PDA

View Full Version : HH 5x3 Year Contract Question

Agent Johnson
01-06-11, 08:11 PM
I just dep'ed in this past monday I just logged on since then I have pmed a mod to change my status I am a poolee not a friend.

I have a ship date of Sept 19th 2011 with a UH, infantry contract. I had a few calls made and was offered a spot to leave in February with an HH contract, which is infantry but I will be enlisted for 5 years as opposed to 4. I am taking my career one step at a time I don't plan on staying in and I dont plan on bailing after my first enlistment.

Few questions...

While I understand this is my decision many of you have been through this before and I haven't so your wisdom could help me come to a decision.

Why would they want people to take a 5 year contract over 4? With deployment schedules it still seems likely that you will end up deploying 2 times regardless.

Is a year in the Marines really a year, as in did it seem like an eternity to you or did it kind of fly by?

Just in general would you choose a 5x3 as opposed to 4x4 and why?

Thanks for reading.

josephd
01-06-11, 08:39 PM
a year in the fleet will fly by, especially if your on deployment.

I have been in the reserves for going on 3 years now and it seems like just yesterday I was at the depot. I don't think I am venturing out very far by saying if your active duty it will go much quicker.

advanced
01-07-11, 09:33 AM
A week in combat seems like forever. After a week the best thing about combat is that you get numb to it.

SSgt Lamie
01-07-11, 10:45 AM
5 and 6 year Infantry Jobs used to be Bonus Programs, however with the popularity of Infantry jobs over the past few years the bonuses were dropped but the 5 and 6 year term of enlistments remained.

Typically when assigning someone to a 5 or 6 year program that does not include a bonus, the recruiter can attempt to get you a Marine Corps College Fund.

I suggest you speak with your Recruiter about those College Funds and see if you would be able to get one of those College Funds that would hepl you out down the road a bit.

DanM
01-07-11, 11:52 AM
What is 5 years? All Navy Hospital Corpsman who are active duty have a 5 year enlistment.

advanced
01-07-11, 03:53 PM
What is 5 years? All Navy Hospital Corpsman who are active duty have a 5 year enlistment.

That's a small price to pay to be with us.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-07-11, 11:17 PM
Changed to Poolee....congrats.