PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Team with only 23 members?

diskman
01-07-11, 01:28 PM
A guy I know is saying that he was apart of a Special Forces team with only 23 members. He said they were a division of Special Forces. I'm suspicious because I've never heard of this and can't find anything on it. Anyone ever heard of this or is he blowing smoke?

Thank you all for your service.

thewookie
01-07-11, 01:43 PM
How about asking Army questions in an Army forum?

AAV Crewchief
01-07-11, 01:45 PM
A guy I know is saying that he was apart of a Special Forces team with only 23 members. He said they were a division of Special Forces. I'm suspicious because I've never heard of this and can't find anything on it. Anyone ever heard of this or is he blowing smoke?

Thank you all for your service.

Ya never know....how many do you think there should be? 5000? 50000?

SGT7477
01-07-11, 02:10 PM
Another question on the army of none,lol, Semper Fidelis.

diskman
01-07-11, 03:02 PM
How about asking Army questions in an Army forum?

Another question on the army of none,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Nope - I'm in the right place - he was a Marine - said he was SF under MARSOC. He uses the term Special Forces (dog tags state as such as well) not special operations.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/default.aspx

thewookie
01-07-11, 03:16 PM
Nope - I'm in the right place - he was a Marine - said he was SF under MARSOC. He uses the term Special Forces (dog tags state as such as well) not special operations.

http://www.marines.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/default.aspx

How do you know he was a Marine?

Dog tags don't mention anything having to do with unit/MOS.

Send him here,,,,

diskman
01-07-11, 03:18 PM
How do you know he was a Marine?

Dog tags don't mention anything having to do with unit/MOS.

Send him here,,,,

Saw the grad pics from boot camp, he has the uniform, immediate family are Marines as well. Boot at Parris and stationed at Pendleton. Dog Tags just say SF on the 4th row.

thewookie
01-07-11, 03:19 PM
Dog Tags just say SF on the 4th row

Bull Sheet, they are fake. Anyone with two dollars can make dog tags at a military surplus store.

You need to fill out your profile, too.

diskman
01-07-11, 03:22 PM
...but tags are supposed to have name, ssn, religion and blood type, right?

diskman
01-07-11, 03:25 PM
Bull Sheet, they are fake. Anyone with two dollars can make dog tags at a military surplus store.

You need to fill out your profile, too.

Well, that's what I thought as well. Lies, lies, lies. Thanks

SGT7477
01-07-11, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a fake, Semper Fidelis.

rufus1
01-07-11, 04:30 PM
gas mask size

Zulu 36
01-07-11, 05:02 PM
FYI, the standard ARMY Special Forces unit is a 12-man Operational Detachment Alpha (aka: an Alpha Team or an ODA). These are the Green Beanies, not Delta, or Rangers. Sometimes ODAs are grouped together for specific operations, although ODAs are designed to be self-sufficient. An SF Company has six ODAs.

However, ODAs can break themselves down into two six-man units if necessary because of their built-in redundancy of skills.

My understanding is that MARSOC is adopting much of the Green Beret organizational layout and operational methods. Don't reinvent the wheel I guess. The Green Beanie method has worked well for many years.

thewookie
01-07-11, 05:08 PM
gas mask size

small face :banana:

Johndo
01-07-11, 08:05 PM
Where at Pendleton is he stationed? We might look him up on MOL and let you know what unit he is with for real. Please send name and I will look it up. Private message me.

albdagger11
01-07-11, 10:21 PM
Blowing smoke---7-11 was SOP in 68-69-70

Sgt Leprechaun
01-08-11, 11:42 PM
Total poser. Probably a combat cook or supply or some such.

Wyoming
01-09-11, 08:35 AM
small face :banana:

Silly ****er

wildwoman73
01-09-11, 09:35 AM
Probably a combat cook or supply or some such.
HEY!!!!! Easy now.....

Sgt Leprechaun
01-09-11, 10:22 PM
:) No offense. I spent far more of my career as a pogue than as a grunt...and I retired from the AIR GUARD for gods sake so I'm likely far more 'pogey' than you :)

Jrod1188
03-02-11, 11:06 PM
"Pogey?"
Awesome.

Yeah the guy sounds like he is full of it.

Any of the Marines that I know that were FR, MARSOC, Snipers, or whatever other "high speed" job you can think of would NEVER refer to themselves as SF. In fact, my friend that was at 4th Recon BN said that their CO specifically came out and said, "never refer to yourself as special forces....because you're not."

tracs1833
03-02-11, 11:46 PM
Maybe his dog tags had his sexual preference which was sheep f***er.

wildwoman73
03-03-11, 03:54 PM
Ha!! Now...that wasn't nice.

Paul4iezos
03-03-11, 04:02 PM
Don't know if I am supposed to post this, so sorry if Im not supposed to.
Maybe he said special operations, because In "One Bullet Away" Nate Fick says that Recon Marines were put in 23 man platoons. Still, I've never heard of someone mentioning they were in a special operations group and not mention they were a Marine.

LandsNGrooves
03-04-11, 04:49 AM
If you wanna be technical, Recon and Rangers arnt "SF" even tho rangers are under Socom.

FAKE. SF never come out and say they are, most times even if you ask them. They are fine with "veteran" "soldier" etc.

LandsNGrooves
03-04-11, 04:52 AM
Don't know if I am supposed to post this, so sorry if Im not supposed to.
Maybe he said special operations, because In "One Bullet Away" Nate Fick says that Recon Marines were put in 23 man platoons. Still, I've never heard of someone mentioning they were in a special operations group and not mention they were a Marine.

Ever been to his house? Marsoc guys dont look" ex marine" or have moto bumper stickers, but will prob have a team photo on the computer desk at home, or in the man cave/ home armory.

Covey_Rider
03-04-11, 12:47 PM
This is really simple. If you haven't done so already, send a first and last name to someone here on this board. You can send it to me and I can verify if this guy is telling the truth or not.

Covey_Rider
03-04-11, 12:51 PM
Another question to you Diskman, who are you?

Why don't you have a profile filled out?
Why are you posting in the Marine section when you are obviously not a Marine?

Read the rules of the forum before you attempt to call out another Marine. For all you know he could be telling the truth.

Mullane
03-30-11, 11:42 PM
just another fake, like the guy who decided to beef himself up to a girl my brother knew, tried to tell her his job was SUPER secret, and couldnt tell her about it, some super secret squirrel intel bubba, probably told her he was an 0211, come to find out,(thanks to MOL) he was a straight up 0231 S2 POG, at the wing

and POG's are POG's, its hardly an insult, and Grunts are just Marines with no job skills

SkilletsUSMC
03-31-11, 12:10 AM
A friend and former Marine I served with is now an 18B with 1st SFG. Next time I see him, I'll ask, but it sounds like BS.