PDA

View Full Version : Traveling in the Marine Corps?

Tj3119
01-09-11, 02:32 AM
I was wondering how much traveling Marines can except during their 4 years in the Corps. I have an 03 contract, infantry by the way. I'm hoping to get stationed some where in California, but you never know I guess. I would like to travel to Tokyo, Australia, some countries in Europe, and maybe some countries in the Mediterranean. I know I can't say I want to go here or there and go, and most likely I'll be making a few stops in Afghanistan since I have an 03 MOS. If I did get stationed in California, would I basically stay their for my 4 years besides deployments? or would their be a chance to go to other countries for some reason. I tried to search around but its kind of hard to find a straight answer for a specific MOS. I mean I know seeing the world is the whole Navy thing, but just kind of wondering what could I except.

Thanks in advance.

BGW
01-09-11, 03:08 AM
Hard to say, not every one gets to travel to those places. If you get stationed in Okinawa you have a higher chance to go to some other Asian countries. Some infantry units do come out from California for six months in Okinawa to go on the 31 MEU. Also you might get lucky and get on a MEU float in the west coast side. I heard they visit alot of other countries but that I am not so sure. You shouldnt get your hopes to high though. You would be lucky to get some chances to visit some other countries.

You also have MSG as another possibility.

SGT7477
01-09-11, 07:31 AM
My time in our beloved Corps was 3 years as a 0811 with 3 different duty stations, 4 with bootcamp,lol,Semper Fidelis.

advanced
01-10-11, 07:56 AM
I was wondering how much traveling Marines can except during their 4 years in the Corps. I have an 03 contract, infantry by the way. I'm hoping to get stationed some where in California, but you never know I guess. I would like to travel to Tokyo, Australia, some countries in Europe, and maybe some countries in the Mediterranean. I know I can't say I want to go here or there and go, and most likely I'll be making a few stops in Afghanistan since I have an 03 MOS. If I did get stationed in California, would I basically stay their for my 4 years besides deployments? or would their be a chance to go to other countries for some reason. I tried to search around but its kind of hard to find a straight answer for a specific MOS. I mean I know seeing the world is the whole Navy thing, but just kind of wondering what could I except.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for explaining to us that an 03 contract is infantry. I had no idea. By the way, what's your MOS again?

elliscraig12
01-10-11, 08:27 AM
You won't get a straight answer. It depends on what unit you're going to. As for some of those counties you want to go to, your best bet is to just go there yourself.

Lisa 23
01-10-11, 11:12 AM
You want to travel to a lot of places while being in the military, I suggest you join the Navy.

Marine3451
01-12-11, 12:36 PM
Hmm where does infantry travel to.......Afganastan and Afganastan

03Mike
01-12-11, 03:55 PM
Hmm where does infantry travel to.......

Nowhere nice...

advanced
01-12-11, 05:00 PM
Ever been in a hurricane? Imagine camping out in one for a week or so, with no tent, with people in the woods attempting to shoot you. Emersion foot, malaria, leaches etc. At least the mosquitoes weren't bad.

Hamelink83
01-17-11, 05:50 PM
Hmm where does infantry travel to.......Afganastan and Afganastan

it's Afghanistan tard

As for travel out of Cali, if you get on a MEU, you'll probably hit up Australia if your with 1DIV. Not sure where else they're MEU's run. If your with 3DIV you could get sent over to Oki to roll around with the 31st MEU. You'll hit the countries on the asian/pacific border. As far Tokyo, you'll have a chance to if you get onto the 31st MEU as the MAGTF element will go up to Fuji Viper to train. It's only 2 hours from Fuji to Tokyo. If your stationed on a Pacific duty station, you'll never see Europe unless you go there on your own.

Quinbo
01-17-11, 10:26 PM
When I was in the 31st MEU we went to okinawa, guam, saipan, tinian, hong kong, singapore(part of the MEU went to Malaysia instead of Singapore), korea, and Australia. We then returned to Okinawa and from there went home to camp pendleton. When I was with 3rd Marines we went to Okinawa, Korea, Camp Fuji, and Diego Garcia, we also did a refueling stop at midway and spent about 5 hours there so I guess that counts too. My second deployment with 3rd Marines we went to Okinawa, Korea, Philipenes, and Camp fuji. My third deployment we went to Saudi Arabia and Kuaite. My 4th deployment we went to Okinawa and Camp Fuji. My 5th deployment was with the 31st MEU.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-18-11, 01:48 AM
Hmmmm.....lets see...travel....

Parris Island, Camp Lejuene, Washington DC, Annapolis Md, Fort Benning GA, Norfolk Va, Beaufort SC, Hawaii, Wake Island, Iwakuni Japan, Kadena Okinawa, Subic Bay, PI, Alaska, Oceana Va, 29 Palms CA, Cherry Point NC, Hawaii, Wake Island, Iwakuni Japan, Yechon Korea, Subic Bay PI, Osan Korea, Hawaii, back to Beaufort, Bogue Field NC....

Med float was Albania, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugual, Turkey, Isreal, Kosovo etc etc.

Travel? Yeah.

Quinbo
01-18-11, 03:01 AM
Something discussed elsewhere .... if you get sent to PTA or Norway or panama or 29 palms or BFE for a training exercise.... that is not a deployment but you just might find yourself there for training. Speaking of which ... my route to work passes by a dozen different ranges and even though today is a national holiday (Lee / Grant or MLK depending on which side of the mason dixon line you are from) ... I saw soldiers out training in the rain sleet ice. Maybe they were regulars or maybe they were reservists but in the end if it aint raining we aint training. God Bless the lads for all the hard work they do!

Marine3451
01-18-11, 08:25 AM
it's Afghanistan tard

As for travel out of Cali, if you get on a MEU, you'll probably hit up Australia if your with 1DIV. Not sure where else they're MEU's run. If your with 3DIV you could get sent over to Oki to roll around with the 31st MEU. You'll hit the countries on the asian/pacific border. As far Tokyo, you'll have a chance to if you get onto the 31st MEU as the MAGTF element will go up to Fuji Viper to train. It's only 2 hours from Fuji to Tokyo. If your stationed on a Pacific duty station, you'll never see Europe unless you go there on your own.

Thanks I really needed a spelling lesson. Now go review your 14 leadership principals

Devil1087
01-18-11, 10:03 AM
Thanks I really needed a spelling lesson. Now go review your 14 leadership principals

boom roasted

Quinbo
01-18-11, 01:06 PM
When we were in Austrailia .... the first week we did an amphibious assault and spent a week in the field while the ships cut gator squares. We returned to the ship and manned the rails to pull into port. All along the port there were hot chicks holding signs that said "I love you US Marine". For the next 7 days we had a formation on the flight deck with mandatory PT then libbo. Every morning at 1000 we would fall out and form it up. Our company commader would say your first exercise of the day will be Marine Corps push ups; we will do one of them. Ready exercise.... recover. Platoon commanders sound liberty. It was awesome!

Hamelink83
01-18-11, 02:05 PM

Yeahh....that one that starts with a T eludes me.