PDA

View Full Version : When do I tell my boss i joined

crodgers4101
01-08-11, 09:21 PM
I have bin working at my job for about 4 years and i just joined the USMC. When should I tell him. I need this job till about a week or two before i leave. Any suggestions. Thanks Marines!!

DanM
01-08-11, 09:34 PM
If you think you are man enough to join the Marine Corps,you should be able to figure it out yourself and give notice without screwing your employer.

Lisa 23
01-08-11, 09:35 PM
I have bin (been) working at my job for about 4 years and i just joined the USMC. When should I tell him. I need this job till about a week or two before i leave. Any suggestions. Thanks Marines!!

When do you go to MCRD?

DrZ
01-08-11, 10:13 PM
Go to your boss and tell him you have enlisted. Also tell him that you really need to continue working for him until you leave. Explain to him why you need to work until you leave. Employers today care quite a bit more about the military then they were back in the 60s.

Man up and talk to your boss.

Congratulations on your decision to enlist.

SGT7477
01-08-11, 10:21 PM
Man up and Get-r-Done, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-11, 11:56 PM
He doesn't have a ship date yet as he still needs to pass/get through MEPS, get waivers for other issues, etc.

Don't tell him ANYthing yet as at this point it could do more harm than good, as you aren't enlisted, don't have a ship date, and have no assurance you'll get them.

cowstep2
01-09-11, 07:52 AM
Try the English lanuage; it has lots of nice words that will convey the mesage.

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 08:05 AM
Thanks all I will have my ship date before I go back to work on we. I have a meeting with person that would approve my waiver before I go to meps on Tuesday.

sparkie
01-09-11, 08:16 AM
It would be nice if you gave your customary 2 week notice. If you want to chance extra grief, brag about it as soon as possible. Make him start worring about your replacement longer than necessary.

Phantom Blooper
01-09-11, 08:20 AM
You just walk right in.....sit on down.....and tell him......and then work the best you ever worked so there is no reason to let you go before you ship.

First worry about becoming a poolee first and getting a ship date.

Once you get a shipdate...give them the courtesy of giving at least a two week notice.

If you become a Marine and only do one hitch you might need to go back to them until you get established back in the civilian world....don't burn your bridges.....but foremost don't count your chickens before they hatch....make sure you are qualified at MEPS and you will ship when you say you will ship.

advanced
01-09-11, 08:24 AM
It would be nice if you gave your customary 2 week notice. If you want to chance extra grief, brag about it as soon as possible. Make him start worring about your replacement longer than necessary.

As sparkie said; 2 weeks notice and understand that once you give your notice no employer is bound to keep you on till the end of that period. He could let you go immediately.

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 08:26 AM
So can they change my ship date after I go to meps and pick my mos feild with my recruter

Lisa 23
01-09-11, 08:28 AM
So can they change my ship date after I go to meps and pick my mos feild with my recruter

How can your recruiter change your ship date when you don't even have one, which also means you're not no poolee yet, either.

Lisa 23
01-09-11, 08:29 AM
He doesn't have a ship date yet as he still needs to pass/get through MEPS, get waivers for other issues, etc.

Don't tell him ANYthing yet as at this point it could do more harm than good, as you aren't enlisted, don't have a ship date, and have no assurance you'll get them.

:thumbup:

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 08:35 AM
How will it do more bad then good. There is nouthing holding me back everything is in order. I will get my ship date on Tuesday so how can me asking if a ship date can be changed a bad thing I just want to be prepaired. I would leave from meps if there was a plain ticket for me.

wildwoman73
01-09-11, 08:44 AM
How will it do more bad then good. There is nouthing holding me back everything is in order. I will get my ship date on Tuesday so how can me asking if a ship date can be changed a bad thing I just want to be prepaired. I would leave from meps if there was a plain ticket for me.

That's why you should man up now. Just as you want to be prepared...they need to be prepared too. Being honest doesn't always produce the most favorable results...but burning bridges produces results you can not reverse.

Good luck!!

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 08:48 AM
That's why you should man up now. Just as you want to be prepared...they need to be prepared too. Being honest doesn't always produce the most favorable results...but burning bridges produces results you can not reverse.

Good luck!!

So far that is the best advice I have gotten thank you:thumbup:

Quinbo
01-09-11, 08:50 AM
Sounds like you are excited to go. Good on ya. I see no harm in telling your employer that you joined. Be advised there a poolees now days with a ship date a year out. Be the best dam whatever it is you do from now until you ship. If you are a good employee then ask for a letter of reccomendation. If you are just a number punching the clock then save that info till 2 weeks before your ship date. Last but not least... If you bomb out then that bridge won't be burnt and you could ask for the job back.

wildwoman73
01-09-11, 09:02 AM
Remember also, ship dates aren't set in stone. I signed and took the oath in August 93 and my ship date wasn't until Feb 94. On Sept 20-something...I got a call from my recruiter that a girl chickened out and they had a spot to fill. "Are you ready?"....I shipped Oct 3rd. "Hurry up and wait" often can be in reverse. Just be ready for anything.

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 09:40 AM
cool i was talking to my recruiter and he said that it is possible to go in April if this kid doesn't make weight. I just want to get to PI so i can get through boot and become a proud Marine. There is no way I will give up this is a lifetime dream that I am going to fulfill.

SGT7477
01-09-11, 10:46 AM
How can your recruiter change your ship date when you don't even have one, which also means you're not no poolee yet, either.
LOL, Semper Fidelis.:flag:

SGT7477
01-09-11, 10:48 AM
So far that is the best advice I have gotten thank you:thumbup:
Now for that advice get on your face and give us all 50, Semper Fidelis.:evilgrin:

Lisa 23
01-09-11, 10:54 AM
Have you even taken the ASVAB yet?

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 11:12 AM
yes i got a 76% all my scores are over 115. Sir yes sir I am on it Sgt7477

wildwoman73
01-09-11, 11:18 AM

YOU MISSED ONE!!!! Start again now! 1-2-3-ONE!!! (heeheehee)

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 11:20 AM
What did i miss?

wildwoman73
01-09-11, 12:00 PM
....nothing...execpt your first lesson. Right or wrong, push. Good, bad, or indifferent....push. For every action, there is a reaction...and it's usually what? You're right! Push!!!

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 12:09 PM
Hell Yea

sparkie
01-09-11, 07:35 PM

You are talking to a woman,,,,,, No, not the Sgt. Fail.........:beer:

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 07:52 PM
You are talking to a woman,,,,,, No, not the Sgt. Fail.........:beer:

I was answering two posts. The second sentence was directed to Sgt7477 read before you comment.

sparkie
01-09-11, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry,,,, correcting me? OK, Fine. I still think your posts are all ego. But that's just me. Next time you need to correct a Marine,,,, Pick someone else. I can read, Dipstick.

Lisa 23
01-09-11, 08:09 PM
I was answering two posts. The second sentence was directed to Sgt7477 read before you comment.

You want to correct another poolee or a wannabe, good for you...but you correcting a Marine, a very, very bad idea. No excuses.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-11, 08:55 PM

Read OUR rules and fix yourself. Or I will fix you, for you. Understand?

crodgers4101
01-09-11, 09:04 PM
Rodger that

SSgt Lamie
01-12-11, 11:11 AM
Once you enlist take a copy of your contract that shows your MCRD ship date to your boss and explain to your boss about your decision to join the Marine Corps. Be professional about it and explain to him that you are giving him the advance warning so he may be able to find a suitable replacement for you.

If you have this type of approach with your employer they will think very highly of you and not just kick you to the curb. However if you try to keep your enlistment a secret and your boss finds out by other means his reaction could be far worse.

crodgers4101
01-12-11, 04:16 PM
thank you sir