PDA

View Full Version : Waiver Question

ricky54326
01-08-11, 02:40 AM
Hello Marines. I am looking to enlist, and unfortunately, I got turned down for a waiver at the BUMED level for ODD. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago, and I never took any medication for it. My recruiter told me that if I go see a psychiatrist for a re-evaluation, that they could probably re-try me for a waiver, and most likely I would get it. Does anyone have any input on this? Any similar situations? I just need some hope that this will all go through, I have been working out twice a day and lost about 40lbs in the last 5-6 months. I am almost at the weight to be able to ship. Also, I got a 90 on the ASVAB, so I think that they should be able to see that I have changed.

Thanks!:usmc:

Zulu 36
01-08-11, 03:13 PM
Hello Marines. I am looking to enlist, and unfortunately, I got turned down for a waiver at the BUMED level for ODD. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago, and I never took any medication for it. My recruiter told me that if I go see a psychiatrist for a re-evaluation, that they could probably re-try me for a waiver, and most likely I would get it. Does anyone have any input on this? Any similar situations? I just need some hope that this will all go through, I have been working out twice a day and lost about 40lbs in the last 5-6 months. I am almost at the weight to be able to ship. Also, I got a 90 on the ASVAB, so I think that they should be able to see that I have changed.

Thanks!:usmc:

It seems to me that if you want in, and the recruiter is willing to do the waiver paperwork, go see the civilian shrink and get what you need. Evidently the recruiter likes your determination and is willing to help you out.

Do you mean ADD? I think that is a grossly over-diagnosed condition anyway, but I'm not MEPS.

Marine3451
01-08-11, 04:51 PM
There are literaly millions of posts about waivers on here and all come to the same conclusion. The Marine corps is hitting its recruiting goals and still has a line out the door so not many waivers get approved. Now if this was 2007 it would have been easy to get a waiver they gave me one within 24 hour but times have changed if all else fails wait a few years when the economy gets better then recruting will be tough again.

ricky54326
01-08-11, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reply everybody. And I did mean ODD, which is a defiance disorder (my parents are extremely abusive, and I tried defending myself at that age and it didn't work... works now though) and so they thought I was crazy I guess. I'm fine now, I just need a re-eval and that will be cleared up. I hope to join, as it's been my dream since I was a child, and I've changed my lifestyle dramatically in order to get into the shape that I want to get in.

doc h fmf
01-08-11, 06:41 PM
Ricky Unfortunatly You Probably Wont Be Able To Join Unfortunatley. Being A Former Corpman <usually What Bumed Says Goes They Are The People Who Have The Final Say On Medical Issues.

I Wish You The Best Of Luck In What You Do,

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

ricky54326
01-08-11, 07:23 PM
Ricky Unfortunatly You Probably Wont Be Able To Join Unfortunatley. Being A Former Corpman <usually What Bumed Says Goes They Are The People Who Have The Final Say On Medical Issues.

I Wish You The Best Of Luck In What You Do,

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

BUMED told me/my recruiter on paper that if I get new medical evidence that I can re-apply for a waiver and the chances would be significantly increased. The only reason I got turned down is because I have never had any proof saying that I DON'T still have that problem.