PDA

View Full Version : (Not) Another Foreigner Enlistment Question

seemann87
01-06-11, 05:43 AM
Hello everyone, my name's Pedro, 23 years old, from Brazil. Also happen to be citizen of Portugal. My parents came from Europe.

Question:

I've been in the US a few times, as a tourist with my family, i work in an american company in Brazil and I can speak, write and read in english fluently.

My grandfather was an officer in the Reich Handelsmarine (merchant navy), and since i was a kid i wanted to serve in a REAL ARMED FORCE. I've always loved the way the americans deal with warfare, despite of many self claimed peace lovers say, i see that warfare there always aim the state of the art, it is taken as a science.
Not being as "ass kisser" but there isn't anything in the world as the United States Marine Corps, and for years i dream with the possibility of joining it.

Concluding, im aware that i need a green card prior being considered for enlistment, is that correct? Plus, i will turn 24 in march 20th of 2011, am I not too old for that? I mean, i would have to live there for 4 years in a steady job and residence, before being able to join, is that it? i would be 28 years old by then =/.

I'm accepting ANY commentary regarding that. So, in short, in a scale from 0 to 10, 0 being "impossible" and 10 "you are in", what are my odds?

Before anyone say:

You can only enlist in Brazil when you are 18, they pay less than $250 month, your duty will be as a housekeeper for officers in decaying HQs. In nutshell, warfare here isn't serious business.

As for Portugal, this is my last year to try my way in the army there, but as i love the USMC, if there's i chance, i will take it. Besides, Portugal doesn't get much involved in big conflicts, and there's the economic crisis.. so it's pretty much a likely "kick-out" after 2 years of volunteered service.

Also:

I've served 6 months as a soldier in the São Paulo State Military Police (pretty much a state police gendarme like)

I'm seriously counting on you guys to analyze my case :).

Thank you very much!

PS: as much as i love the US i don't mind living there, my point here is not the "american dream" nor the "us citizenship". If i were in the US Military i wouldn't mind to live my whole life in middle east, in a military base (Kandahar, for example).