PDA

View Full Version : Early Enlistment

CA Joe B
01-07-11, 01:47 AM
I am a 16 year high school student and have wanted to be a U.S. Marine all my life. I want out of my house and my parents want me out too. I will turn 17 on 6/20/94 and was wondering if i get my G.E.D. by then if I could enlist in the Marine Corps when I turn 17 and go straight to boot camp then active duty? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your help and thank you for your service,
Joe Barslund

Lisa 23
01-07-11, 06:44 AM
You turned 17 in 1994, well...that makes your 24th birthday coming up in June.
How about filling out your profile so the Marines who are going to answer your questions know who they are talking to.

STAY IN SCHOOL AND GET YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA!!! With a GED, you also need 15 college credits.
At age 17, you will also need your parents signature.
At age 18, you don't.

Do a search on the site for GED and college credits and age requirements for enlisting.

SSgt Lamie
01-07-11, 11:28 AM
Stay in school and get your Diploma. Even though currently you can enlist with a GED and College Credits, that doesn't mean you will be able to by the time you complete everything.

I'm also curious as to why your Parents would want you out of the house so bad when you are only 16? What kind of issues do you have that would cause those feelings from your parents? There may be something else going on that you are not telling us that may prevent you from being able to enlist anyway.

CA Joe B
01-07-11, 12:23 PM
Sorry about the typo, I meant 6/20/11, I put 94 out of habit. Now this sounds really petty but my parents want me out because me and my little brother fight too much. My brother is my parents little angel and they think he would never do anything wrong. My brother is a smart kid and knows he can get away with anything so he always starts fights with me because he knows that no matter what I tell my parents, they will still believe that I was the one that caused the problems. I really don't know why its got this way or what I have done to desirve getting treated this way by my parents but they said they want me out and at this point I'm fine with that. They also said that they will gladly sign for me to go into the Marines when I turn 17.

Thank you

SSgt Lamie
01-07-11, 12:33 PM
Then I would just suggest to wait unitil you are 17. Sign up, finish school and then go to Recruit Training.

SGT7477
01-07-11, 02:29 PM
Profile up, Semper Fidelis.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-07-11, 11:15 PM
Stay in school, THEN enlist. The only smart way to go.