the only real thing I can do is what HOWARDROARK3043 suggested and cross my fingers.

Beltayn
01-10-11, 06:05 AM
Talk to your chain of command. Keep going up your chain of command until you get to someone who knows how IA billets get assigned and can put your name on whatever list you need to get on.

HOWARDROARK3043
01-10-11, 09:45 AM
if you only have 1 year left on okinawa,,, it is pretty tough to get a ia billet,,,, ---if anything you can see if esb is leaving or one of the clb's---- but you have to think every Marine wants to deploy so you have to get in line..............you are not the only Marine in Oki that wants to go to Camp Leatherjeune