PDA

View Full Version : Lifting weights in preperation for boot camp

John84446
01-05-11, 08:19 PM
Do you think it is good for me to lift weights before boot camp? Or just stick to cardio related exercises like pushups running pullups etc.
Or can I lift weights as well??
Are there any negative things about lifting weights beforeboot camp?

TheReservist
01-05-11, 09:47 PM
I would suggest looking into crossfit. On their website they provide a workout on a 3-on / 1 off schedule, which is a mix across a variety of disciplines, bodyweight exercises, power lifting, cardio, olympic lifting. This pretty much acclimates your body to everything and will get you ready for both the CFT and PFT.

If you just go on the website, www.crossfit.com, you can see the workouts for free. If you want to go to an affiliate gym, they are usually expensive.
On bases, like 29 palms had crossfit ripper (I believe that's what they were called, right by the armory), there are usually a bunch of places to do crossfit.

I'll say that I did crossfit for 6 months before I shipped and went from 120 to 150 lbs and was in the best shape of my life. In boot, my pullups actually went down but my run went up.

DeCePtionx
01-05-11, 11:45 PM
It would be good for you to do both,although if you lift weights now you will probably get weaker during boot camp since you will only be doing bodyweight exercises.

SlingerDun
01-06-11, 12:29 AM
Push-ups and pull-ups aren't exactly whats commonly known as cardio. Unless you can pump reps out long and steady enough to raise your heart rate for at least 20- 25- minutes or more? That would require a PT stud to take very short breaks between sets, if any. Like 5 minutes of continuous push-ups followed by a very short break, then max pull-ups and right into push-ups again without a break - don't want that heart rate to drop; pull-ups, mix it up with air squats or bleachers, short breather :repeat: That's cardio. But it's not much fun, hard to sustain, and look forward to your next workout when it feels like torture.

Getting thrashed by a D.I. for 20 + minutes is insane cardio, but if no hats are available:evilgrin:then not many people can push themselves that hard without mighty powerful incentive.

A human being can diligently lift low weight/high reps for years on end and feel fit. But when you need power for moving heavy furniture up and down stairs, putting up large bales of alfalfa, flanking large springer calves, and whipping somebody bigger than you, it won't quite be there; days of soreness follow.

Regardless, start off lifting weights moderately, don't lift fast or hurky jerky, practice good form, stretch between sets [http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif] and i can't think of many reasons why a healthy person would not benefit from increased muscle and strength acquired through weight training.
Are there any negative things about lifting weights beforeboot camp?Getting injuredhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif The weight pile doesn't care how much you can throw around, it will always win at the end of the day. Be smart

03Mike
01-06-11, 08:34 AM
Do you think it is good for me to lift weights before boot camp? Or just stick to cardio related exercises like pushups running pullups etc.

I guess that depends on you -- are you currently a big weightlifter?

From my experience, those guys who spend a lot of time lifting and come into boot camp all bulked up will frequently struggle because they don't have the endurance necessary.

Weight lifting as a part of a diverse and balanced work out is a good idea. Spending an hour and a half in the gym pumping iron, getting a good burn and a good pump isn't the workout that will benefit you at boot camp.

As mentioned above, "Crossfit" is a good idea. Whatever you do, mix up your workout. Distance running one day, stadium steps/hills & sprints one day, bike one day, cross training, etc.

The only way to get better at pull ups, is to do pull ups. You can hang a weight around your waist or you can do pyramids or you can do the Armstrong program -- none of them work if you don't do them religiously. Likewise, the only way to improve your run time is to run. Mix up your runs for distance, speed, and elevation. Work in cross training to keep the workouts fresh.

Good luck.